What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recap from So. Cal

No mention of the song girls in a review of the game at USC? Someone clearly forgot the priorities.

I'm not much for stereotypes so my adjectives may not have been accurate....laid back could be 1 way to describe it, I think Aloof still fits as well, but most all these LA folks operate in a bubble it seems and you'll only get a reaction if you do something to irritate that bubble...Will definitely stand by the Buff Fans though, had Buff fans giving high fives to every USC fan walking down the street at the end of the game yelling "Go Buffs" to each and everyone, whereas I could not recall a single SC chant aside from the silly wobble with the 2 fingers up deal :lol:

I think these stereotypes are silly. I lived in LA for 7 years. I don't understand what you're getting at. These people are strangers to you. Why would you expect some kind of intimate interaction with them? How is that being aloof? Why are you trying to get a reaction from them? Why are you trying to irritate them?

Like I said, it's more laid back in SoCal. They're really not into screamign, yelling, and chanting. Nothing wrong with that. It's just different, not wrong.

because at most other venues the hosts are truly interested in your attendance, and start some dialogue. LA sounds like a boring ass road trip.

because at most other venues the hosts are truly interested in your attendance, and start some dialogue. LA sounds like a boring ass road trip.

Really? Why would you be interested?

"Dialogue"? Right. Yelling insults at each other is not dialogue.

Plus, you're not "hosting" anyone. It's not your house. You're a paying spectator at a public facility, just as they are. Don't kid yourself.

I think these stereotypes are silly. I lived in LA for 7 years. I don't understand what you're getting at. These people are strangers to you. Why would you expect some kind of intimate interaction with them? How is that being aloof? Why are you trying to get a reaction from them? Why are you trying to irritate them?

Like I said, it's more laid back in SoCal. They're really not into screamign, yelling, and chanting. Nothing wrong with that. It's just different, not wrong.

And you just portrayed that stereotype nicely. Allsome

Yup, I must be crazy for not wanting to provoke fans from other schools.
i think we're on different pages here. i'm not talking about provoking or throwing insults. i'm talking about meeting fans from different parts of the country and having a good time with them.

Yup, I must be crazy for not wanting to provoke fans from other schools.

You know, in addition to provocation, you might consider "welcoming" as an option.

I'm starting to think that I'm not the one who doesn't know what "aloof" means.

I've called Southern California (SD, not LA) home for a good part of my life. I love it there, and I love the people. But in my experience games at the Coliseum are lame. USC fans/grads are my least favorite of any group that I've met.

LA fans of anything suck. Go to a Dodgers game (don't really go). There needs to be a name for something worse than just "bandwagon fan".

How I picture LA fan:
images

Walter White's arrogance is one of the more entertaining parts of this season.

If LA had an NFL franchise of any caliber, how many people would show up at the Colisseum? Just curious. I know that when both the Rams and Raiders were in LA, neither USC nor UCLA fared particularly well, attendance wise.

There's always a rumor that the NFL is going to return to LA. Eventually, I think it will. I'll be very interested in how those two schools do when they have to compete against the NFL for casual fans. Die-hards will always show up.

LA fans of anything suck. Go to a Dodgers game (don't really go). There needs to be a name for something worse than just "bandwagon fan".

How I picture LA fan:
images

I am on a mission to take my son to a baseball game at every venue in major league baseball by the time he turns 18. We did LA this summer (Angels on a Thursday, Dodgers/Rox on Sunday). I have a couple of quick impressions:

- Crowds at Anaheim were sparse until the third inning, but this was a Thursday day game. However, it was also the last game of the season at home.
-I wouldn't know about the crowds at first pitch at Dodgers stadium, because it took so damn long to get to the stadium.
-I will say this: the Dodgers fans were much louder than I thought they would be throughout the entire game. However, at that point they were still alive for the playoffs and really needed the win. The Rox obliged by trotting out a triple-A lineup.

It's NOT a stereotype but an observation...I've been attending at least 1 away game for the past 8 years and every other place I traveled to had its bad eggs but also some very nice people who DID go out of their way to stop me and discuss football, offer me a beer, etc.

