What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting (Football forum)

Do we use any cut blocks in our scheme. We need to go find a guy who coached at Denver, Wash, Houston and get him in here to teach us the 1 cut and go scheme with cut blocking. I know Tony Jones isn't great at running through arm tackles but I think he would be decent in that system and Powell would be like Peyton Hillis in that system. Could be a nice 1/2 punch.

CU has everything to offer, and a respectable coach should have every recruiting class ranked in the Top 25, even with the facility issues. Top 25 should be our minimum standard, and top 10 - 20 should be a reasonable expectation year in and year out.

Can you clarify? What exactly do we have to offer? A program that is in the dumps? A beautiful campus to come home to and enjoy the epic losses? Great academics to take their minds off the pain of being beat 69-14 by a middle of the road Mtn West team? Oh it will be okay... we just had one of the worst losses in school history... lets just wait until winter so we can enjoy the beauty of the flat irons covered in snow.

Cmon man. These recruits dont give a **** about this kind of environment. They want to win.

Also, who the hell lets this kid post his own threads? This thread was so poorly worded and jumbled that i actually feel worse about the state of our program because we have fans like this posting on our boards.

Last edited:
CU has everything to offer, and a respectable coach should have every recruiting class ranked in the Top 25, even with the facility issues. Top 25 should be our minimum standard, and top 10 - 20 should be a reasonable expectation year in and year out.

Why are those reasonable expectations? I think that is pie in the sky thinking and very unrealistic.

Why are those reasonable expectations? I think that is pie in the sky thinking and very unrealistic.

Exhibit A: Tad Boyle

Football at CU should have the ability to pull classes ranked in between 20-30 nationally. It's just that Embree has no credentials, no name, no wins, and no contract.

Exhibit A: Tad Boyle

Football at CU should have the ability to pull classes ranked in between 20-30 nationally. It's just that Embree has no credentials, no name, no wins, and no contract.
and pushing the "we were great 20+ years ago speech" to kids who's parents do not even remember

Can you clarify? What exactly do we have to offer? A program that is in the dumps? A beautiful campus to come home to and enjoy the epic losses? Great academics to take their minds off the pain of being beat 69-14 by a middle of the road Mtn West team? Oh it will be okay... we just had one of the worst losses in school history... lets just wait until winter so we can enjoy the beauty of the flat irons covered in snow.

Cmon man. These recruits dont give a **** about this kind of environment. They want to win.

Also, who the hell lets this kid post his own threads? This thread was so poorly worded and jumbled that i actually feel worse about the state of our program because we have fans like this posting on our boards.

A good school in a great college town and a fun environment. Good history, in major football conference. Fine tradition and legitimate opportunities at the NFL.

But, since you clearly missed the point, we are missing a major component.... and that is Pac-12 quality coaching staff.

Wins are important - they're very important - but the right football hire can come in and recruit to this school, no problem.

Arizona is recruiting a top 25 class right now. North Carolina is a top 25 class right now. Illinois and Mississippi are top 25 classes. You don't think a coach could come in and recruit successfully here?

and how did Boyle turn things around so quick BTW?

He coached up Bzdeliks players, sold bigger recruits on the progress and it has snowballed since.

It's called great coaching, because Boyle certainly was a no name, no contract. But he had acceptable credentials bringing UNC to the dance and now he has the wins at CU.

Embree has none of those things.

I will go out on a limb (saw away you ****suckers) and say that the buffs will compete nationally next season. While I had hopes for a better performance this season, expect some upsets. There is no team in Division 1 football that can not be beat.

Define compete nationally, not sure if you have been watching the buffs as of late.

Alot of kids - most kids, I'd say - want to play more than they want to win. We can offer that. Playing time, campus, academics, BCS conference, coeds... we have alot to offer. The true litmus test would be if someone like Saban or Miles took the job and started recruiting today with what Embree is selling - what kind of kids would they get?

and how did Boyle turn things around so quick BTW?

One player in basketball can make a huge difference. He inherited a decent roster and Alec Burks went from an unheralded recruit to one of the best players in the country. You could put Peyton Manning behind center but if the O-line can't block and the receivers can't get open, nothing changes.

One player in basketball can make a huge difference. He inherited a decent roster and Alec Burks went from an unheralded recruit to one of the best players in the country. You could put Peyton Manning behind center but if the O-line can't block and the receivers can't get open, nothing changes.

Buzz got things started for Tad. He was never going to be as successful as Tad is or as Tad is going to be but Tad took over a team that had Burks, had Higgins, had some other decent players. He also took over a team that had started to win some games and knew what hard work looked like. To put all this in context in BB give me UNC's roster plus a couple difference makers like Burks and Higgins and a good coach should be looking at no worse than the NIT.

Football is a whole different story. Hawk left Embree with roster of mostly MWC/WAC/SunBelt guys. The best rated recruits had mostly washed out of the program.

Look at last year. We had virtually nothing at DB, our DL was a joke, and our LB depth was an invitation to score after a couple of starters got dinged. The offense was very similar.

A few good players aren't going to change this thing around. We first have to turn over the roster with a proponderance of the guys seeing playing time being at least good enough athletes to run and hit with PAC players, unlike what Embree inherited.

Our recruiting classes can be justifiably criticized based on recruiting rankings and offer list. I have been pleasantly surprised however by many of these same guys when they actually hit the field, in many cases much earlier than they should be but we have no choice. They are still getting beat up due to their youth and lack of experience as well as a lack of mature, experienced players around them but lots of signs are postive.

