What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting so far...

What grade would you give Tucker and his staff for their recruiting efforts so far?

• A

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • A-

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • B+

Votes: 72 30.5%
  • B

Votes: 60 25.4%
  • B-

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • C+

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • C

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • C-

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Frustrating thing is that Onu and Hambright were great at filling holes to bridge to 2020... but I'd like grad transfers at the same positions to bridge to 2021. We've got to get to the point where this isn't a constant need in order to field a team that's representative of a P5 program.
We shouldn’t need a grad transfer at LT. If we do, that says a lot about Fillip

8-4 solid?
Yes. For all the **** teams we've watched since Hawkins we've (usually) still been a difficult team to beat at Folsom

Is it too much to expect he'll be ready to be the starting LT in 2020? Sherman to LT and someone to RT?

If he's not ready than he never will be. He needed time in the weight room. As a rs soph hopefully he's put in that time

He’s been on campus for two years. At what point do we expect highly recruited players to be ready?? Don’t care if Sherman needs to shift to LT and Fillip goes to RT, but that needs to be our starting duo in 2020, IMO.

So why didn’t Filip play this season if he is expected to start next season?

We might see two. Odds are greater of seeing zero versus four. The roster next year is solid.

Get 3-4 and hope for 1-2 to pan out just like last year. But we’re just needling tiny things on this topic.

The roster is solid in most areas. So you feel comfortable with the OL and secondary as is?

We have a few holes in our roster next year, but that is a huge leap from the canyon we had in entire units when we started this year. Given what the coaching staff displayed this season, I expect that our DL will continue to improve and lead a much more fundamentally and responsibility sound Defense next year. I would also take MT at his word that they have been developing depth throughout the year, and expect to see some second string OL and LB’s grow into solid starters/contributors next year.

To me, the biggest glaring hole on this team next year is QB. I say start the frosh, let the team grow into being nasty and run the damn ball a lot early in the season. I won’t say 8 wins, but going to a bowl game should be an absolute bare minimum. With this class coming in this year, 2021 could prove to be a very exciting season.

I hate that a guy comes in, plays 1 season, and leaves. I don’t hate having the player but I hate losing them before really seeing a full body of work. And I don’t think they reach their full potential as a team member. And not just football. I felt the same with Derrick White. Though he at least had a year to work with his teammates before playing a year, I felt almost robbed only having him play for 1 year.

I hate that a guy comes in, plays 1 season, and leaves. I don’t hate having the player but I hate losing them before really seeing a full body of work. And I don’t think they reach their full potential as a team member. And not just football. I felt the same with Derrick White. Though he at least had a year to work with his teammates before playing a year, I felt almost robbed only having him play for 1 year.

I don't hate it, but some are hit and miss. Onu was certainly a hit, and like you said I wish he was here longer than he was. For QB though, that's a lot to put on a one year guy.

I think that is part of the college game that I enjoy immensely. We get to see them mature as athletes (hopefully as people). We also understand that there is a max window on how long they will be here, so watching them grow up is a time limited. The one and done really changes that dynamic, and we get "cheated" out of watching and enjoying their development.

Reactions: DBT
I think that is part of the college game that I enjoy immensely. We get to see them mature as athletes (hopefully as people). We also understand that there is a max window on how long they will be here, so watching them grow up is a time limited. The one and done really changes that dynamic, and we get "cheated" out of watching and enjoying their development.

Yeah, the one and done sucks. Thankfully, CU doesn’t have enough money to employ those players...errrrr I mean “educate,” like Kansas, Duke and UNC.

We'll see how Spring goes with Lewis, but I am much more inclined to roll with him and live with the growing pains. Of course, that depends on which GT QB they might be able to bring in. I'm not interested in bringing in some JAG just because. Same with Tackle.
What if JAG = "better than Lytle (Tyler of Chance)"?

Because that might be what we're talking about for our 2-deep/ potential starters at these positions if Lewis or Fillip aren't ready or don't stay healthy.