Never irritated or tried to get any reaction out of anyone and have no problems being "laid back" as you say, just thought it a bit odd in comparison to everywhere else I've gone...obviously you don't fall into your own "all Californian's are laid back" stereotype if these comments are chapping your ass so much

I am on a mission to take my son to a baseball game at every venue in major league baseball by the time he turns 18. We did LA this summer (Angels on a Thursday, Dodgers/Rox on Sunday). I have a couple of quick impressions:

- Crowds at Anaheim were sparse until the third inning, but this was a Thursday day game. However, it was also the last game of the season at home.
-I wouldn't know about the crowds at first pitch at Dodgers stadium, because it took so damn long to get to the stadium.
-I will say this: the Dodgers fans were much louder than I thought they would be throughout the entire game. However, at that point they were still alive for the playoffs and really needed the win. The Rox obliged by trotting out a triple-A lineup.

I started doing that and did the historic ballparks: old Yankees stadium, Fenway, and Wrigley Field. Then I realized baseball still sucks and could care less if I ever watch a game in wherever the ballpark the Padres or Marlins or <insert every other team here> play.

But you sound like a cool dad, I might do stripclubs of America with my boy.

I started doing that and did the historic ballparks: old Yankees stadium, Fenway, and Wrigley Field. Then I realized baseball still sucks and could care less if I ever watch a game in wherever the ballpark the Padres or Marlins or <insert every other team here> play.

But you sound like a cool dad, I might do stripclubs of America with my boy.

Petco is a very cool venue. Just to experience the park, pay the like $5 for the Park in the Park general admission tickets, wander around, and then leave when you get bored.

Petco is a very cool venue. Just to experience the park, pay the like $5 for the Park in the Park general admission tickets, wander around, and then leave when you get bored.
This. I finally caught a game at Petco the last time I was in SD. I really like it. They also are the first stadium that I've been to, that uses a dynamic pricing plan. The cost of the ticket is a function of how many tickets they expect to sell that night. So if you are at the ticket window and looking for a sign that shows ticket prices by section, you won't really find one.

It's NOT a stereotype but an observation...I've been attending at least 1 away game for the past 8 years and every other place I traveled to had its bad eggs but also some very nice people who DID go out of their way to stop me and discuss football, offer me a beer, etc.

Never irritated or tried to get any reaction out of anyone and have no problems being "laid back" as you say, just thought it a bit odd in comparison to everywhere else I've gone...obviously you don't fall into your own "all Californian's are laid back" stereotype if these comments are chapping your ass so much

Obviously, LA is one of the world's largest cities and SC sits smack in the middle of the hood. You're not going to get the same kind of outgoing response there as you would in a college town. That's just the way it is. Plus, as stated before, It's not an intense football culture, so you're not typically going to engage their fans in a bunch of smack, even good natured smack. I don't think that's SC fans being "aloof" in the pejorative sense (ie snobbery, "living in a bubble").

And for the record, if you want to have a good time on a SC road trip, you go to manhattan beach, not south central. That's where the sc people are before/after the game.

Obviously, LA is one of the world's largest cities and SC sits smack in the middle of the hood. You're not going to get the same kind of outgoing response there as you would in a college town. That's just the way it is. Plus, as stated before, It's not an intense football culture, so you're not typically going to engage their fans in a bunch of smack, even good natured smack. I don't think that's SC fans being "aloof" in the pejorative sense (ie snobbery, "living in a bubble").
so, basically, it sucks as a road trip venue for hardcore football fans.

:lol: I didn't know you were an SC fan. This is making sense.

I was parking in a neighborhood surrounding the Coliseum. Sketchy stuff, as has been discussed. The locals were a seriously tough looking group, and were charging to park on public streets.

Lacking options, I asked an extra from Boyz in the Hood how much it would cost to park in the spot that he was standing in, lookin menacing (I didn't use that same language). He said it was either $20 parking, or $10 parking. I asked him what the difference was, and he answered--I swear to God--"You don't want the $10 parking".

I gave him $20.

I returned fearing the worse, but when I returned, the street was completely void of the bustle and local presence I'd encountered earlier, there stood my truck, unmolested.

I would agree with that. If you're looking for a LSU-type intensity football experience then SC, and especially UCLA, would not make for a good trip. I think that's a fair statement.

I've been lurking around this place for years. I think this is our first consensus between posters with initially divergent opinions.

Back