What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RB already thinning out

Freshman season, suffered a concussion in the 7th game. Didn't play in week 8. Wasn't the same the rest of the year and was not a starter in the remaining games.

Sophomore season, had 16 carries in the opener, then less than 10 carries each of the next 4 weeks. Decided he was ready to roll in game 6 and had high usage in games 6-9, with over 100 yards in games 8 & 9. In game 10, he hurt his knee early and missed the rest of the season. Had minor surgery on it after the year was over.

Sophomore season #2, played well at Hawaii and against UMass (22 & 19 carries, 209 yards with 3 TDs). Then, 1 carry against CSU, going down with a severe hamstring injury that caused him to miss the rest of the year. NCAA granted a medical waiver so that the season counted as a redshirt year.

Thanks for that. Maybe a trend, but I'd contend the jury is still out.

DLee reminds me a bit of Lamont Warren, CUs starting RB the next three seasons after EB graduated and then left after his Junior year, giving way to Salaam. He was so silky smooth, but without the outright explosiveness of our previous running attack. I had no idea he was as good as he was until he was drafted and hung around the NFL for 8 years, proving to me that I underrated his game.

Lamont was a very cool under-the-radar-screen RB. Had a nice pro career, as you say.

I get that they had to put Moeller on the defense due to the problems there, but I've often wondered what he would have done as a RB.

I get that they had to put Moeller on the defense due to the problems there, but I've often wondered what he would have done as a RB.
I can honestly say that I've never given the idea of Moeller at RB a single thought.

I can honestly say that I've never given the idea of Moeller at RB a single thought.

Yeah. When a walk-on finds a position where he earns early playing time and a scholarship, becoming a sophomore starter, it doesn't enter my head that maybe he's playing out of position.

@PAHIBuff - did you see Moeller play in HS or something?

Yeah. When a walk-on finds a position where he earns early playing time and a scholarship, becoming a sophomore starter, it doesn't enter my head that maybe he's playing out of position.

@PAHIBuff - did you see Moeller play in HS or something?

He was a MONSTER RB at Rifle, CO HS (medium/small division), in a part of the state that doesn't get recruited heavily. I don't have the numbers at hand but he consistently ran for over 200-250 ypg and sometimes over 300. A western slope McCaffrey, if you will. If he'd have taken any of his FCS offers he'd have been a great FCS RB. Actually, if he'd have been able to go to a really good P5 program, he'd probably been playing RB from the start.

He was a MONSTER RB at Rifle, CO HS (medium/small division), in a part of the state that doesn't get recruited heavily. I don't have the numbers at hand but he consistently ran for over 200-250 ypg and sometimes over 300. A western slope McCaffrey, if you will. If he'd have taken any of his FCS offers he'd have been a great FCS RB. Actually, if he'd have been able to go to a really good P5 program, he'd probably been playing RB from the start.

I don't know that he was a great RB as much as he was just far and away the best athlete on the field. I picture him in college as one of those RBs who spends his time looking for somebody to run into. I think in HS lots of his yards came from running somebody over then running past and away from everyone else.

My sense is that safety is the right place for him.

It also shows just how out of touch Embree was in refusing to give him a scholly from day one. We need to be thankful that Ryan was a Buff through and through because had he pursued it he could have been a star in at least the MWC on scholly from day one.

I don't know that he was a great RB as much as he was just far and away the best athlete on the field. I picture him in college as one of those RBs who spends his time looking for somebody to run into. I think in HS lots of his yards came from running somebody over then running past and away from everyone else.

It also shows just how out of touch Embree was in refusing to give him a scholly from day one. We need to be thankful that Ryan was a Buff through and through because had he pursued it he could have been a star in at least the MWC on scholly from day one.
Considering all that "talent" that WB recruited east of the Mississippi (Yuri Wright anyone?)....its like he adopted the RPatton, "No Colo kid is good enough" attitude!

I think you are exaggerating quite a bit with your last sentence. Why would he have more opportunities at RB at a bigger, better program than CU?

I think you are exaggerating quite a bit with your last sentence. Why would he have more opportunities at RB at a bigger, better program than CU?

Possibly/Probably. He was plugged in at a position of extreme need at CU. In any event, it worked out well for him.

Here's the deal, and JMHO. I think if RM would have lived/played in a big Front Range Colorado HS he'd have easily racked up 1500-2000 yds per season as a junior and a senior, and been recruited as a RB by CSU, Wyo, and a few other G5s, and possibly some P5s. I do agree that safety is a good spot for him at CU, a program which is utterly clueless about the running game. He might get a look as an UDFA as a safety in the NFL.

This is a thread about CU RBs. I hope to heck that Julmisse is as good as I hope he might be, because we suck at RB. Lindsay is not great, and Beau B is a risk. Lee is not a RB.
If RM was inserted onto the offense right now he'd likely be the best back on the team, with Adkins being hurt most of the time.

You realize MM did not give him a scholarship from day one either... right?

Here's the deal, and JMHO. I think if RM would have lived/played in a big Front Range Colorado HS he'd have easily racked up 1500-2000 yds per season as a junior and a senior, and been recruited as a RB by CSU, Wyo, and a few other G5s, and possibly some P5s. I do agree that safety is a good spot for him at CU, a program which is utterly clueless about the running game. He might get a look as an UDFA as a safety in the NFL.

This is a thread about CU RBs. I hope to heck that Julmisse is as good as I hope he might be, because we suck at RB. Lindsay is not great, and Beau B is a risk. Lee is not a RB.
If RM was inserted onto the offense right now he'd likely be the best back on the team, with Adkins being hurt most of the time.
There have multiple RBs on the front range over the last few years that have rushed for 1800-2000 yards that haven't been recruited as a RB. RM is a good player for CU and has found a way onto the field as a starter at S. Quit trying to make erroneous claims that he could be a dominant RB on this, or any other G5 or P5 team.

You realize MM did not give him a scholarship from day one either... right?

There was no need to, he was already locked into coming as a PWO. M2 also hadn't spent any time evaluating him.

He didn't have the MWC offers because he had made it clear that he was going to CU.

Should he have had a list of P5 offers? No, he came from a small school the played weak competition and he dominated because he was a better athlete than everybody, he wasn't a better athlete than P5 players.

He was however a better football player than a number of guys that were signed in that time period based on HS performance like Hasselbeck and Lisella and even Lindsay.

Compare what he has accomplished so far on the field to what the majority of the guys signed in the Embree and early M2 classes have combined with his HS career and his character and tell me that Embree was right to have forced him to walk on.

Again I can understand M2 doing it, he simply didn't have the time to know but JE almost screwed this one up good.

Embree definitely dropped the ball in not pursuing Moeller more aggressively, but why would you automatically give a scholarship to a player you are unsure about due to the level of competition if you knew he would come as a PWO?
Makes very little sense.

Embree definitely dropped the ball in not pursuing Moeller more aggressively, but why would you automatically give a scholarship to a player you are unsure about due to the level of competition if you knew he would come as a PWO?
Makes very little sense.

Because as much as he wanted to be a Buff it would have been very easy for him to go elsewhere.

I know that at least 3-4 MWC programs were very interested and he could have had school paid for. It isn't unreasonable to think that some other lower end P5 school could have come in and sold him on signing with them.

He loved CU and had his heart set on CU but when you are talking about the full cost of attending versus having it fully paid for minds can change.

Only one of many things that JE did though that resulted in taking the bad program that Hawkins left him and turning it into a black hole.

The junta had some pretty good info that all he wanted was a chance at CU, so again, why are you contradicting yourself? He was all CU, provided he was given a fair shot. PWO was a perfectly good scenario.

Back