Looks like Utah I’d take two transfers at QB. Powell the Baylor kid and the Souch Carolina Grad transfer. No news on Jack Sears from SC. I don’t trust the depth at qb at all.

What if JAG = "better than Lytle (Tyler of Chance)"?

Because that might be what we're talking about for our 2-deep/ potential starters at these positions if Lewis or Fillip aren't ready or don't stay healthy.
They would have to be significantly better than the Lytles, otherwise I don't see a ton of upside. I guess I don't really care if they have room on the 85 to add some veterans for depth, but I'm far more interested in seeing the younger guys, who should be expected to compete for a starting job. Maybe I'm just irritated with the last 7 years of seeing less talented upperclassmen get the nod, all in the name of experience and playing it safe.

Last edited:
Our qb situation is very delicate imo. Looking at the ****braska situation, Frost came in the first year and handed the job to Martinez without competition. It was obvious he didn't even give the backups a chance so they all leave and they were left with Martinez and a walk on. Edit: Mel does not strike me as someone who would do that

I think this discussion depends on how good our line will be next year. I think the o line will take a small step back, hopefully I'm wrong but Hambright and lynott will be hard to replace. I think we shouldn't lose faith in stenstrom yet but the ideal situation would be bringing in a grad transfer so Lewis can get his feet wet and not lose confidence because of a potentially below average line

They would have to be significantly better than the Lytles, otherwise I don't see a ton of upside. I guess I don't really care if they have room on the 85 to add some veterans for depth, but I'm far more interested in seeing the younger guys, who should be expected to compete for a starting job. Maybe I'm just irritated with the last 7 years of never seeing less talented upperclassmen get the nod, all in the name of experience and playing it safe.
Fair.

I guess where I'm at is that I'm a little impatient.

I want us to shortcut where I believe we'll be in 2-3 years.

For sure, the goal should be that any Pac-12 JAG starter level guy is recruited over and we see our underclassmen taking their jobs -- potential stars that lack experience should get the nod over mediocrity with veteran benefits.

The reality right now, though, is that at certain positions we don't have a Pac-12 starter level JAG at several positions. I don't like going all in on an underclassman with a backup plan being someone who is maybe a MWC JAG starter level guy. I feel like that's handing a job and praying since we know we can't beat Utah or USC with matchups they can attack where we are playing someone who would be a mediocre starter at CSU. It's where we would have been at S this year, for example, if we hadn't brought in Onu. The plan would have been to count on Hypolite and/or Perry to start from day one.

We need attrition with targeted upper class backfill as we're signing Top 30 balanced classes from the prep ranks for the next couple years, IMO.

I don't hate it, but some are hit and miss. Onu was certainly a hit, and like you said I wish he was here longer than he was. For QB though, that's a lot to put on a one year guy.

I'd say Onu was a hit only because CU relied on him so much. I would not say he was a Top-10 safety in the conference, maybe a Top-15. His experience and leadership was great, but there were some limitations. Certainly, he filled a place of need so CU was blessed to have him.

I guess my view is that CU's overall roster should be stronger next year. I don't want to chalk next year up as a rebuild year and waste that, I am impatient. I want to see the Buffs kick the living tar out of the Pac 12. Our OOC is not easy. We need to come out guns blazing. I really feel like we are close.

Without a grad transfer we are hoping that Lewis is both ready to go and also that we will never need to see a back up. But with a Grad transfer we end up in 1 of 2 scenarios:

A) A grad transfer comes in competes and wins the job. Lewis spends a year learning and playing back up.
B) Grad transfer comes in and is beat by Lewis and serves a quality mature back up.

I don't think we go wrong with either A or B. I think that a Grad Transfer QB is well worth a spot in our 85. At this point it is the most important recruiting to be done for 2020.

Let me also say that I think we should be an intriguing place to come for a whole slew reasons to a solid QB who wants to make a name for himself in one season.

I am good with a grad transfer if QB2 actually plays. Otherwise, we'll be in pretty much the same spot next offseason.

Back