What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting Leftovers or Coaching Up What Ya Got?

CU Football Recruiting At Lowest Commit Level in Big 12?

I didn't realize that Coach Hawkins' recruiting efforts were routinely saved for "sweeping up the leftovers in January", as the Rivals' CU expert, Adam Munsterteiger mentioned.

And that CU's commits at this date (7) was the lowest in the Big 12.

The silver lining is they have more scholarships to hand out now. This probably makes Hawkins' sweep-up-leftovers job even easier.

My question... if CU coaches rely on 'leftovers', then how can they claim "We want to recruit OUR players" as if they've got an overall team design in mind. Taking the last players' available seems to indicate this is a coaching staff that decides to "coach up" everyone and design a team based on the talent on-hand.

Which is fine.

In fact, I'd applaud a coaching staff that can modify their team based on all the talent available, rather than forcing square pegs into round holes. To me, this is an absolutely necessary ability for college coaches - maybe Pro Teams can draft and trade for known quantities - High School players, however, are almost always more-potential than more-known. Their body weight and speed-abilities can change, they're still growing, etc.

I'm rather surprised that Coach Hawkins has led CU Football to have the fewest Big-12 commits, though, especially because that extension was delivered so he could have "recruiting security". How is Last Place In Commits his proper response to the extension then?

At least Rivals considers Iowa State to have, at this time, a worst-calibre of recruit levels.

CU Football Recruiting At Lowest Commit Level in Big 12?

I didn't realize that Coach Hawkins' recruiting efforts were routinely saved for "sweeping up the leftovers in January", as the Rivals' CU expert, Adam Munsterteiger mentioned.

And that CU's commits at this date (7) was the lowest in the Big 12.

The silver lining is they have more scholarships to hand out now. This probably makes Hawkins' sweep-up-leftovers job even easier.

My question... if CU coaches rely on 'leftovers', then how can they claim "We want to recruit OUR players" as if they've got an overall team design in mind. Taking the last players' available seems to indicate this is a coaching staff that decides to "coach up" everyone and design a team based on the talent on-hand.

Which is fine.

In fact, I'd applaud a coaching staff that can modify their team based on all the talent available, rather than forcing square pegs into round holes. To me, this is an absolutely necessary ability for college coaches - maybe Pro Teams can draft and trade for known quantities - High School players, however, are almost always more-potential than more-known. Their body weight and speed-abilities can change, they're still growing, etc.

I'm rather surprised that Coach Hawkins has led CU Football to have the fewest Big-12 commits, though, especially because that extension was delivered so he could have "recruiting security". How is Last Place In Commits his proper response to the extension then?

At least Rivals considers Iowa State to have, at this time, a worst-calibre of recruit levels.

I don't agree with the assessment that recruit left-overs. Miller, Scott, Kasa, Simmons are all great examples of kids who do not fit that designation.

Simmons only had one other offer, from KSU, if I recall correctly.

Recruiting really has me worried under this staff. The last few classes, if you look at them, have produced very little in terms of players still on the team and players that even play. This year recruiting is looking even worse than any of the other years. Not to mention that every single one of the 4*s have failed beyond belief. I think a lot of negative recruiting will be going on by opposing coaches against our team. If you're a 4* and a coach tells you, "Don't go to Colorado, have you seen how they don't even play them?" If I was a 4* and someone brought that information to me, I'd certainly be a little worried.

Simmons only had one other offer, from KSU, if I recall correctly.

Recruiting really has me worried under this staff. The last few classes, if you look at them, have produced very little in terms of players still on the team and players that even play. This year recruiting is looking even worse than any of the other years. Not to mention that every single one of the 4*s have failed beyond belief. I think a lot of negative recruiting will be going on by opposing coaches against our team. If you're a 4* and a coach tells you, "Don't go to Colorado, have you seen how they don't even play them?" If I was a 4* and someone brought that information to me, I'd certainly be a little worried.
The bag on Simmons wasn't talent, it was school

The staff doesn't really just wait around until January, though. That's unfair as they have won some big recruiting battles, they just fail to get those kids on the field. Major, Katoa, Polk, Simas, Givens, and the list goes on were all highly recruited with offers from very big time programs.

Yeah, just saying Simmons wasn't one of those big time recruits that we had to fend off other big time schools for.

The staff doesn't really just wait around until January, though. That's unfair as they have won some big recruiting battles, they just fail to get those kids on the field. Major, Katoa, Polk, Simas, Givens, and the list goes on were all highly recruited with offers from very big time programs.

You need to cross Polk and Simas off that list. And I would say Katoa was a victim of his own actions.

Huh, why? I wasn't listing players that haven't produced. I was just listing players that we got while going against some of the nations top programs. Simas might be reaching, I'm not really sure who was after him, but I do recall he had a number of offers.

Sorry to pick nits, WR, but we landed Givens mainly because of the Cally meltdown. That, and he wanted his Grandma to be able to come to his games.

Fair enough, I'm just saying there are many recruits that we have that we didn't pick up off a scrap pile. Givens had offers to pretty much anywhere if I recall, it's not like when Nebraska fell apart, the only other place to go was here.

I'm mostly concerned that Hawkins' trend is apparently waiting to the end to get a large amount of his commits.

This wouldn't be bad IF he also had a history of coaching-up players, developing skills from Game 1 on, showing a lot of better play as seasons wore on, etc.

I'm uncertain if CU had, say, 20 commits yesterday if any of them would have been affected by Scott's departure. However, now I'm less confident that the Big-12-low 7 commits are any stronger, and very doubtful that the 'interesteds' are more so.

Maybe they all hated Scott and are glad he's gone!

Back