What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

All that B1G money has bought ****braska a ****ty athletic department.

I realize it’s all relative, but CU has a nearly $100MM AD budget. This narrative that we are broke is comical.
Nobody says CU is broke, but suggesting everything is fine simply because Nebraska’s football program sucks, is your head being in the sand. The 5th best program in the BIG just bought our coach by doubling his salary and assistant coach pool. The money disparity is a major issue.

Nobody says CU is broke, but suggesting everything is fine simply because ****braska’s football program sucks, is your head being in the sand. The 5th best program in the BIG just bought our coach by doubling his salary and assistant coach pool. The money disparity is a major issue.
Where did I say everything is fine?

Would rather beat them 2 years in a row and be broke.
Problem is, this gap is going to widen. There will be haves and have nots. If we don’t get into the east coast big boy conferences, we WILL be Mountain West level. Everyone will be. We just saw the money issue happen with Midnight Mel. Anytime Karl gets a great coach the B1G and SEC will just siphon them off. Forever and ever. I love the teams we play better in the PAC. But it isn’t sustainable IMO. Eventually the expansions from the B1G and SEC will take Oregon and USC and Washington and... where will we be?

We need to get good and be attractive for the SEC or B1G to want us to come be part of the gang. Otherwise we will forever be part of the ‘Have Nots’. I think the writing is pretty clear. The time is close to decide if we want our future tied to Oregon State and Washington State, or Wisconsin and Iowa. The money gap is growing and we won’t be sitting at the Adults table if we don’t make a move.

Something fundamental is wrong here.

California, by itself, if the world's 5th largest economy, and the P5 conference with all the big Cali schools is this far behind the east coast conferences covering rural Southern states and rust-belt states

West coast college fan apathy?
Poor leadership?

Does that explain the full disparity?

Something fundamental is wrong here.

California, by itself, if the world's 5th largest economy, and the P5 conference with all the big Cali schools is this far behind the east coast conferences covering rural Southern states and rust-belt states

West coast college fan apathy?
Poor leadership?

Does that explain the full disparity?

There's no doubt the Pac could've made more money by partnering with an established network for third-tier games. The question is: can the Pac parley it's complete ownership of those rights into more money in the future?
I'm guessing that, based on ratings, the Pac will always be behind the Big and the SEC. The question is: how far behind?

There's no doubt the Pac could've made more money by partnering with an established network for third-tier games. The question is: can the Pac parley it's complete ownership of those rights into more money in the future?
I'm guessing that, based on ratings, the Pac will always be behind the Big and the SEC. The question is: how far behind?
But you see, I'm more interested in how to close the gap. There's so much more money in the Pac states than in the SEC states or B1G states, I struggle to believe there isn't a workable way to get some of that to the schools.

Alabama has the 45th ranked GDP in the US, but has two of the higher revenue P5 AD's. While Cali schools are going broke?!?!?!

But you see, I'm more interested in how to close the gap. There's so much more money in the Pac states than in the SEC states or B1G states, I struggle to believe there isn't a workable way to get some of that to the schools.

Alabama has the 45th ranked GDP in the US, but has two of the higher revenue P5 AD's. While Cali schools are going broke?!?!?!
People choose to spend money on their priorities, and football is not a priority for people in the western states (generally) like they are for people in the South.

Yes, some of the southern schools have big time boosters that help with the financial health of specific programs, but the TV $$$ is where the major gap comes from. The BIG and SEC have capitalized on their ratings and fan interest and parlayed it into ridiculous media deals that the Pac 12 couldn’t/wouldn’t because it wanted to own the entirety of its network.

Poor leadership and indifferent fanbases are the root causes.

Economic money has nothing to do with football fandom. Poorer people in the south will shell out big sums to see a game, well-off west coasters simply don't so the same.

Economic money has nothing to do with football fandom. Poorer people in the south will shell out big sums to see a game, well-off west coasters simply don't so the same.

This is true of the south.

Also the migration out of the traditional B1G footprint because of various economic factors has increased the media footprint of the B1G. Sometimes the wealth of market works against college football economics.

