What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Realistically, what can we expect from the team in 2015?

4-0 in the OOC and find at least a 3-6 in the Pac-12 to go bowling.
That's the math...but unless the team makes a big 3rd year jump, I don't see 3 P12 wins on this schedule. I'd like to be more hopeful, but I've been at this too long. With a favorable schedule and lots of upperclassmen, I see 2016 as the year we go bowling again.

That's the math...but unless the team makes a big 3rd year jump, I don't see 3 P12 wins on this schedule. I'd like to be more hopeful, but I've been at this too long. With a favorable schedule and lots of upperclassmen, I see 2016 as the year we go bowling again.
The conference won't be as strong as it was last year, and had Tedric not gotten hurt you can make a real case that we don't lose the Cal or UCLA games, and could also make the argument that Utah would have been a win with him playing.

I think we have pretty much seen Sefo's ceiling, so 5 wins sounds about right. I think the kicking game is going to cost us a couple losses this year as well.

I know that lots of things will shake out in the fall... but here's what we know:

• The Buffs won two games in 2014
  • The Buffs produced no draftable players in the 2015 draft
  • Sports reference ranked CU at the 7th toughest Strength of Schedule in all of college football for 2014
  • The Buffs ranked 67th in points per game and 39th in yards per game on offense
  • The Buffs ranked 120th in points allowed.

CU had one of the worst defenses in the country last year... and an offense that seemed bowl worthy. They have a lot of work to do in order to make it to a bowl. I think the Buffs were better than their record indicated, but they obviously have some massive holes.

Quarterback
I'm on record as saying I like Sefo a lot. He's a good leader, he says all the right things and no one wants to win more than him... unfortunately his desire to win isn't impacting his decision making because he has a knack for throwing the pick 6. I'm not calling for replacing him because I don't think there's another QB on the roster who comes close in terms of poise and ability. Montez should redshirt for a year, Gerke, Apsay and the walk-on crew should be just for drills, scout team and practice. Unless Sefo makes a big jump this offseason, we'll struggle a little, but the team can still go to, and win a bowl with him under center.

Running Back/Fullback
Powell is a decent rusher and this is his last season. I'm slightly concerned about his history of head injuries. Lindsay is quick and showed flashes of ability and Adkins had a sophomore slump last year. There's nothing really special about our RB stable, but Patrick Carr was one of our most highly touted recruits. I hope we have the luxury of redshirting him, but he may start due to injury or ineffectiveness. Our FBs are decent but unspectacular it seems like.
Offensive Line
The O-Line went from being a huge weakness a year or two ago to being a position of strength. Many have said that Nembot made great strides midseason last year... and it makes me wonder if he might be destined to move to LT. The coaches or staff haven't said anything though and it seems like a longshot. For now, he's entrenched at RT. Kelley started at C last season and seemed fine so I would assume he's got a solid hold on his position as well. Most of the time, having two departing senior starter and three returning lineman, one who was injured in spring would be cause for concern... but the Buffs should have a better overall line than last season. Between Lisella (coach's favorite from what I hear), Irwin, Kronshage, Kough, Weifels, Huckins, Callahan and possibly Middlemiss and Lynott (though I hope they're redshirted) the Buffaloes should be able to put together a decent line.

Wide receiver/Tight end
Spruce is coming back for 2015 and that is huge. He's a good route runner, has great hands, adjusts to the ball well and can be successful in this offense. It's true though, that he was shut down by Pac-12 corners when we got to league play. He's a draftable NFL prospect, so he should be able to adjust and have a stronger corps around him. Shay Fields looked great at times last year and could be a huge weapon for the Buffs, Ross, Lee, Walker, Bobo and Dunston all have a little experience as well. The story with the TEs is the same as always. Nothing special there. Keeney and Jones were injured for Spring and Irwin will be back.

Defensive Line
The staff recruited two defensive linemen from junior colleges (Blake Robbins and Jordan Carrell) to shore up this weak front 7. It'll be well into fall probably before we see what they bring to the table. Returning is last year's sack leader Derek McCartney along with Tupou, Solis, Kafovalu, Leo Jackson, Ty Henington, Jimmy Gilbert and others. I assume the D-line will be better this season because of the new additions and the maturing of the returning players... but who knows. Most of these guys are marked by their potential and not their actual contributions. Hopefully new DC Jim Leavitt can get the most out of this unit.

Linebacker
Just like offensive line was once a huge weakness for CU... I hope the huge weakness that is the LB corps becomes a strength sooner rather than later. Addison Gillam looked like a rising star in his freshman year but illness and head injuries kept him subdued last season. There was even a rumor that he considered quitting football because of his injuries but that seems premature. Jaleel Awini, former Air Force QB has switched to LB, Kenneth Olugbode seems serviceable and former 4 star Deaysean Rippy tops the pencil depth chart at OLB. HS star Grant Watanabe may finally be healthy enough to play in 2015... but just like with the D-line, these linebackers need to prove themselves and win a job.

