What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting in state

I agree, but we need the best players we can get. Not a fan of just taken a player because you want to be great at instate recruiting or build a deep core.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be CSU. I just don't think CU can afford to turn their noses up at some of these kids any more, they're just passing up low hanging fruit that could help the program.

McChesney is so full of crap..I can't stand to listen to him anymore, these former players think they have all the answers, like they are the only ones who know jack....oh wait, I meant the other one, the Klatt guy, never mind.

McChesney is so full of crap..I can't stand to listen to him anymore, these former players think they have all the answers, like they are the only ones who know jack....oh wait, I meant the other one, the Klatt guy, never mind.
I have no clue what you are doing here.

. I think the coaches really need to do their homework on in state kids. Talk to other coaches, go to their games, attend practices, and build a trust level with the HS coaches to get honest assessments of their kids. I'd rather take a flyer on an in state kid with potential than, maybe, offer an out of state kid who is "rated" higher. McCartney began his tenure by bringing in a lot of Colorado guys on which to build a base.

:yeahthat:

The coaches have to evaluate players, in-state and out-of-state. That's where great recruiting starts. You've gotta know who can play, and go after them wherever they are. Then go get them.

There's no way CU can win relying on only in-state players. But they would also be foolish to dismiss players just because they are in state. From some rumblings I've heard, the previous staff may have had a bit of a tendency to do that.

At this point, in-state recruiting might be most important. Getting top players out of state is going to be even tougher than usual until we put up some wins. Which means more of the players we have a shot at might be more in the range of more of the in-state talent. And the in-state talent should be easier to get interested. Once we start putting up more wins, there should be more top out of state talent getting interested, which is going to mean they can be even more selective in-state....

A key to getting the best in state kids is the relationship with the in state coaches. By the looks of it, our new coach knows that too. My gut says we are in good hands as far as the future of in state goes.

Sorry to state the obvious, but the key to in-state recruiting is WINNING. Embree was committed to in-state recruiting, but the results on the field weren't good enough to attract most of the top in-state players. If Mac manages to turn things around I have no doubt he'll be able to attract the majority of BCS level in-state recruits.

Sorry to state the obvious, but the key to in-state recruiting is WINNING. Embree said he was was committed to in-state recruiting, but the results on the field and effort in their homes weren't good enough to attract most of the top in-state players. If Mac manages to turn things around I have no doubt he'll be able to attract the majority of BCS level in-state recruits.

Fify

The real important thing is to make sure you don't just let the biggest in state guys get away. Could care less about the numbers as long as you have good relationships with the schools/coaches to make sure that when you really want a guy you have an actual advantage over the out of state schools.

Sorry to state the obvious, but the key to in-state recruiting is WINNING. Embree was committed to in-state recruiting, but the results on the field weren't good enough to attract most of the top in-state players. If Mac manages to turn things around I have no doubt he'll be able to attract the majority of BCS level in-state recruits.
As GoonieBuff points out, Embree gave lip service to instate recruiting.

Im sorry but Embree was not committed to instate recruiting! He slow played those kids thinking they were on the back burner and the recruits said screw you just like they should, and what they did to Parsons was so bush!

McChesney said get your athletes from Ca and Texas but your bigs here and why not!? I would feel real good about these names in Boulder... Callahan, Oconnor, Kozan, Sirles, Austin, Hemschoot, Spond, Jr O from Mullen, Moody, Thurston, Willingham, Baylis and hell Miles and Kenny Bell would be nice as well...all would be sophs or jrs or redshirts

The walk on doesn't make sense to a kid why would a kid walk on when he could get a Scolly from Auburn, Stanford, Oregon, Nebraska, Wash, etc

Obviously a kid isn't going to walk on when they have those options but Hawkins had a very good walk on program

Im sorry but Embree was not committed to instate recruiting! He slow played those kids thinking they were on the back burner and the recruits said screw you just like they should, and what they did to Parsons was so bush!

McChesney said get your athletes from Ca and Texas but your bigs here and why not!? I would feel real good about these names in Boulder... Callahan, Oconnor, Kozan, Sirles, Austin, Hemschoot, Spond, Jr O from Mullen, Moody, Thurston, Willingham, Baylis and hell Miles and Kenny Bell would be nice as well...all would be sophs or jrs or redshirts

The walk on doesn't make sense to a kid why would a kid walk on when he could get a Scolly from Auburn, Stanford, Oregon, Nebraska, Wash, etc

Not sure about all of these players, but my understanding from Embree's comments and what I've read elsewhere is that he was heavily recruiting the players highlighted above. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think he tried to get those guys. Whether they agreed with his approach is another issue. Plus, the staff was inexperienced and CU hasn't been a strong program in years, so things were stacked against him. His entire sales pitch was "be part of the start of something special." Obviously, most of these players didn't buy it. As for Parsons, I obviously don't have first hand knowledge of what went on, but find it hard to believe that Embree would consider him a top priority and then ignore him. I find it much more likely that Parsons was concerned about the direction of the program.

Anyway, bottom line for MacIntyre is that winning will be the key. He'll likely never get all of the top Colorado talent (LSU is the only school I can think that completely dominates in state--I refuse to acknowledge Nebraska), but he should be able to get most of them with a winning program.

I dunno about how you want to work this. CO isn't CA. If you try to make friends with all the HS coaches in CO, you might end up pissing them off when the one D1 quality kid they have every 4 years is a kid that would never get on the field here. Why fight CSU, Wyo, etc for that kid? But then you're accused of not recruiting CO effectively. Would it be nice to get in good with Valor, Mullen, etc to make sure that we get good looks from the 4 and 5 star kids that come out of there? Sure, but it seems that those guys have never been interested in sending their kids to Boulder. ****, Logan never has, either. Is it partly to do with the efforts of the CU staff at the time? Probably, but not necessarily. CO's just a weird state this way. I think a lot of kids want to GTFO.

Isn't Kansas State's QB from Colorado? Missed one there.

Ron Prince recruited him fwiw. Klein was a solid QB, but put him on most teams and they aren't contenders like KSU. Snyder made him a great CFB QB. Nothing more, nothing less.

I always think there are at least 5-7 D-1 kids that we should get a year. We can't expect these kids to walk-on when you have CSU, AFU and for sure Wyoming after these kids also. Colorado kids give you a great base and for sure for lineman.

Impression, or reality? Why is it the state seems to produce more linemen than athletes?

Not sure if this is a serious question or not. Colorado is largely white. Most white guys in CFB are found at the Offensive Line, TE and QB position.

The trend follows the above.

Yeah, I was serious. I guess I hadn't thought of that, but it just raises other questions that probably make me look even dumber, so never mind. :huh:

Yeah, I was serious. I guess I hadn't thought of that, but it just raises other questions that probably make me look even dumber, so never mind. :huh:
No, no. Go ahead and ask. It won't make you look any dumber! :wink2:

Well, in that case... why do you guys tolerate BB2? Pity? Amusement? Or is he the real brains behind the operation, just here to generate discussion?

Well, in that case... why do you guys tolerate BB2? Pity? Amusement? Or is he the real brains behind the operation, just here to generate discussion?

Not sure if serious question again. We are a tolerant bunch here in Boulder. We are mostly white guys, but we welcome all races, religions, and IQ's.

Back