What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Real concerns regarding this team

Wow I am sure all will be fixed now....
yes because that was my point you twat.. There is something seriously wrong with this team, I dont think anyone is denying that, except maybe tini... The point I'm trying to make is that this staff hasnt quit. Yeah CSU sucked... A lot. Hell, i predicted a bowl game...It doesn't mean there isn't still a lot to play for this season...

Actually knowing full well fans would check the "Construction Cam" the staff left the lights on after leaving

So catching up on Hard Knocks this weekend, and thinking maybe we can bring in the Falcons special teams coach to go over the game film with the team.

Last night was when reality jumped up and hit Buff Fans in the face (or maybe ~24 inches lower).

Defense - we gave 266 yards on the ground to a team that had 5 new starters on the Offensive Line for most of the game. CSU does not have more talent than CU but they certainly got more out of the talent they do have. Our defensive alignments and assignments are very predictable, there is little mixing it up and less imagination.

Offense was the same way - the other team adjusted and CU was done.

My big concern is we only scored 17 points against CSU, how is that going to translate against teams with more talent than CSU. And I do not even want to think about what some real offenses are going to do to our defense - CSU QB struggled and they just switched to the run and killed us.

Unless things change quick we are in for a long season.

This is the trend that worries me most. We can not stop the other team from scoring and it seems to get worse in the 2nd half. Its been a theme even beyond MacIntyre but he is the current guy sitting in that chair so its his problem.

One thing that's becoming a trend with games under MacIntyre is that we're seeing very good initial game plans followed by the other team adjusting and the Buffs having no answer.

I don't know enough to say whether that's mostly a coaching issue, mostly a lack of veteran player leadership issue, mostly a lack of talent issue, or something else. But we have been an awful counter-punching team in the last year + 1 game.

Counterpunch? JE didn't have one, pretty sure Hawk didn't for 90% of his games, and maybe Barney was the last to have one. Even Skippy was just ahead most of the time, so not sure he had to come up with one either.

Counterpunch? JE didn't have one, pretty sure Hawk didn't for 90% of his games, and maybe Barney was the last to have one. Even Skippy was just ahead most of the time, so not sure he had to come up with one either.

Watching the LSU-Wisconsin game last night, I think the counterpunch thing is less about schematic adjustment and more about having a culture where everyone refuses to get beat. Les Miles isn't exactly known as an x's & o's guru. But that team dug deep, fought back and took over.

BNG referred to CSU "getting more out of the talent they had" on Friday and that is 100% spot on. I expected our team to play much better than they did given their level of experience and all the coaching they have had under Mac and his staff. We are into our second year with this coach and what we saw on Friday looked like the same level of confusion with the system and poor technique as they had in the first game last year. Have we made no progress despite a whole season, spring and fall camps worth of coaching put into the players?

I've been very supportive of Mac because he seemed like (and his reputation has been) a coach who could actually teach the players how to play and get the most out of them, but after Friday I'm not so sure. I really expected our OL and DL to execute better. We regularly had people out of position or not knowing who to block and their technique seems to have made zero progress.

This really concerns me. We still have a significant talent gap in the PAC but we do have enough talent to have a .500 season if they are well coached and play to their potential. We need Mac to get more out of our players. We are never going to get big name recruits to even consider coming CU to help close our talent gap until we start showing that Colorado is a place where your potential will be maximized and not squandered.

Watching the LSU-Wisconsin game last night, I think the counterpunch thing is less about schematic adjustment and more about having a culture where everyone refuses to get beat. Les Miles isn't exactly known as an x's & o's guru. But that team dug deep, fought back and took over.

So........like CSU did? Yep..already know the answer. Next year and rest of this season will be interesting to watch. Thought our kids had learned how to fight back last year but didn't see it against CSU.