Defensive Backs
This unit looks pretty good on paper. Kenny Crawley looks like a draftable NFL prospect. He's got size and speed and should be good for the Buffs. Tedric Thompson led the team in picks, Walker, Awuzie, Witherspoon, Moeller and White all look competent. Jared Bell got a 6th year approved and should be a standout in this defense, and as usual, highly touted prospect Yuri Wright is a wildcard. Will he ever put it together?

-----

All in all I'd say the Buffaloes should be much better on paper than in 2015 and their strength of schedule should be weaker. Their first 4 games are winnable (Hawaii, UMASS, CSU and Nicholls State) and they were within a TD of beating Cal, Oregon St., UCLA and Utah in 2014. What's a realistic projection? 5 games? 6? 7? A bowl?

Didn't get a chance to go through all of the posts, but saying Spruce was shut down in league play is a bit harsh. He caught 76 passes for 777 yards and 7 TDs against the PAC. Those numbers are obviously boosted by the Cal game, but he still had other games of 138, 97, 91 and 89 yards.

I think these guys can and should be expected to make a bowl game.

I'm sick of having no expectations. This upcoming year is put up or shut up to me. 6-7 wins. I we can't win 2-3 in conference, I'll be pretty disappointed. With Leavitt on board, I'm expecting this team to be leaving it all on the field every Saturday.

I think it might be a little early to say we have seen Sefo's ceiling. Lots of room for improvement with decision making and reading defenses especially with a what looks like consistent o line play. To me next year all comes down to d line play and if they allow the defensive backs to show their potential.

I'm sick of having no expectations. This upcoming year is put up or shut up to me. 6-7 wins. I we can't win 2-3 in conference, I'll be pretty disappointed. With Leavitt on board, I'm expecting this team to be leaving it all on the field every Saturday.
I get this...but...it will be the first year of JL's system and lots of young/new guys. I really see 2016 as CU's breakout year...but doesn't mean it can't happen in 2015.

There have been some good statements regarding position by position analysis for 2015. I decided to look at stats

QB: Sefo : 498att – 325 comp 65.3%, 3200 yards 6.4 per att, 9.8 per comp; 28 TD – 15 INT, 18 sacks, 6 fumbles – 3 lost

These numbers are a big improvement from 2013. Where I would look for continued development is in the area of turnovers, 18 total. In order for the Buffs to win games that ratio need to be 3 to 1. If Sefo throws 30 TDs then 10 total turnovers would be acceptable, and the Buffs probably have a shot at winning 7 games. Pushing up completion percentage toward 70 would be the other developmental item that should occur.

RB: Looking at the stats for the top 4 backs they combined for:

Att: 339 Yards: 1,640 Ave: 4.84 TD: 10 Fumbles: 5 Lost: 3

Looking at the average it seems like they ran fairly well. The reality is anything less than 2,000 yards for the top 4 backs is not good. These figures reflect on the offensive line as well. I felt there were some good moments during the season running the ball, followed by very inconsistent times. There weren’t a lot of fumbles, but the timing of the fumbles was terrible (Adkins fumble at the 10 against ASU, Lindsay fumble against Washington at the 30). The improvement needs to be finding a way to get 3 yards on 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and 2, and punching the ball in when you have 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and goal at the 4.

WR: top 4 WR stats

Rec: 224 Yards: 2,484 Ave: 11.1 TD: 20

Decent stats for the group. I would like to see the stats a bit more even among the top 3. The one thing I don’t have is the YAC, which is a big factor and something that would help tremendously if improved.

TE: Top (only) 3 TE stats

Rec: 23 Yards: 212 Ave: 9.2 TD: 4

Stats in this group are not impressive. At the same time there is no form of capturing the effectiveness of the TE’s as they block. The simple answer here is TE’s stats need to be better next year. Will that happen, I have no idea.

OL: combining 3 stats of returning starters

Total offensive plays: 2,795 PPP Plays: 1,570 PPP pct: 56.2% KD: 106 PRS: 37 QBS: 7 PEN: 20

We lose our 2 most experienced linemen. They were not the most talented but they did play well. Most feel that they will be replaced by more talented players, but can that talent overcome the drop in experience. With the year of experience for Kelley, Irwin, and Nembot can they build on that and take another step forward. If they start where they left off last year, this could easily propel us to a 4-0 start to the season.

I think it might be a little early to say we have seen Sefo's ceiling. Lots of room for improvement with decision making and reading defenses especially with a what looks like consistent o line play. To me next year all comes down to d line play and if they allow the defensive backs to show their potential.
I agree it's too early. He needs to overcome his problems...bad decisions/INTs, inability to consistently hit the deep ball, throwing to his left. He's got great potential, but I saw no real progress in these areas during the course of last season.

I get this...but...it will be the first year of JL's system and lots of young/new guys. I really see 2016 as CU's breakout year...but doesn't mean it can't happen in 2015.

