What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

That wouldn't work either. The reason the Big-12 makes more money is because they have less mouths to feed and there is now way those top programs would agree to equal revenue sharing by adding G5 programs.
It likely won't work, but CSU was a legitimate candidate when they were exploring expansion. But regardless, that's certainly the worst case. CSU sharing the PAC with us is by no means worst case. As mentioned the other day, I personally hope the PAC persists with its current membership forever, but wouldn't mind some combo of CSU/ BYU/ BSU if ever it expanded.

It likely won't work, but CSU was a legitimate candidate when they were exploring expansion. But regardless, that's certainly the worst case. CSU sharing the PAC with us is by no means worst case. As mentioned the other day, I personally hope the PAC persists with its current membership forever, but wouldn't mind some combo of CSU/ BYU/ BSU if ever it expanded.
Yeah I couldn't disagree more with what you are saying. CSU joining the Pac-12 is worst case scenario. It reduces payouts to current members, frustrated those top tier programs in the conference to push for uneven revenue sharing and dilutes the current TV market. On the other hand, if CSU joins the Big-12 we gain an in state OOC P5 matchup every year, they reduce the payouts to current Big-12 members, and then we get to see all the **** they have to deal with in being in a Big-12 south based conference.

Leaving AAC to rejoin the Big East. Likely means Villanova model of football going back to FCS.

Means more Big East expansion is likely (VCU?).

Means UConn is out for ACC or B1G consideration.

Means AAC will be looking to poach someone.

Dominoes will start to fall at the G5 level, which will set the stage for what P5 decides to do for the next round of media deals (starting with B1G).

Poaching only happens if the TV money is there. Going from dividing the pot by 14 to dividing it by 16 is going to be a nonstarter. Attendance continues to fall. Cordcutting seems to have slowed but there is not growth.

Yeah I couldn't disagree more with what you are saying. CSU joining the Pac-12 is worst case scenario. It reduces payouts to current members, frustrated those top tier programs in the conference to push for uneven revenue sharing and dilutes the current TV market. On the other hand, if CSU joins the Big-12 we gain an in state OOC P5 matchup every year, they reduce the payouts to current Big-12 members, and then we get to see all the **** they have to deal with in being in a Big-12 south based conference.
We're looking at this from different starting points then. I thought it was an assumed part of the hypothetical that neither conference would expand unless it was somehow profitable in their future setup.

We're looking at this from different starting points then. I thought it was an assumed part of the hypothetical that neither conference would expand unless it was somehow profitable in their future setup.
Well that eliminates every school other than BYU.

I dunno....I think I'd rather having the ewes in the PAC rather than playing them every year (or almost every year) as an out of conference foe. That would free up an OOC game to be against some team more meaningful.

I dunno....I think I'd rather having the ewes in the PAC rather than playing them every year (or almost every year) as an out of conference foe. That would free up an OOC game to be against some team more meaningful.
Yeah, but if they were in the Big 12, it would be a very meaningful game

Poaching only happens if the TV money is there. Going from dividing the pot by 14 to dividing it by 16 is going to be a nonstarter. Attendance continues to fall. Cordcutting seems to have slowed but there is not growth.
Going to 16 could increase the pot, though.

With 9 conference games, that's also an increase of 18 games of inventory to sell.

I think it would also open the door to a 2-round conference championship. That adds 2 semi-final game "events" that would be worth as much money as a regular season major rivalry game or matchup between 2 ranked conference teams -- maybe more.

Yes, the pie divides into 2 more slices. But the pie also gets bigger. The question is whether the pie gets enough bigger.

I can see a scenario where UNLV is in the PAC. They really don’t move the needle much in terms of viewers, though. Maybe that changes if we are actually in the market. Thats not a given, though.

If the Pac were to only look at 'up and coming' schools due to population centers wouldn't UNLV and Houston be the best choices ?

