What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

In a future where it's all pay per view and streaming, markets dont matter. Teams that win and competitive will always matter. We are the oregon st and wsu except they beat us recently.

Serious question... If the P5 secedes from the NCAA, what's to stop that newly created "league" from going full professional and competing with the NFL? If they are no longer governed by NCAA, what rules suggest you must be a student enrolled at the University to play? Of course, they could self-impose rules to keep it just to college kids, but why would there be eligibility limits? Would multi-year and multi-million $$ contracts come into play? Free agency?

In a future where it's all pay per view and streaming, markets dont matter. Teams that win and competitive will always matter. We are the oregon st and wsu except they beat us recently.
I don't think it's ever going to be straight PPV. Far too much money to be had in bundling deals, whether it's cable/satellite or streaming services. And unless the top 25-30 teams decide to just create their own tier 1 league, even the ****ty teams will be needed to fill out the schedules.

The NCAA has been steadily losing influence for years. As a governing body, they’re a paper tiger. If they actually decided to put the hammer down on a school like Alabama or Ohio State, they would soon find themselves in charge of a bunch of D-2 schools.
I love college football and fear for the future of it. Yes it never has been "fair." There have always been schools with more resources, easier recruiting, more supportive administrations. Yes there have always been those schools who thought the rules didn't apply to them.

It looks though like we may be moving into an entirely different era were what we know as college football is gone. Players will openly seek the highest bidder, the best financial arrangement. If it isn't what they want or somebody comes through with a "better" offer they will be off to the next school.

As much as I love watching Buffs football (even when they are bad) if we end up moving this direction I may end up dropping my interest level and put more attention on the small college game.

Even at D2 things aren't even but the kids are there for the most part because they love the game. Most at some point have a dream of "being discovered" but also know that they are in their last years of playing the game.

CU is squarely on the bubble of top tier football schools. Certainly not elite, but somewhere in that group of 20-30 schools that have the ability to be very good for an extended period of time. When changes come, where will CU fall in the new order of things?

Serious question... If the P5 secedes from the NCAA, what's to stop that newly created "league" from going full professional and competing with the NFL? If they are no longer governed by NCAA, what rules suggest you must be a student enrolled at the University to play? Of course, they could self-impose rules to keep it just to college kids, but why would there be eligibility limits? Would multi-year and multi-million $$ contracts come into play? Free agency?
Unless they figure out how to make the football programs a separate legal entity which would mean losing the benefits of being part of the universities they would still be subject to title IX rules.

That means that if your average player is making $45,000 (a few big money guys and a bunch getting the minimum) then they would have to fund an equivalent amount to the women's golf team, soccer, softball, etc.

Would they then be subject to minimum wage laws? How about workmen's comp? How much does a destroyed knee cost?

Most of the G5 would have a hard time even trying to keep up. CSU already subsidizes football by about $15 million per year.

Some would argue that the money could come directly from boosters to the kids for their images and names but then is a school subject to being sued if a kid believes the school has denied him the chance to get a share of that money. And that money wouldn't be "new" money, it would come out of what those booster budget to donate to the schools.

Beyond that what standards would apply academically. Would a kid even have to pretend to be a student? Would entrance requirements be enforceable?

I could see this blowing up in the face of those who were so concerned about the players getting their share suddenly facing a situation where the opportunity to even play is limited or gone for large numbers of players.

The most intriguing part of that column, IMO.
Not this?

Different economic models for Power Five and Group of Five schools.

And within the Power Five, different rules for the elites — for the 20 or 30 schools that have the resources and the tradition and the football culture to join an exclusive club.

“Are the students getting paid? And are they getting paid across the board, or just the schools that can afford it,” said the media executive.

There are conversations going on right now about how you might split the top five (conferences) in two.

“And if you’re a media company and you get the top 30 schools to play each other every Saturday, that looks a lot like the NFL.”

Which would be a good thing — for the media companies.

CU will not be invited to that party.

CU is squarely on the bubble of top tier football schools. Certainly not elite, but somewhere in that group of 20-30 schools that have the ability to be very good for an extended period of time. When changes come, where will CU fall in the new order of things?

Look what happened to Clemson circa 2008-now, they hired the right guy. It could happen to us.

That is an interesting schedule announcement and that is what other independents have been doing with other independents not named Norte Dame or BYU...scheduling home and homes for the same season.

I assume Hawaii has until June 30th to notify the MWC of its withdrawl. Could be a ploy to get concessions from the MWC so stay tuned.

That's bizarre to me. Really points to how difficult it is to schedule if you're not in a conference (unless you're Notre Dame, which everyone would want to play if given the opportunity).

It's possible Hawaii had to play NMSU again after one school backed out for next year.

The hack from the Oregonian suggesting UO and SC look at leaving the P12 and possibly become independent goes beyond rational. If I were a SC fan I'd be..show me your Heisman and Natty trophies before making comparisons.

The hack from the Oregonian suggesting UO and SC look at leaving the P12 and possibly become independent goes beyond rational. If I were a SC fan I'd be..show me your Heisman and Natty trophies before making comparisons.
Oregon has the funding and national brand to do whatever they want, regardless of their historical results.

lol ...Oregon women's bball a national tv draw ? really ??

