What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting Positions

Aren't there pretty strict NCAA rules about the number of coaches you can have on staff? In particular, aren't there rules about the list of coaches that are allowed to make contact with recruits? I don't think it's a case where you just get to hire a bunch of people to focus on recruiting.

Assuming that it's all ok with the NCAA, then hiring a bunch of people to focus on recruiting would kind of be admitting that your coaching staff can't recruit, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure what people are upset about here.

I see an AD who is asking himself and those around him, "What can I do to help our coaches win?".

Putting together a recruiting infrastructure and support team is one of those things.

Good job, Bohn.

I see an AD who is asking himself and those around him, "What can I do to help our coaches win?".

Putting together a recruiting infrastructure and support team is one of those things.

Good job, Bohn.

+1

Everyone bitches about the admin not showing public support that is directly aimed at winning games. Mike Bohn unveils a program that can only help the Football Team and people jump all over it.

Complain all you want about the negatives around the program, there are plenty to choose from. If positive news comes out why spin it into more negative?

Here's the problem: the AD is portraying this as a major change to help recruiting. As with just about anything with the current AD, meaningless changes are sold as important. Everyone knows the true meaningful changes that can boost recruiting. This is not it.

Couple this with a coaching change and facility upgrades, and then we'll talk. All the recruiting staff in the world isn't going to help this staff be anything but 12th in the Pac-12 in recruiting, as we dig ourselves a deeper and deeper hole.

While it is a positive, it is more of the band aid and bailing wire reaction to a problem, instead of planning a path to excellence which has gotten CU where it is today relative to it's conference peers. While I am glad they are doing something, it appears to be more of the too little too late that has characterized MB's reign of terror.

Here's the problem: the AD is portraying this as a major change to help recruiting. As with just about anything with the current AD, meaningless changes are sold as important. Everyone knows the true meaningful changes that can boost recruiting. This is not it.

This. My guess is they'll be a bunch of undergrads. CU doing something small and talking big-time here. Still a good move, but I'd rather hear something about an actual dedication to winning ON the field

Good job, Bohn.

I'm glad he got this program going so quickly. I cant wait to see what he's going to roll out after another seven years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck, I was just trying to get DBT's goat a bit! That's why I addressed it TO HIM. Ah well...

I think hiring 6 is quite a significant number that screams, "This staff can't handle what other staffs normally do, and they can't evaluate talent themselves, so let's hire six guys to do this for them, and these guys will just teach skills to whoever shows up." Major college head coaches really don't make that many recruiting decisions OR trips. It's the position coaches who know what talent and skills to sign.

Hiring 6 new recruiters says a lot about what this CU staff does.

So it sounds like the negative reaction is almost entirely based on it being too small of a move and too long overdue?

I don't disagree with that, but it is a positive.

I can see this being very beneficial. And if it works well for football, I can see each of our other sports getting a person or two to work in this capacity. I actually think this will have a bigger impact and give us a significant competitive advantage for sports like XC, Soccer, Skiing, LAX, etc. where they have such small and overburdened coaching staffs.

But the outcry if Bohn had done this for Golf instead of investing in the football program first would have been deafening.

Heck, I was just trying to get DBT's goat a bit! That's why I addressed it TO HIM. Ah well...

I think hiring 6 is quite a significant number that screams, "This staff can't handle what other staffs normally do, and they can't evaluate talent themselves, so let's hire six guys to do this for them, and these guys will just teach skills to whoever shows up." Major college head coaches really don't make that many recruiting decisions OR trips. It's the position coaches who know what talent and skills to sign.

Hiring 6 new recruiters says a lot about what this CU staff does.

This attitude is just crazy. This is no reflection on the staff in any way. Other programs have these types of positions...what position coach can go through all those hours of tapes to evaluate talent and skill. You start out with an incredible number of prospects, you have to winnow that down somehow. It starts with contacting your resources - mostly HS coaches about players you should be looking at and many times it is a player not even on their team. You start out with about 6,000 prospects that you have identified before they start their junior year. These are big numbers and it takes a lot of time to go over the film and talk to people - no coach has that much time.

There is plenty of things to be negative about without making it up. This is a good move that will help catch us up.

Yes, crazy. Except - how can a coach get "his own players" if he does no research? Aren't you the one whining about not getting Embree's own players? Yes. So, here you now advocate they again take Zero Ownership of the players that are signed. Typical of the hypocrite.

Yes, crazy. Except - how can a coach get "his own players" if he does no research? Aren't you the one whining about not getting Embree's own players? Yes. So, here you now advocate they again take Zero Ownership of the players that are signed. Typical of the hypocrite.

Really? You think these positions will have final say over who we recruit and sign?

These people are going to be responsible for first contacts with coaches, reviewing film and then turning over prospects that they believe are quality athletes to the coaches for further evaluation. This will actually make it easier for coaches to focus on the players they really want instead of having to go through film of players that they will end up have no interest in.

Okay, so it's Bohn doing something, but it's something that's not going to change the result on the field. The staff has to change - I wish they could get better because they're very likable, but there is no evidence of that happening.

Well said.

Okay, so it's Bohn doing something, but it's something that's not going to change the result on the field. The staff has to change - I wish they could get better because they're very likable, but there is no evidence of that happening.

I'm not so sure why the staff is so "likable" relative to any other staff. Is it just because they're CU alums? Why are they more "likeable" than the staff of Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, ASU, Cal, UDub, Air Force, CSU, etc.?

+1

Everyone bitches about the admin not showing public support that is directly aimed at winning games. Mike Bohn unveils a program that can only help the Football Team and people jump all over it.

Complain all you want about the negatives around the program, there are plenty to choose from. If positive news comes out why spin it into more negative?

Why do you need more staff to do research and target prospects if you can't close? There are 15 guys ranked in rivals "Colorado List". CU has one guy. One freaking guy! If you cant' close a three star guy in your own back yard then all of the staff in the world isn't going to help.

and now we are 62nd in recruiting spiraling towards the bottom in that area also, great

This move shows, to me, that at least the AD is trying to build a winning organization. My question is, are other programs out there doing this? Are we leading edge in this or are we emulating other programs? If we are emulating other programs, which ones? Has this model been successful elsewhere?

This move shows, to me, that at least the AD is trying to build a winning organization. My question is, are other programs out there doing this? Are we leading edge in this or are we emulating other programs? If we are emulating other programs, which ones? Has this model been successful elsewhere?

But if you can't close anyone, what good is having more info?

Good job, Bohn.

I agree. This is a good move by Bohn. It provides some added assistance to several sports, not just football.

And in the event that Embree is sacked, be it this winter or next year or whenever - it gives Bohn something to show the next head coach, to show another way the athletic department is helping the football program to be successful.

I think other athletic departments make a huge investment in recruiting.

I think if you were to compare the University of Colorado's recruiting efforts with the efforts of Texas, or teams from the SEC, the Buffs would pale in comparison.

I think other athletic departments make a huge investment in recruiting.

I think if you were to compare the University of Colorado's recruiting efforts with the efforts of Texas, or teams from the SEC, the Buffs would pale in comparison.
That is what I'd suspect. I like that we are at least trying to develop a more proactive and professional organization. Hopefully, it will pay dividends.

My take on the new positions is that Bohn is trying to do the most that his short leash allows him to do to help the football program.

My take on the new positions is that Bohn is trying to do the most that his short leash allows him to do to help the football program.
Again, this is not just for the football program. When fully instituted, all programs will have recruiting assistants. Basketball, volleyball, golf, etc. Although I doubt cross country and skiing need it. Maybe in the minor sports, the recruiting folks would cross over.

Back