I understand your point as well. It's probably more fair to call 2016 the make or break year. I guess I am just frustrated. I'm just expecting Leavitt to at least make sure guys are in position to make plays in 2015. That alone should be an improvement.

I understand your point as well. It's probably more fair to call 2016 the make or break year. I guess I am just frustrated. I'm just expecting Leavitt to at least make sure guys are in position to make plays in 2015. That alone should be an improvement.
I would expect to see some improvement on D...****...we really couldn't get much worse. With our schedule and opponent strength, I'm just thinking we'd need a larger than expected improvement in D to get to 7 wins. But stranger things have happened...

I think we have pretty much seen Sefo's ceiling, so 5 wins sounds about right. I think the kicking game is going to cost us a couple losses this year as well.
I don't know how you can say we've seen his ceiling when he has two years of eligibility left

Oregon, USC and Stanford all at home this year. Makes a tough home schedule. When you're rebuilding, you want a few easy-ish home games. The only home game I think we have a shot at winning is UA.

Best case scenario is 4 conference wins and 4 OOC wins, and a bowl game win - 9 wins.
Worst case scenario is zero conference wins and 2 OOC wins - 2 wins.

Most likely scenario is somewhere in between.
I think o falls back to earth this season. Not saying we beat them, but they will be beatable and not win our conference.

We need Sefo's yards/attempt to increase. I don't want to see that dink and dunk offense any more.

5 wins. Just enough for some fans to point to progress in the W/L category, and for others to complain that it's not good enough and that Mac should be on the hot seat.

We will continue to have the same debates a year from now.

He needs to cut down on turnovers and be more aware in certain situations(like know where the down marker is before going out of bounds on 3rd downs). Other than that I agree we know what we'll get out of him. He should have a better line in front of him this season(knock on wood).

5/6 wins. Anything less will be extremely disappointing. 2016 is the breakout year. More competition at QB and RB + the defense will have spent more time with Leavitt.

2015 - I do think the D will be improved, better aligned, create more turnovers and make the games closer. RB is going to be improved with the boise st. transfer and Carr. The OL will be better.

downfalls- WR, LB, TE and Kicking

Last edited:

I sincerely hope you're wrong about Sefo.

I'm expecting him to do a better job of reading the defense to cut down on INTs and find some of those open receivers he missed in 2014.

I also think the running game will be a lot better, which will help him out a ton.

My biggest concern with how well this team does is on defense. How big of a jump can we expect with guys being a year older and so many veteran additions in the front 7? If they can't stop the run or generate pressure, then throw out all the positive predictions. They'll be fortunate to win 4 games if the defense doesn't improve.

The improvements we make or don't make on defense will determine how well this team does in 2015

I pretty much agree with this. Better defense = less pressure on our offense to score every possession and hopefully more wins. Kicking game could be an adventure in close games...

If we've truly seen Sefo's ceiling, we're in trouble. We need him to improve this year. Better decision making, better situational awareness, more of a sense of urgency. It always seemed to me that he treated every play as though he'd have another chance if this one didn't work. While that's usually the case, I don't think you can be effective playing with that attitude.

I don't know how you can say we've seen his ceiling when he has two years of eligibility left

Yeah, I'm not really sure how anyone can make that kind of assertion. Maybe we've seen Fields' ceiling? What about Nembot's? Crawley's? Very odd to assume that we've seen a 20 year old's ceiling after only 2 years of college experience, especially at the position with arguably the biggest learning curve in sports.

I don't think Sefo's physical attributes will allow him to take a big step forward. Hope I am wrong,

I pretty much agree with this. Better defense = less pressure on our offense to score every possession and hopefully more wins. Kicking game could be an adventure in close games...

In Toby I trust?

I think the new RB's will play a huge part in the success for this year. If Baltazaar and/or Carr can come in and be big contributors, it will take a lot of pressure off of Sefo to always be THE GUY. Hopefully less pressure on Sefo will allow him to fix his turnover issues. We may have seen Sefo's athletic cieling but I do think he can still take a big step in decisioin making.

The DL will be much improved IMO but the LB core is still sorely lacking in talent. Hopefully Leavitt can figure something out to make up for the LB problems.

Kicking is going to be very very scary.

I think the new RB's will play a huge part in the success for this year. If Baltazaar and/or Carr can come in and be big contributors, it will take a lot of pressure off of Sefo to always be THE GUY. Hopefully less pressure on Sefo will allow him to fix his turnover issues. We may have seen Sefo's athletic cieling but I do think he can still take a big step in decisioin making.

The DL will be much improved IMO but the LB core is still sorely lacking in talent. Hopefully Leavitt can figure something out to make up for the LB problems.

Kicking is going to be very very scary.

Wouldn't it be nice if we actually get to see opposing LBs and safeties freeze on play action... and the OL to give time off of that for our WRs to run open with Sefo stepping into the throw?

It's been a while, but I dare to dream.

Back