Kelly Graves’ women’s basketball program looks like a strong bet to reach the Final Four and is a huge national television draw

Oregon has the funding and national brand to do whatever they want, regardless of their historical results.
I would agree if for all of it's money Oregon could swing a big a stick as ND. I'd compare SC with Texas when it comes to most likely to succeed by going independent.

USC and Oregon would be worse off as independents. I'm not against using the threat to light a fire under the powers that control the Pac 12, though.

Last edited:
I would agree if for all of it's money Oregon could swing a big a stick as ND. I'd compare SC with Texas when it comes to most likely to succeed by going independent.
What I could see is a separate association of something like 16-20 schools including ND, USC, UT, and some others getting premium TV money playing a schedule mostly among themselves.

Oregon doesn't have the history but their membership would come with Nike being a title sponsor of the organization.

lol ...Oregon women's bball a national tv draw ? really ??

Kelly Graves’ women’s basketball program looks like a strong bet to reach the Final Four and is a huge national television draw
WBB NCAA Tourney game of UConn vs Notre Dame last year grabbed a Friday night viewership that was at the top of cable ratings. Right there with A&E's Live PD show. Not sure that there's much of a draw from regular season games or that Oregon WBB is a national brand that's valued like a UConn or ND.

What I could see is a separate association of something like 16-20 schools including ND, USC, UT, and some others getting premium TV money playing a schedule mostly among themselves.

Oregon doesn't have the history but their membership would come with Nike being a title sponsor of the organization.
That would be CFB worth paying for...UT vs ND @ 1:00 Alabama vs tOSU @ 5:00 SC vs Fla. for a night cap.

DP

That would be CFB worth paying for...UT vs ND @ 1:00 Alabama vs tOSU @ 5:00 SC vs Fla. for a night cap.
The reason I don't think that would ever happen is that those fan bases will never support a system where their average season is going .500 instead of winning 2/3 of their games as a baseline birthright.

USC fans are nearly unanimously in agreement about the need to fire a coach for only going 40-22 over 5 seasons (1st season 5-4 as interim) with only two Top 10 finishes in that period and 1 losing season in the mix along with no playoff appearances.

As much as the elites may gripe about about not getting a much larger share of the revenue pie due to them driving revenue, they know damn well that their fan support is directly tied to being able to bully most of their schedules.

The reason I don't think that would ever happen is that those fan bases will never support a system where their average season is going .500 instead of winning 2/3 of their games as a baseline birthright.

USC fans are nearly unanimously in agreement about the need to fire a coach for only going 40-22 over 5 seasons (1st season 5-4 as interim) with only two Top 10 finishes in that period and 1 losing season in the mix along with no playoff appearances.

As much as the elites may gripe about about not getting a much larger share of the revenue pie due to them driving revenue, they know damn well that their fan support is directly tied to being able to bully most of their schedules.
Less of an issue than you make it out to be.

If the payout due to media rights is an extra $40+ million per team they will be more agreeable to not winning every game. They would also still be able to schedule 2-4 games per year against outside teams buying enough wins that most of the teams would end up over .500.

Less of an issue than you make it out to be.

If the payout due to media rights is an extra $40+ million per team they will be more agreeable to not winning every game. They would also still be able to schedule 2-4 games per year against outside teams buying enough wins that most of the teams would end up over .500.
How does that extra $40+ million make fans, students and boosters happy? It does nothing for them. There's not a desire for being like an NFL franchise from these stakeholders. And I'm not a believer that the presidents/chancellors/regents/trustees of these universities are as concerned with out-competing the NFL for sports entertainment market share as they are with sports being a rallying point for their schools to engage for other fundraising, increased applications and enhanced student & faculty life.

How does that extra $40+ million make fans, students and boosters happy? It does nothing for them. There's not a desire for being like an NFL franchise from these stakeholders. And I'm not a believer that the presidents/chancellors/regents/trustees of these universities are as concerned with out-competing the NFL for sports entertainment market share as they are with sports being a rallying point for their schools to engage for other fundraising, increased applications and enhanced student & faculty life.
As I mentioned there are ways to massage the schedule (a couple body bag games) to make sure that 2/3 of the teams are above .500 and playing in a bowl or post season.

The other teams won't be "happy" but they will be included in the new top tier and making an extra $40 million per season makes up for a lot donations. Not being a part of it means they automatically become "second class" without the benefit of the media money and focus.

In no way did I say it would be good for all the schools but ultimately the powers and the money would force it to happen if they decided to do so. Any school that didn't want to accept the invitation could decline, and by declining be relegated to being seen as lower division and making a lot less money.

Look at it this way. The fans may have their illusions but do the athletic department people at CSU or UNLV or even Boise think they could successfully compete in the B12 or the PAC? If they are honest no but they would jump in an instant to make the extra media money and get the extra national attention and gladly take their beatings.

One school has actually succeeded at being an independent. Everyone else has eventually decided that it is better off in a conference.

Neither SC nor UO have the national draw to grab the TV deal ND has. They would lose money, and they know it.

Back