What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Realistic Analysis of Class

Love Tucker - give him a lot of rope. For the moment, I'm a little unsettled by the Old Dominion recruits - I get it if Tuck and staff have a connection that helped identify a hidden prospect that only OD was recruiting... ...but three of them??? I get Perry looks ok, but... ...just hope for the best. It seems like Tucker either hates our Dline or we should be expecting some transfers - or both...

Finishing in the middle of the PAC 12 in his first year isn’t bad. Trying to be realistic here, I don’t think we can ever really compete with the likes of USC in recruiting. The best we can hope for is probably somewhere in the 10-15 range. If Tucker can get us there consistently, we should all be satisfied.

It's a transition class, some very good signs and some guys that if we took next year or the year after I would be questioning.

HCMT had a tough situation coming in without a lot of time before signing day, coming to a part of the country that he didn't have strong current recruiting ties, and coming to a program that because we have sucked so long isn't on the top of many recruits wish list.

He was also taking over a program that was to be kind weak on the LOS, we needed big bodies.

Another part of taking over is a need to change the culture. We hate the idea of the "New coach's players" and "The old coach's players" but the new staff has to have enough guys completely bought in to overcome the influence of the players who will try to hold on to the old culture.

To really change a culture the staff has to bring in their recruits, it also usually involves seeing a lot of holdover guys leave if they don't fit or don't buy in.

I think we are going to see some of the guys from this class surprise but if we are really serious about winning we are also going to see a number of these guys recruited over in the next few years and some resulting ongoing attrition.

It’s a solid C class for transition. Big lineman for once was a god send to see, that excites me the most. Next year we better be top 35 at the very least. We’re going to find out real fast how good our coaches are.

I have faith in future recruiting because MT says it’s an all day thing and I think they showed it here. We were 1 player (Elam) from a top 35 class. I want the floor to raise and the ceiling to expand in the future.

Is it spring yet? **** winter.

It's a transition class, some very good signs and some guys that if we took next year or the year after I would be questioning.

HCMT had a tough situation coming in without a lot of time before signing day, coming to a part of the country that he didn't have strong current recruiting ties, and coming to a program that because we have sucked so long isn't on the top of many recruits wish list.

He was also taking over a program that was to be kind weak on the LOS, we needed big bodies.

Another part of taking over is a need to change the culture. We hate the idea of the "New coach's players" and "The old coach's players" but the new staff has to have enough guys completely bought in to overcome the influence of the players who will try to hold on to the old culture.

To really change a culture the staff has to bring in their recruits, it also usually involves seeing a lot of holdover guys leave if they don't fit or don't buy in.

I think we are going to see some of the guys from this class surprise but if we are really serious about winning we are also going to see a number of these guys recruited over in the next few years and some resulting ongoing attrition.

This is a good transition class, and I think its best to compare it to the other teams who made coaching changes. We did very well in that regard. I don't like the comparisons to MacIntyre era recruiting, though-this isn't a rebuild, and I expect success sooner with this regime than the previous one.

The current recruiting (for the past 15+ years) is a far cry from the early and mid 90's level of recruiting. On a national level, CU has work to do. However, considering HCMT had less than 2 months to recruit over half of the class, CU is in good position. He has a vision and that vision is bigger lineman (accomplished), stronger (more than doubled the time frame for the players to work out in the off season - accomplished), faster (signed the fastest guy in the country and some exceptional athletes at CB, LB and WR - accomplished). I would say this class is a success. Time to coach them up!
That was also 25-30 years ago. A lot of Buffs fans have no experience of that.

Love Tucker - give him a lot of rope. For the moment, I'm a little unsettled by the Old Dominion recruits - I get it if Tuck and staff have a connection that helped identify a hidden prospect that only OD was recruiting... ...but three of them??? I get Perry looks ok, but... ...just hope for the best. It seems like Tucker either hates our Dline or we should be expecting some transfers - or both...

With the sheer number of DL and OL that he signed in this class, I think this is a more calculated move than people might think. Some of these guys will pan out, some will not....we've all seen enough to understand that we will not be able to predict who will and who won't pan out for some time yet. But the coaches saw something in every one of these kids that compelled them to give these kids a shot.

Specifically with the DL, He wants size and depth in the DL (a trade mark that differentiates the SEC from almost every other conference). Some of these kids will be good. With the ones that are not, maybe they will be good OL, or maybe they will be run out because they can't/won't keep up with what's expected of them. The funny thing is, with the kids in this class that perform...it will make it that much easier to recruit quality big bodies in the future. I fully expect them to rinse and repeat this exercise until we are full of quality depth on both lines. It's a volume approach, and I like it.

This is a good transition class, and I think its best to compare it to the other teams who made coaching changes. We did very well in that regard. I don't like the comparisons to MacIntyre era recruiting, though-this isn't a rebuild, and I expect success sooner with this regime than the previous one.

