What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting so far...

What grade would you give Tucker and his staff for their recruiting efforts so far?

• A

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • A-

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • B+

Votes: 72 30.5%
  • B

Votes: 60 25.4%
  • B-

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • C+

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • C

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • C-

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Is comparing year 1 of one staff to year 5 of another staff apples to apples?

Expectations help form our opinions. I have higher expectations once a staff has had a chance to establish itself than I do when they are brand new. That impacts my opinion. If you want to know what a computer thinks of recruiting, ask a computer.

Given that the 5th year recruiting under the previous staff was nothing above average, I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect immediate improvement.

There’s also the fact that multiple visitors so far have since been downgraded in rating, particularly the three 4* recruits who actually, you know, committed to CU this year.

Went with a B+ due to the 4 star QB we have and he's starting to get hype in Texas which is saying something about him. Being in that top 40 list for Dave Campbell's Texas Football is going to be like gasoline poured on the fire. Just look at his offer list.

Snead's commitment has us sitting at 40th overall and 6th in the Pac 12, with 16 commitments. We're basically right there with ASU, UCLA and Cal in the conference in terms of number of commitments and average recruit ranking.

I know we all want better, but until we actually win some meaningful games this is about as good as we can reasonably expect. I’m fine with how we’ve recruited so far.

Free article from Rivals on GA Coach Hankton and what's going on with CU's push into Louisiana recruiting.

"Coach Tuck wants to recruit in Louisiana and it's there to happen," Hankton will say. "We want to keep the iron as hot as it can be in Louisiana."

"When we’re in the conversation with Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Clemson, whoever else, and we start getting over the hump, that’s when it’s going to start," Hankton said. "It only takes one guy to get here and get things going. This place has everything and more that other places have. Once a New Orleans kid comes here and sees the mountains for the first time, that’s all it takes.”

It all sounds good in theory, but it just seems to be banking on "look how beautiful the mountains are" as the primary recruiting strategy, which we already know doesn't really work when you're competing with the SEC/ACC elites.

Have we have any serious traction with any LA kids yet?

It all sounds good in theory, but it just seems to be banking on "look how beautiful the mountains are" as the primary recruiting strategy, which we already know doesn't really work when you're competing with the SEC/ACC elites.

Have we have any serious traction with any LA kids yet?
No matter where we recruit, do we really have anything to sell besides Tucker's vision and our recruiter relationships getting them to visit campus where they're hopefully blown away by location and facilities? I don't know what makes Louisiana any different on that versus anywhere else we'd try to recruit other than we've been working some of the other relationships for longer. At least with Louisiana we're talking to parents and coaches who well remember the glory days of EB and Kordell, among other local players who were standouts at CU.

No matter where we recruit, do we really have anything to sell besides Tucker's vision and our recruiter relationships getting them to visit campus where they're hopefully blown away by location and facilities? I don't know what makes Louisiana any different on that versus anywhere else we'd try to recruit other than we've been working some of the other relationships for longer. At least with Louisiana we're talking to parents and coaches who well remember the glory days of EB and Kordell, among other local players who were standouts at CU.
There is major culture shock going from the deep south to Colorado, there aren't really any ties or similarities between the states, and we don't play in a conference that gets much exposure in LA (or the South in general). The kids that CU will attract from that state are the ones who don't really have interest in playing in the SEC and want to experience something completely different. That's fine, but it's those kids who also have P5 talent are few and far between. None of that is really an obstacle with the conference footprint and Texas.

It's the same thing as us trying to recruit Florida when we brought Leavitt on. Watts, Huntley and Julmisse.....................

You need a position coach with ties to Louisiana recruiting. A grad assistant can only do so much.

You need a position coach with ties to Louisiana recruiting. A grad assistant can only do so much.
We have guys like Johnson who have ties. I don't think we've got any "native son" guys, though. And I agree that makes a world of difference.

There is major culture shock going from the deep south to Colorado, there aren't really any ties or similarities between the states, and we don't play in a conference that gets much exposure in LA (or the South in general). The kids that CU will attract from that state are the ones who don't really have interest in playing in the SEC and want to experience something completely different. That's fine, but it's those kids who also have P5 talent are few and far between. None of that is really an obstacle with the conference footprint and Texas.

It's the same thing as us trying to recruit Florida when we brought Leavitt on. Watts, Huntley and Julmisse.....................
We have Lucile’s, is that not enough?!

On the positive side, Colorado has definitely come up in recent years with its BBQ scene. Not quite there yet, but better than a lot of states.

On the negative side, Colorado is still severely lacking on homestyle cooking (Cracker Barrel type dishes by legit cooks). Sadly, when I was craving fried chicken in Boulder I found my best options were Sprouts & Safeway, which is just sad. Cajun/Creole is something you can find, but we don't have it at that homestyle level of an inexpensive hole in the wall restaurant specializing in Po Boys nor do we have the paper plate étouffée, rice & beans, jambalaya, etc. joints.

On the positive side, Colorado has definitely come up in recent years with its BBQ scene. Not quite there yet, but better than a lot of states.

On the negative side, Colorado is still severely lacking on homestyle cooking (Cracker Barrel type dishes by legit cooks). Sadly, when I was craving fried chicken in Boulder I found my best options were Sprouts & Safeway, which is just sad. Cajun/Creole is something you can find, but we don't have it at that homestyle level of an inexpensive hole in the wall restaurant specializing in Po Boys nor do we have the paper plate étouffée, rice & beans, jambalaya, etc. joints.
Any recommendations for a good BBQ joint near Boulder? I haven’t found anything above average since leaving Texas. The Mexican food is getting better though.

Any recommendations for a good BBQ joint near Boulder? I haven’t found anything above average since leaving Texas. The Mexican food is getting better though.
Also can confirm Wayne's in Superior is good. I think it's the 2nd best BBQ place in CO.

The best right now is Owlbear in Denver.

Georgia Boys is my favorite. Main joint is in Frederick, but there's a small location in Longmont.

GQue in Broomfield is really good.

Wayne's in Superior also a great option.

Only place down here that's worth a damn is Serious Texas. Durango has two, had to fix that, Bloomfield and Farmington have one, too. They have pretty good brisket, the Durango one, anyway. Dickey's isn't worth what you have to pay. The Spare rib is decent, haven't went there in awhile. Only other place I can think of would be InfiniteBBQ, it's not a restaurant, though. Can't say a truck, more like a food trailer, it's in the damn Lowe's parking lot, lol.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I’ve heard good things about Wayne’s, but never caught it in time since they close after lunch. Time for a meat sweats tour of your suggestions.

Georgia Boys is my favorite. Main joint is in Frederick, but there's a small location in Longmont.

GQue in Broomfield is really good.

Wayne's in Superior also a great option.

Georgia Boys is minutes from my house. Their smoked meats are fantastic. Some of their sides though :sick::sick:

I’ve been twice since I’ve moved here. The Mac and cheese was watery both times and was horrid and the beans were never fully cooked. My 8 year old nephew who eats anything and everything even said he hated the Mac and cheese.

Georgia Boys is minutes from my house. Their smoked meats are fantastic. Some of their sides though :sick::sick:

I’ve been twice since I’ve moved here. The Mac and cheese was watery both times and was horrid and the beans were never fully cooked. My 8 year old nephew who eats anything and everything even said he hated the Mac and cheese.
Agree on the sides. But try drizzling a bit of their hottest sauce into the Mac & Cheese. I enjoyed it after doing that.

Back