What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Receiving Corps (Replacing Richardson)

Joe Theismann's Leg

Is it too optimistic to think that the receiving game can cope with the loss of Paul Richardson without too much trouble? Richardson himself doesn't think so:

I don’t think this is a loss for our program at all. I think in a way it’s kind of a plus. It gives guys that were behind me the opportunity to show their talents as well and show what they can do for this program.

With Richardson leaving for the NFL, he'll hopefully be a guy who CU can point to in attracting recruits. More and more, NFL teams are putting a high price on character. Richardson's got that in bunches. He's smart, well spoken and eminently professional. I think he's got a chance to be a surprise first round pick... but more likely a 2nd or 3rd since NFL teams get nervous about taking WR's early. In any case... we can cope. The receiving corps is seperated into 4 main positions (though different formations could be used to put additional men on the field, and RB can be used creatively.) The "X" position seems to be for possession guys. They type of player you look for when you need a 1st down. Think Eric Decker. The "H" position is more of a slot receiver. Think of them as a Wes Welker type. The "Y" position is where Richardson played. This should be the best overall WR. Someone who can stretch the field and make big plays. This is a Demaryius Thomas type position. The 4th position would also be the TE. A good TE helps the receiving game by forcing a safety or someone to cover them.

Here's what we've got right now on the Utah game depth chart:

X-Nelson Spruce (6'1'' 205), Tyler McCollough (6'5'' 210)
Z- Keenan Canty (5'9'' 165), Wesley Christensen (5'10'' 185)
H- DD Goodson (5'6'' 170), Devin Ross (5'9'' 170)
TE- Kyle Slavin (6'4'' 240), Sean Irwin (6'3'' 235)

So what will change in 2014?

X- Spruce had a very good season, McCollough showed some promise in 2012, but was pretty much a non-factor in 2013. You wonder if he might redshirt or move to TE. People talk about Jeff Thomas a lot on this board as a possible heir to Paul Richardson... but I think the X spot is his position. He's not terribly fast, but he's tall and has a good frame. He might push Spruce for playing time here.

H- Goodson was pretty much a non factor in 2013, and HCMM seems awfully high on Devin Ross. Would it surprise anyone if Ross became the slot guy? Keenan Canty and/or Wesley Christensen could challenge for time here as well.

TE- Does it surprise anyone else that Mac and his staff haven't made much of an effort on the TE front? It doesn't seem there's any interest in JUCOs here. Do they trust their current depth chart? What about Center? Are they higher on him than we thought? Rivals did list offers from Miami, Missouri, Syracuse, Nevada, and Cincinnati for him. Maybe the staff really likes what they see.

Z- This is going to be the hardest to fill. We know MacIntyre has mentioned Bobo and Dunston as "guys who can run" but there are also some JUCO guys, transfer players and recruits from UW or USC who might be in play due to all the confusion there. Personally, I like Dunston a lot. He supposedly runs a 4.4 40 and we're always hearing how CU doesn't get enough guys with speed and athleticism. He could be a sleeper to take over depending on how recruiting goes.

If Sefo Liufau improves (he won't have PRich to lean on, he'll need to make good reads and quick decisions) and the O-Line can give him time, we may be able to roll into next season without missing Richardson as much as many of us expect. Obviously having him back would be ideal for the Buffaloes, but I can see a WR corps that does okay without him. Three of the four primary receiving positions could show marked improvement in 2014.

It looks to me like we are basically pinning our hopes on a bunch of RS Freshman and Spruce. I'd say it scares me a bit. I like spruce but don't know jack about the RS guys considering they haven't seen the field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A few things...

What's Jeff Thomas' and Bobo's status? P Rich said Ross is as fast or faster than he is. Is this the lollypop guild of receivers...only 2 receivers above 6' and one of them is McCullough.

Maybe Ross will progress into a DeSean Jackson type, same body type, and if he has that speed, who knows what a good offseason program will do for him!

How tall is B Cooks? cause that dude is a stud! Height is needed, but speed, good route running and great hands are =y as important.

I think we don't replace PRich's production combining 2+ WR who didn't play this year (the RS or true freshmen). This could change if we secure a bada** 2014 WR or a Juco. I am just hoping our line play improves, Sefo improves his accuracy, and we have a receiving core by committee complemented by what I believe to be a pretty good group of RBs.