This years class, small as it is looks to be another one where guys will have to ourperform their rankings but that has been a pattern so far.

I do think that as we get more experienced and as we fill some gaping holes with better athletes the team is getting much better although it isn't showing on the scoreboard yet. The issue is that we started out so far behind that we can catch way up and still be far behind.

I hope that Embree and his staff can get the ship turned around soon enough that they can not only saver their jobs but enjoy some success. I don't know if that is going to happen for them. What I do know is that if they get replaced the new coach is going to inherit a much better situation than Embree and Co. did when they came to Boulder.

It is going to be a process. Kids who are the locks to be quality players, the guys with the skills and talent to make things happen early and to impact hugely later don't go to terrible teams. This program needs to win some games. Winning will improve the quality of guys who will listen to CU and that in turn with open doors to even more recruits.

Ultimately there is no excuse for long term lousy performance. We do need to upgrade facilities but we only have to be competitive, not outspending other programs. We have to be decent but the city of Boulder, the campus, the weather, etc. can make up for some of what other schools have over us.

Ive heard both of them called Death Valley, pretty sure anyway.

:lol: My post was a dig at LSU. I forget how few southerners are on Allbuffs. Yes, both stadiums are referred to as Death Valley, but, as any Clemson alumnus will tell you, their stadium is the real Death Valley, a nickname they began using a couple of decades earlier than LSU.

:lol: My post was a dig at LSU. I forget how few southerners are on Allbuffs. Yes, both stadiums are referred to as Death Valley, but, as any Clemson alumnus will tell you, their stadium is the real Death Valley, a nickname they began using a couple of decades earlier than LSU.
Lol gotcha.

Here is the sad part for Clemson; I never knew their stadium was called death valley. I only heard that name for LSU's stadium.

Buzz got things started for Tad. He was never going to be as successful as Tad is or as Tad is going to be but Tad took over a team that had Burks, had Higgins, had some other decent players. He also took over a team that had started to win some games and knew what hard work looked like. To put all this in context in BB give me UNC's roster plus a couple difference makers like Burks and Higgins and a good coach should be looking at no worse than the NIT.

Football is a whole different story. Hawk left Embree with roster of mostly MWC/WAC/SunBelt guys. The best rated recruits had mostly washed out of the program.

Look at last year. We had virtually nothing at DB, our DL was a joke, and our LB depth was an invitation to score after a couple of starters got dinged. The offense was very similar.

A few good players aren't going to change this thing around. We first have to turn over the roster with a proponderance of the guys seeing playing time being at least good enough athletes to run and hit with PAC players, unlike what Embree inherited.

Our recruiting classes can be justifiably criticized based on recruiting rankings and offer list. I have been pleasantly surprised however by many of these same guys when they actually hit the field, in many cases much earlier than they should be but we have no choice. They are still getting beat up due to their youth and lack of experience as well as a lack of mature, experienced players around them but lots of signs are postive.

This years class, small as it is looks to be another one where guys will have to ourperform their rankings but that has been a pattern so far.

I do think that as we get more experienced and as we fill some gaping holes with better athletes the team is getting much better although it isn't showing on the scoreboard yet. The issue is that we started out so far behind that we can catch way up and still be far behind.

I hope that Embree and his staff can get the ship turned around soon enough that they can not only saver their jobs but enjoy some success. I don't know if that is going to happen for them. What I do know is that if they get replaced the new coach is going to inherit a much better situation than Embree and Co. did when they came to Boulder.

It is going to be a process. Kids who are the locks to be quality players, the guys with the skills and talent to make things happen early and to impact hugely later don't go to terrible teams. This program needs to win some games. Winning will improve the quality of guys who will listen to CU and that in turn with open doors to even more recruits.

Ultimately there is no excuse for long term lousy performance. We do need to upgrade facilities but we only have to be competitive, not outspending other programs. We have to be decent but the city of Boulder, the campus, the weather, etc. can make up for some of what other schools have over us.

This.

I suppose they get it since it's first. But LSU brings the noise and "death" much more than Clemson

Considering the win loss record, I'm impressed they are pulling in any four stars at all. Just about every college town is fun. They may not be as nice, but they are fun. And half the population doesn't take off to go skiing, they stay in town and party.

But don't kid yourselves, facilities do matter. Its an arms race, and if we want top 25 classes they need to be improved. I bet every team in the SEC and B1G have better facilities than we do. Then finding four schools between the ACC, PAC 12, and Big 12 with better facilities shouldn't be hard. Thats the top 30. If we want to compete we need to level the playing field. Probably should close the stadium with seating all the way around as well but that's another discussion.

Define compete nationally, not sure if you have been watching the buffs as of late.

The great part about making claims like "will compete nationally" is that this sort of statement actually means nothing at all, and so you will never be wrong.

It is a virtual certainty that the Buffs will "compete" (i.e. they will play games) "nationally" (they will play American teams).

There is no comparison between bb and fb. Boyle has 12 guys to coach up, Embree has 60+, Boyle had a boatload of talent to work with, Embree had brainwashed monks.

He brought in 19 guys and a 12th place finish in year 1, followed by 27 and and an 8th place finish in year two, Currently we sit at 6th place with 14, Oregon has 11 and sits in 5th. yeah we're looking up at USC UCLA UW but look at the recruits, California speed and Texas OL's. and by the numbers we're ahead of most of the PAC.

Back