BNG referred to CSU "getting more out of the talent they had" on Friday and that is 100% spot on. I expected our team to play much better than they did given their level of experience and all the coaching they have had under Mac and his staff. We are into our second year with this coach and what we saw on Friday looked like the same level of confusion with the system and poor technique as they had in the first game last year. Have we made no progress despite a whole season, spring and fall camps worth of coaching put into the players?

I've been very supportive of Mac because he seemed like (and his reputation has been) a coach who could actually teach the players how to play and get the most out of them, but after Friday I'm not so sure. I really expected our OL and DL to execute better. We regularly had people out of position or not knowing who to block and their technique seems to have made zero progress.

This really concerns me. We still have a significant talent gap in the PAC but we do have enough talent to have a .500 season if they are well coached and play to their potential. We need Mac to get more out of our players. We are never going to get big name recruits to even consider coming CU to help close our talent gap until we start showing that Colorado is a place where your potential will be maximized and not squandered.

He also said, or someone else said, somewhere else that "stars don't matter". It was a "tongue in cheek" reference to their RB transfer from Alabama. Its disingenuous to suggest that both teams had equal talent when one of the teams has a nationally ranked skill position player and the other one doesn't have any nationally ranked skill players. Were starting to talk in circles here.

How CSU lines up against better talent could be telling about their year. But if Sparkles wins a bunch more on that guys back it could translate to him getting a RB recruiting win or two down the road.

He also said, or someone else said, somewhere else that "stars don't matter". It was a "tongue in cheek" reference to their RB transfer from Alabama. Its disingenuous to suggest that both teams had equal talent when one of the teams has a nationally ranked skill position player and the other one doesn't have any nationally ranked skill players. Were starting to talk in circles here.

How CSU lines up against better talent could be telling about their year. But if Sparkles wins a bunch more on that guys back it could translate to him getting a RB recruiting win or two down the road.

It actually was a sarcastic come back to fans who want it both ways - in recruiting it is stars don't matter and then on the field they have "more talent". Hart is a good player but that argument disregards the fact that every RB they put out there was running just as well. CSU you does not have more talent but on Friday night they had more toughness.

Go look at their roster at the transfers and jucos they brought in. Add in the risky guys they've kept eligible compared to all the Embree risks that never saw the field. Then tell me they don't have better athletes.

Dee hart is a one legged guy deemed too washed up to play elite ball and he absolutely destroyed our Buffs. He'd be the best rb on our roster by a gigantic margin.

Talent. Or lack thereof.

I would hope we could work to correct the team quitting and being soft but this giant talent problem is going to lead to week after week of double digit ass beatings when we get into conference.

Not ready for prime time.

:yeahthat: It occured to me the past couple of years following these CU message boards, and has been positively confirmed since Friday night, that the source of much of the fans' disappointment is that they really don't understand how screwed up the Buffs are in the "raw talent" department. The present roster is lower half Mtn West or 75th percentile Big Sky, talent wise. I understand that sounds like hyperbole but I've said it for 3 years now because it's true.

One specific observation is that the departure of Prich is a huge ouch - we all knew that but seeing it play out over the course of an entire game was sobering.

And we still have people speculating about how CU is going to do against ASU........

yes because that was my point you twat.. There is something seriously wrong with this team, I dont think anyone is denying that, except maybe tini... The point I'm trying to make is that this staff hasnt quit. Yeah CSU sucked... A lot. Hell, i predicted a bowl game...It doesn't mean there isn't still a lot to play for this season...

Watch it butterball, I am in a foul mood.

I am glad the staff hasn't quit, I just wonder aloud if they can no matter how hard they are trying. I saw a team that was cowed by a Mtn. West squad. I said it in antoher thread, CU needs FB players. Kind of like what nik said above, guys who would rather die than get beat. I saw a lot "gee whiz, these guys came to play looks" rather than, I'm pissed and I am going right back at these clowns. Looked an awful lot like a Hawk team to me. That is an attitude problem. CU needs some Chris Naeole types, guys who will gut it out.

Last edited:
Back