We lose a guy that defenses have to account for. That hurts everybody. Guys like Spruce, Bobo, Thomas, Goodson and McCulloch have to all step up. There's some talent in that group. Some speed, too. It's a matter of them upping their game, because of that entire group, only Spruce had a halfway decent season this year. Two of them (Bobo and Thomas) didn't even play this year, and we'll be depending on them to make contributions.

Significantly improved line and quarterback play might be a rising tide that lifts all ships. Without that, the receiver corp will look abysmal.

So basically we have a bunch of incoming redshirt freshman that couldn't outplay Goodson or McCulloch. Yikes.

Significantly improved line and quarterback play might be a rising tide that lifts all ships. Without that, the receiver corp will look abysmal.

yes. But it works both ways. One of the issues we had back when Cody was our QB was none of our WR's demanded help over the top and would get jammed at the LOS. That allowed defenses to load the box and bring an extra pass rusher. Cody had less time to throw, guys weren't open, and the rest is history.

It wasn't until we got PRich and Toney Clemons on the field a few years ago did things open up.

At this point, Spruce is our Scotty McKnight and we need a PRich and Toney to step up. No clue if we got anything close.

Last edited:
So basically we have a bunch of incoming redshirt freshman that couldn't outplay Goodson or McCulloch. Yikes.

I'm not sure where you're getting that from. Goodson and McColloch both have game experience. It makes sense to redshirt when you can. That doesn't mean they couldn't outplay those guys, it just means the coaching staff felt that a year of development would be more beneficial. With PRich here, he gets a lot of balls thrown his way. Playing Bobo and Thomas wouldn't have been worthwhile, seeing as they might have gotten 2-3 balls thrown their way the entire year.

yes. But it works both ways. One of the issues we had back when Cody was our QB was none of our WR's demanded help over the top and would get jammed at the LOS. That allowed defenses to load the box and bring an extra pass rusher. Cody had less time to throw, guys weren't open, and the rest is history.

It wasn't until we got PRich and Toney Clemons on the field a few years ago did things open up.

At this point, Spruce is our Scotty McKnight and we need a PRich and Toney to step up. No clue if we got anything close.

With the loss of Richardson, I'm just hoping the passing game finds a way to match last year's numbers. Any improvement on offense would have to come from the running game.

Teams will stack the box, trying to stop the running game.

We have got to find a tight end that demands some attention from the defense. Boy do I wish that Hobbs didn't leave.

One of the younger kids will step up.

I'm not sure where you're getting that from. Goodson and McColloch both have game experience. It makes sense to redshirt when you can. That doesn't mean they couldn't outplay those guys, it just means the coaching staff felt that a year of development would be more beneficial. With PRich here, he gets a lot of balls thrown his way. Playing Bobo and Thomas wouldn't have been worthwhile, seeing as they might have gotten 2-3 balls thrown their way the entire year.
If Bobo or Dunston was better than Goodson and McCulloch they should have played. You don't want to keep more talented guys on the bench unless their is a very good reason. Like Thomas' apparent off-field issues.

Basically what I'm saying is not too expect too much out of the guys we redshirted. Odds are that they won't be much better than what we saw out of our 3rd and 4th receivers this past year.

If Bobo or Dunston was better than Goodson and McCulloch they should have played. You don't want to keep more talented guys on the bench unless their is a very good reason. Like Thomas' apparent off-field issues.

Basically what I'm saying is not too expect too much out of the guys we redshirted. Odds are that they won't be much better than what we saw out of our 3rd and 4th receivers this past year.

Red shirting has value. Outside of maybe the Utah game, playing slightly better receivers wouldn't have resulted in any more wins. Coach Mac is building the program the right way. Bringing in guys with potential and allowing them the necessary time to develop. A small part of the reason we're in this hole is the past coaches burned redshirts for no reason.

Honestly, I think we need to have a TE step up to have any hope of not taking a big step back in passing.

Need a TE, opens up a whole part of the field that we couldn't exploit this year. Of course young guys will have to step up and hopefully we add a Lee or Fields to the equation. Another thing I wanna see is using the backs in the passing game. They didn't do it well last night but the Saints normally do a good job of using the backs in that area.

I am definitely less concerned about our WR group than I am about our TEs.

And I am less concerned about WR and TE than I am the OL. With good to above average OL play I think Sefo will find guys and get the ball there, no matter the name on the jerseys. Time to throw is huge. We will be ok with PRich if the OL takes a significant step forward. If they take a step back, it doesn't matter even if PRich stayed.

