What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RB position

White_Rabbit

Club Member
Club Member
What does everyone think of the freshman RBs? All I can recall reading about them from the practices was Torres got some carries in the scrimmage. I was just wondering if any of the other guys stood out to anyone that went to some practices. Imo, finding another guy or two to get some carries along with OL are the only thing stopping our offense from being pretty good this year for once.

I love Speedy, but he's a very small hard nosed runner that will probably not get through an entire season without some injuries. Lockridge is really fast in a straight line, but I'm not sure I want him carrying the ball more than 5 times a game. Hildreth, sounds like a decent contributer, hopefully he surprises me.

I hope Quick will surprise you.
The only thing that would surprise me is if he's not on scholarship by the third game of the season.

824346.jpg

The issue I have with the running game is that this coaching staff has never instilled the attitude to effectively run the football. That puts us at a disadvantage right away.

But getting to the backs, I like the group as a whole, I just wonder how you can effectively spread the ball around. Hagan's substitutions have been very odd at times, and we're talking about 4-5 different guys here. Nice to have some depth, but it would also be nice to have a guy that can be the guy.

I'm not a Hagan fan. I am a big fan of B-Lock - great kid. I didn't come away from the scrimmage thinking anyone was going to wow us after Speedy though.

How have the 4 freshman looked? I was hoping one of the Jones boys would come in and impress. I'm just worried about the scenario of Speedy pulling a muscle and missing a game or two and suddenly we're relying on Lockridge and Hildreth with some contribution from the freshman. Also, who's our 3rd down back?

Sometimes I get the feeling that for this season Hagan is not coaching running backs he's coaching backfield blockers to protect the QB and air game. This actually works for me since he didn't seem to be capable of coaching the RBs on how to run last season...or the one before that.

Well, I did read one thing I liked. Torres, according to the article, is a McDougal/Gerhart type of runner. I like that kind of mentality and toughness. He picked up 35 yards on 7 carries in the scrimmage, I think.

Speedy won't make it through an entire season of 15-25 carries/gm. We need one of the bigger young guys to surprise this year - I was hoping for Allen to be the guy but Torres has impressed the most so far. We need a friggin 3rd and 1 back, haven't had one since Vickers.

Other than a broken leg on a highly dirty/illegal play vs aTm, I think Speedy has been pretty durable actually. But he needs some help.

The 4 freshmen haven't really had much chance to showcase their talent before practices were closed. The scrimmage featured in this order:

Speedy, Block, Hildreth, Nabors, Allen, Torres, with Torres getting some extra carries after some good runs. Allen seems a little too upright ala Chris Brown.
I didn't notice the Jones boys getting any PT.

JT is a big boy, but he's not McDougal/Gerhart (yet). He needs some more time, but he seems very well coached (Thanks Mike M)

Speedy has been nursing a knee and Hildreth a toe issue.

Other than a broken leg on a highly dirty/illegal play vs aTm, I think Speedy has been pretty durable actually. But he needs some help.

The 4 freshmen haven't really had much chance to showcase their talent before practices were closed. The scrimmage featured in this order:

Speedy, Block, Hildreth, Nabors, Allen, Torres, with Torres getting some extra carries after some good runs. Allen seems a little too upright ala Chris Brown.
I didn't notice the Jones boys getting any PT.

JT is a big boy, but he's not McDougal/Gerhart (yet). He needs some more time, but he seems very well coached (Thanks Mike M)

Speedy has been nursing a knee and Hildreth a toe issue.

:smile2:

I'm not saying he's injury plagued or something, but he has a tough running style and he's severely undersized, injuries are bound to happen. I just hope, like you said, a couple guys can step up and help him out so we don't feed him the ball 25 times a game and then wonder why he's beat up by week 8.

Back