This isn't a rebuild in the traditional sense but it is a rebuild on the LOS. MacIntyre had a lot of good characteristics but he and his staff also failed completely in building sustainable depth in terms of P5 level linemen. Because of that if he had be kept another year I would have expected a whole bunch of JC band-aids like we have seen in recent years and a hard time winning more than 3-4 games.

MT has quickly brought in a bunch of guys who should be able to start lining up against the teams we play and at minimum not be physically dominated.

Based on what he has shown his priorities to be I would expect a more sustainable success than MM ever had. QBs and WRs and DBs may win games but lots of games are lost in the trenches.

I know this is Kong bread for this but Coach Mel is really going to prove his recruiting worth in next year‘s class by seeing which quarterback we end up signing. Thats going to be so huge. Im super excited about hcmt and i love what hes doing. And he will have a great opportunity to sell to 2020 QB. I have a feeling we are going to sign a blue chip guy at that position
Explain yourself.

It was an okay job. Filled some needs, questionably filled others, and clearly failed to fill others.

We will see if he can make the jump in 2020. The cache he built from Georgia and Alabama will only go so far if he cannot get blue chips to CU. Add in the uncertainty at both LA schools, and he has a unique window to make real noise.

If we are talking about "trusting his track record" come December in much the same way UCLA fans are with Chip Kelly, then there are issues.

The shift of focus to the lines are super encouraging. Tucker’s idea of always be recruiting will pay dividends, real quick. I’m highly impressed and encouraged.
I like the increased focus there as well, especially on the Dline. I not only hope that the increase in numbers will lead to more competition and more production, but also hoping that we continue to see that focus going forward of numbers on both lines.

Reactions: Val
I looked back at the last 5 or 6 classes for Alabama, and the smallest class they had was I think 20 or 22 (and that was followed up by 29 the next year I believe). That is what I want to see here. I expect it is clear after a year or two if a guy 1) has the talent and ability you thought he had, and 2) if he has the work ethic and dedication to reach his potential. Not to bag on MM after he is gone, but from the outside looking in I think he gave guys far to long to "earn" their way in to the lineup. I have no skin in the game, and it isn't my kid we are talking about, but I am hoping to see an accountability based approach with roster management. We cannot afford to keep guys for 3-4 years if they aren't good enough, or dedicated enough, to get on the field. Move guys out and make room for new, hungry players.

This isn't a rebuild in the traditional sense but it is a rebuild on the LOS. MacIntyre had a lot of good characteristics but he and his staff also failed completely in building sustainable depth in terms of P5 level linemen. Because of that if he had be kept another year I would have expected a whole bunch of JC band-aids like we have seen in recent years and a hard time winning more than 3-4 games.

MT has quickly brought in a bunch of guys who should be able to start lining up against the teams we play and at minimum not be physically dominated.

Based on what he has shown his priorities to be I would expect a more sustainable success than MM ever had. QBs and WRs and DBs may win games but lots of games are lost in the trenches.

Yeah my point was basically that you can't compare CMT's recruiting to FHCMM's. We were the worst program in the P5 when FHCMM got here. I'm expecting CMT to get us bowl eligible if not more in year one.

Yeah my point was basically that you can't compare CMT's recruiting to FHCMM's. We were the worst program in the P5 when FHCMM got here. I'm expecting CMT to get us bowl eligible if not more in year one.

I'm hoping for a bowl but would not be shocked if we fall short next year. This is a team that was left with a shambles of an offensive line and outside of Johnson of maybe Lang returns nobody with quality and experience on the DL.

We are hoping that they can fill a lot of holes quickly to win next year. It looks like they are trying but until we see them on the field we won't know.

27 by my count. A lot of JUCO guys. For me, this is a good first year class that will lay a foundation.

I like HCMT, good hire, but was pretty underwhelmed with who CU landed for this transition class. I hope they surprise to the upside. I think Tucker will get CU into the upper 20s with his 2020 class. Fingers crossed.

It was an okay job. Filled some needs, questionably filled others, and clearly failed to fill others.

We will see if he can make the jump in 2020. The cache he built from Georgia and Alabama will only go so far if he cannot get blue chips to CU. Add in the uncertainty at both LA schools, and he has a unique window to make real noise.

If we are talking about "trusting his track record" come December in much the same way UCLA fans are with Chip Kelly, then there are issues.
In all seriousness, I appreciate the insight.

I like HCMT, good hire, but was pretty underwhelmed with who CU landed for this transition class. I hope they surprise to the upside. I think Tucker will get CU into the upper 20s with his 2020 class. Fingers crossed.
In four years they will be top ten...

Mel Tucker's no nonsense approach to fixing the most obvious long term glaring weakness of this program impressed me.

Even in 2016, we were getting rag dolled in the trenches by USC and Washington. I'm very happy with this plethora of lineman and linebackers. Must be tougher! We will be tougher with this class!

Back