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/jun/24/raiders-unlv-football-cheap-access-vegas-stadium/
42nd tv market and growing, brand new stadium

https://uhcougars.com/sports/2018/6/12/TDECU-Stadium-FAQ-html.aspx
10th tv market - 3rd largest university in Texas with 46K students, stadium built 5 years ago holding 40K that could expand to 60K
I think several people on here have suggested UNLV before. I hope we'd never take Houston (as a fan; I'm not talking like a TV exec). Regional identity/ geographically sensible rivalries is what makes college football great, historically.

If the Pac were to only look at 'up and coming' schools due to population centers wouldn't UNLV and Houston be the best choices ?

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/jun/24/raiders-unlv-football-cheap-access-vegas-stadium/

10th tv market - 3rd largest university in Texas with 46K students, stadium built 5 years ago holding 40K that could expand to 60K
I've said many times that I favor the idea of adding UH to the Pac12 (both for selfish and unselfish reasons). And I know there has been some water under the bridge since the big Texas-Houston spat in 2001, but I if we add Houston, I think you are closing the door to adding Texas. Texas does not want to elevate the stature of UH, to the point where they are on equal footing for recruiting the Houston area. I don't think Texas and Houston will be part of any package deal.

Yep. Add Houston, Tulane, UNLV and (KU, CSU, Air Force, NM, or other Texas school to be named later). Houston, Tulane, Buffs, and other school in one pod. UNLV, Utah, Stripper U and MildCats in another. Cali schools get theirs, Pacific NW schools the last. Ensure each team plays a team from each pod - ensuring you get a California team each season. The last 3 conference games would all be from one pod, so you play one team from each pod every year, and play an entire pod once every 3 years.

Travel partners: CU/(KU, CSU, Air Force, NM, or other Texas school to be named later), Houston/Tulane, UNLV/Utah, ASU/UofA, U$C/fUCLA, Stan/Cal, Oregonians, Washingtonians.

Top football team from each pod makes 4 team conference playoff. Profit.

See that sounds awful to me.
I agree, but the Cali mafia isn't letting SDSU or any other California school in, so the only expansion is east. Heck, they probably won't allow UNLV because they think they already own vegas. BYU is a non-starter. Last time I checked CU is the eastern most school so they will be stuck with any new members. God I miss the Big 8 more and more.

I agree, but the Cali mafia isn't letting SDSU or any other California school in, so the only expansion is east. Heck, they probably won't allow UNLV because they think they already own vegas. BYU is a non-starter. Last time I checked CU is the eastern most school so they will be stuck with any new members. God I miss the Big 8 more and more.
I don't miss the Big 8 as a whole - I think we really do fit in a western conference - but I do miss the Nebraska game/ having an actual annual rivalry game that meant something.

I don't miss the Big 8 as a whole - I think we really do fit in a western conference - but I do miss the Nebraska game/ having an actual annual rivalry game that meant something.

Having a rivalry game that means something means playing games in general that mean something. Until we start winning 9+ games a year on a regular basis it doesn't matter who our rival is or isn't.

I'd be cool with CSU in either conference to create a legitimate rivalry that is more meaningful to both programs. That is me talking as a fan, not what I think is the smart move from either P5 conference from a business perspective.
gag ... I'd actually prefer ....gag ...cough ...gah ....Nebraska in the Pac with CU.

Having a rivalry game that means something means playing games in general that mean something. Until we start winning 9+ games a year on a regular basis it doesn't matter who our rival is or isn't.
I mean, sure, but that doesn't negate the point. We could be winning 10 games a year right now and we still wouldn't have any truly meaningful rivalry game on the schedule, apart from whatever impact you think our current once every few years OOC rivalry games impact SOS.

I'd be cool with CSU in either conference to create a legitimate rivalry that is more meaningful to both programs. That is me talking as a fan, not what I think is the smart move from either P5 conference from a business perspective.
Completely agree. As it stands now, I hate the CSU game because it's not beneficial to the Buffs at all. Either cut it off, or I'd be all for them joining a P5 conference.

Back