These things all have to do with WHEN the deals start and end and whats in them.

The PAC12 signed a 12 year deal, the Biggest TV deal and was briefly number 1 in 2011. That deal expires in 2024.
The Big12 signed a 12 year deal shortly after that in 2012 and was not number 1. That deal expires in 2025.
The SEC also signed in 2012. BUT they expanded in 2014 and signed a 20 year deal which created the SEC network and they became number 1. That deal runs to 2034
Then in 2013 the BigTen signed a 10 year deal, also did an expansion after the deal, making them number 1. That deal lasts to 2023.
Finally, In 2016 the ACC signed a new deal, not the largest deal, and in order to get the ACC Network the deal lasts 19 years. They are under contract until 2035.

Now I'll also say there were other deals for the BigTen and for the SEC. BUT they chose to expand their conferences and adding teams allowed them to re-negotiate and grant rights to the new members.

The Big12 tried this tactic too but their TV rights owners told them they will not get anymore money and need to divide the pot by 12 instead of by 10. At which point they abruptly disolved the expansion deal.

Based on what Im seeing in terms of the dates this problem isnt going away because the BigTen will once again go right after us and use our numbers to get another deal better and bigger than our deal.

The SEC having to wait until 2034 might be too much for them as they'll watch others go twice between when they signed and when 2034 rolls around.

People choose to spend money on their priorities, and football is not a priority for people in the western states (generally) like they are for people in the South.

Yes, some of the southern schools have big time boosters that help with the financial health of specific programs, but the TV $$$ is where the major gap comes from. The BIG and SEC have capitalized on their ratings and fan interest and parlayed it into ridiculous media deals that the Pac 12 couldn’t/wouldn’t because it wanted to own the entirety of its network.

Poor leadership and indifferent fanbases are the root causes.

This sums it up perfectly. The ACC is not that different from the Pac12 when it comes to football fan apathy but the difference is the leadership and time zone, plus they have a number of marquee basketball programs. And they have almost always had a team in contention for the NC in football whether it was FSU who is a good national brand or Clemson who is quickly becoming one as of late.

I missed these pieces of news
While an official announcement has yet to be confirmed, it has recently been revealed that NJIT Basketball will be departing the Atlantic Sun to join the America East Conference, effective immediately
link

Robert Morris, which has been a member of the Northeast Conference since upgrading to Division I in 1981, is likely moving into the Horizon League in time for the 2020-21 academic year, a source told the Tribune-Review.
link

Guess it's time to fire up this thread again since it involves Norte Dame becoming a full ACC member sooner than later with 2020 being a trail run.

If anyone is thinking the Pac-12 is ahead of the ACC at this point perception-wise, Norte Dame would help the ACC get ahead of the Pac-12. The big question is what does this do for the Pac-12 long term?

“Our players are excited, quite honestly, that they get a chance to play for a championship – an ACC Championship. For the ACC to allow us that opportunity – they’re excited about it,” he added.

not that I think players have much say in realignment, but if they overwhelmingly like being in a conference and it subsequently impacts recruiting, that increases the chance of ND joining a conference (posted before, but I'm not at all confident that it will be the ACC).

link

not that I think players have much say in realignment, but if they overwhelmingly like being in a conference and it subsequently impacts recruiting, that increases the chance of ND joining a conference (posted before, but I'm not at all confident that it will be the ACC).

link
I guess I'll follow up the above post with one supporting that notion that ND would head to the ACC. The conference has started the search for a new commissioner, and that search committee is being "led by co-chairs President Nathan Hatch (Wake Forest) and President Fr. John Jenkins (Notre Dame)".

Certainly possible this has nothing to do with long term commitment, but I also feel like UNC, Clemson and FSU wouldn't have ceded that responsibility unless they knew something.

acc link

I guess I'll follow up the above post with one supporting that notion that ND would head to the ACC. The conference has started the search for a new commissioner, and that search committee is being "led by co-chairs President Nathan Hatch (Wake Forest) and President Fr. John Jenkins (Notre Dame)".