Disagree with the premise. CU had a solid 1-2 WR combo in PRich and Spruce. DD Goodson and Ross were the slot receivers. Really it was the 4th wideout spot that possibly Thomas, Dunston, or Bobo could've played. However, the upside over McCulloch, isn't really there for that 4th spot, especially early in the season when they are still learning the playbook, how to practice and integrating into college life. Jeff Thomas probably would've played if not for some nagging injuries and other issues. As the season progressed, I think the coaches decided to play for the future and redshirt Thomas rather than play him in the last 4 or 5 games. Dunston and Bobo were planned redshirts from the outset unless there were injuries.

Red shirting has value. Outside of maybe the Utah game, playing slightly better receivers wouldn't have resulted in any more wins. Coach Mac is building the program the right way. Bringing in guys with potential and allowing them the necessary time to develop. A small part of the reason we're in this hole is the past coaches burned redshirts for no reason.
The bolded is my point. I am a staunch supporter of redshirting as many freshman as possible. So long as the talent differential between a freshman and an older player is minimal you should always save redshirt. But if Bobo and Dunston are only slightly better than McCulloch and Goodson...yikes.

Disagree with the premise. CU had a solid 1-2 WR combo in PRich and Spruce. DD Goodson and Ross were the slot receivers. Really it was the 4th wideout spot that possibly Thomas, Dunston, or Bobo could've played. However, the upside over McCulloch, isn't really there for that 4th spot, especially early in the season when they are still learning the playbook, how to practice and integrating into college life. Jeff Thomas probably would've played if not for some nagging injuries and other issues. As the season progressed, I think the coaches decided to play for the future and redshirt Thomas rather than play him in the last 4 or 5 games. Dunston and Bobo were planned redshirts from the outset unless there were injuries.
My premise is to expect a very weak WR core next year. And don't count on the guys who redshirted being much better than what we saw from our current 3rd and 4th receivers. Thomas, maybe, but if he has issues then who knows if he'll actually be around.

Maybe these guys do make those vaunted big improvements while sitting out a year? I'm not counting it out. Wouldn't count on it either.

I don't know what we have with our RS-Freshmen WRs.

Dunston and Bobo were raw. JT had some things he needed to get straightened out.

Could it be that they're a super-talented group that could have helped this year, but HCMM made the call to redshirt since neither P-Rich or Spruce were going to be coming off the field much on the outside?

Maybe we have more than we think. Hard to know.

At TE, seeing the lightbulb come on for Sefo in the 2nd half of the Utah game and start finding the TE in this offense opened everything up. That's a great sign. But who is he going to throw to? Slavin looks dependable. Center may be able to step up next year after a year acclimating to football. Irwin would have to be assumed as a solid blocking TE, given that his brother may be our best OL. But the guy that everyone is whispering about is incoming freshman Dylan Keeney.

At 6'6" and playing his first season as a full-time TE, Keeney had 40 catches for 791 yards (19.8) and 13 touchdowns. HCMM is considered a wiz at projecting high school talent into college positions. He obviously saw something with Keeney. Now the question is whether Keeney can get up from 215 lbs to the 235 or 240 he will need to be to deal with BCS linebackers.

My premise is to expect a very weak WR core next year. And don't count on the guys who redshirted being much better than what we saw from our current 3rd and 4th receivers. Thomas, maybe, but if he has issues then who knows if he'll actually be around.

Maybe these guys do make those vaunted big improvements while sitting out a year? I'm not counting it out. Wouldn't count on it either.

Could be a bad receiving corp. No doubt. None have taken a college snap, so I don't disagree with the last sentence above one bit. However, I disagree with the premise suggested in your OP that the act of redshirting Bobo, Dunston and Thomas is indicative in any way of their abilities and their potential to shine in the future. In fact, I think the presence of PRich allowed HCMM to redshirt all three. He swapped maybe 15-20 catches as a true freshman for (potentially) 40+ catches as redshirt senior.

Losing Vincent Hobbs hurt this year, and it's going to hurt even more next year. If we had an athletic TE, we wouldn't necessarily need for a WR to come out of nowhere and be a stud. Now we kind of at least one WR to come out of nowhere and be a speed threat. PRich says that Devin Ross is faster than him; great, but is he faster on the field, while carrying the ball? Bobo reportedly torched the scout team repeatedly, but can he do it against live, PAC 12 competition? Dunston has some great measurables, but we've all seen those go to waste before on guys that never saw the field. I think we need to grab a JUCO or transfer WR and TE.

Back