Certainly possible this has nothing to do with long term commitment, but I also feel like UNC, Clemson and FSU wouldn't have ceded that responsibility unless they knew something.

acc link
Notre Dame is already in the ACC for all sports except football and hockey.

Brian Kelly responding to a question around being ACC football members:
This has been a great opportunity for us. Let's make no mistake about it. We were in a very difficult situation without games from the PAC 12, which we we love playing USC, we love the rivalry there with with them, as well as playing Stanford, and the Big 10 games. The ACC obviously came through for us in a very difficult time and we're indebted to them for that. But we're going to continue as as an independent after this year and we just feel as though as a university and what we've been able to get from that, us alone, in terms of what works for us at Notre Dame, it may not work for others, but what works for us is this opportunity to play USC, to play Navy, to play Stanford, to play the Big 10 schools, and to play some of the ACC schools as well. So, we're grateful for this opportunity this year, but we look forward to our independence too.

247 link

For those people worrying themselves about Oregon, UW, or USC being poached by the ACC or B1G, I would just submit that a 4 time zone conference would be extremely unworkable. The only conference that has tried it was the WAC in the mid-90s, and it was a very short-lived experiment that resulted in the collapse of the conference.

Scheduling would be a nightmare, considering that you would almost have to have games starting at 9 or 10 am local time for UO, UW, or USC road games, as well as games starting at 9 or 10 pm local time for Eastern Time Zone teams on roadies to the West Coast. That would impact TV ratings immensely.

For those people worrying themselves about Oregon, UW, or USC being poached by the ACC or B1G, I would just submit that a 4 time zone conference would be extremely unworkable. The only conference that has tried it was the WAC in the mid-90s, and it was a very short-lived experiment that resulted in the collapse of the conference.

Scheduling would be a nightmare, considering that you would almost have to have games starting at 9 or 10 am local time for UO, UW, or USC road games, as well as games starting at 9 or 10 pm local time for Eastern Time Zone teams on roadies to the West Coast. That would impact TV ratings immensely.
I don't think the time zone situation is an issue. The bigger issue is that PAC12 schools simply don't bring the passion or the financial value that would make the B1G or the ACC interested other than USC.

In addition to the value added those conferences may be very hesitant to look at west coast schools because of cultural differences. The B1G is similar to the PAC12 in terms of the member universities with a number of top end public universities and all AAU research schools (except kNU.)

The difference though is in the political climate right now as players are stepping up and organizing and we are looking at various issues dealing with player compensation and influence.

There is a real question about what it is going to look like being a scholarship athlete, especially in a revenue sport, at a school in California and Washington state is likely to follow their lead.

Will players have to be paid minimum wage or higher, how about compensation for injuries, how about "working conditions?"

These may be areas that scare other conferences away from west coast schools at least until some of these questions are settled for the long term.

This sums it up perfectly. The ACC is not that different from the Pac12 when it comes to football fan apathy but the difference is the leadership and time zone, plus they have a number of marquee basketball programs. And they have almost always had a team in contention for the NC in football whether it was FSU who is a good national brand or Clemson who is quickly becoming one as of late.

I'd add this-The two flagship programs in this conference are USC football and UCLA basketball. They've both been down for the most part for a decade. That's not helping things out here.

Time to be bold: fire Larry Scott, kick the Trees out of the conference for being apathetic whiny bitches, and roll out the red carpet for Texas, OU, and OSU.

I know that probably gets us stuck in a crappy division with those schools, UU, and the AZ schools, but it at least gives a chance to be in a relevant conference again.

Brian Kelly responding to a question around being ACC football members:

247 link

Meh, of course he's not gonna say they might join full time next year or in the near future. They don't play any B1G teams on a regular basis so that excuse is hollow. As for scheduling, with the ACC playing 8 conference games in a normal year, that would still allow ND to play Stanford, USC and Navy, plus one other game every year. And they could easily drop Stanford. They don't need a game in Cali every year for recruiting because they're a national brand, so that excuse is total BS.

The biggest issue with a conference like the ACC would be travel distances. B1G I could see though since cross-country trips would be minimal.

Back