What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting so far...

What grade would you give Tucker and his staff for their recruiting efforts so far?

• A

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • A-

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • B+

Votes: 72 30.5%
  • B

Votes: 60 25.4%
  • B-

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • C+

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • C

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • C-

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
I went with a B+. I think there could be some improvement, however I love the fact that we are recruiting on a national level. We are covering coast to coast, north to south. I think that is huge! Personally, I would rather have 3* kids from the south, than a 3* kids from the west.

I went with a B+. I think there could be some improvement, however I love the fact that we are recruiting on a national level. We are covering coast to coast, north to south. I think that is huge! Personally, I would rather have 3* kids from the south, than a 3* kids from the west.

Hmmm. That’s an interesting point you make on three star kids from the south versus the west. Not sure it’s true, though. The south is so heavily recruited, versus say Colorado, that the potential to underrate a Colorado prep may be more prevalent. There is also varied competition level within regions making game film harder to evaluate. In any case, I think it’s hard to make a blanket statement either way.

I like that we've made inroads to Georgia. That state is easily the #4 behind FL, TX and CA. It's a good place to be. It's also great that we are having success in Texas, which is a traditionally strong recruiting area for CU.

But to get where we want to go we have to start winning more battles within our conference footprint. We need to be getting the best players from Colorado. We need to be getting our share of the top guys from California, Arizona, Utah, Washington, Nevada and Oregon. Recruiting wins within that footprint have a significant added benefit since they force conference rivals to move to a Plan B recruit.

Hmmm. That’s an interesting point you make on three star kids from the south versus the west. Not sure it’s true, though. The south is so heavily recruited, versus say Colorado, that the potential to underrate a Colorado prep may be more prevalent. There is also varied competition level within regions making game film harder to evaluate. In any case, I think it’s hard to make a blanket statement either way.
I have no proof of my statement, its just totally my opinion. When you look at the competition level of the SEC and the southern schools and how down the PAC has been, I am starting to favor the southern kids, that's all.

I like that we've made inroads to Georgia. That state is easily the #4 behind FL, TX and CA. It's a good place to be. It's also great that we are having success in Texas, which is a traditionally strong recruiting area for CU.

But to get where we want to go we have to start winning more battles within our conference footprint. We need to be getting the best players from Colorado. We need to be getting our share of the top guys from California, Arizona, Utah, Washington, Nevada and Oregon. Recruiting wins within that footprint have a significant added benefit since they force conference rivals to move to a Plan B recruit.
I agree to a point. We do need some wins in our footprint. However, being in Colorado and not on the West Coast, I think it does give us better flexibility, to reach other parts of the country. And per my answer to Buzz I would rather fight for the southern kids than the west coast kids. Once again just my opinion, I would rather copy the SEC schools than any of the PAC schools at the moment.

I have no proof of my statement, its just totally my opinion. When you look at the competition level of the SEC and the southern schools and how down the PAC has been, I am starting to favor the southern kids, that's all.

Yup, I get where you’re coming from. I think Nik has it right. It’s good to get into Georgia, especially if we can get DL talent from there which is what the west seems to lack the most. But, we also need better results at home and in California. I think it’s reasonable to be a little concerned about California recruiting right now. There’s been a drop off and the fact the staff has fewer connections to the far west is showing in my opinion.

Part of the reason the Pac is down is that eastern programs are cherry picking the top talent, and that trend seems to be deepening. It’s an issue.

I agree to a point. We do need some wins in our footprint. However, being in Colorado and not on the West Coast, I think it does give us better flexibility, to reach other parts of the country. And per my answer to Buzz I would rather fight for the southern kids than the west coast kids. Once again just my opinion, I would rather copy the SEC schools than any of the PAC schools at the moment.
Problem in the Pac-12 is not talent. Conference continues to be close to the best at putting the most guys in the NFL every year when we look at the number of draft picks per team (ie, divide by 14 for SEC, ACC, B1G, 12 for the P12, 10 for the Big 12). Problem lies in coaching and infrastructure. That's starting to impact recruiting and we're losing a lot of the top western talent to other conferences + Notre Dame.

We appear to be getting commitments from guys who, on paper, should be able to win 8-10 games per year. That represents an improvement. Our OL recruiting has improved dramatically. I’d give it a B+ as there is room to improve. Solid effort this far, though.

Teams that are filled with B+ recruits win a lot of games.

There are eight 5 star recruits in the west. Here’s where they stand:

Sav’ell Smalls WA to Alabama
Kelee Ringo AZ to Texas
Darnell Washington NV to Alabama
DJ Ulgalelei CA to Clemson
Elias Ricks CA to LSU
Kendall Milton CA to uncommitted, Georgia and Oklahoma fighting it out
Bijou Robinson AZ to uncommitted, Texas lean
Johnny Wilson CA to uncommitted, looks like he will stay in Pac 12, USC probably

So, of the five stars out west, Pac 12 has zero commits, and already lost five of them if commitments hold. That’s your issue in a nutshell. And it’s getting worse.

There are eight 5 star recruits in the west. Here’s where they stand:

Sav’ell Smalls WA to Alabama
Kelee Ringo AZ to Texas
Darnell Washington NV to Alabama
DJ Ulgalelei CA to Clemson
Elias Ricks CA to LSU
Kendall Milton CA to uncommitted, Georgia and Oklahoma fighting it out
Bijou Robinson AZ to uncommitted, Texas lean
Johnny Wilson CA to uncommitted, looks like he will stay in Pac 12, USC probably

So, of the five stars out west, Pac 12 has zero commits, and already lost five of them if commitments hold. That’s your issue in a nutshell. And it’s getting worse.
When USC and UCLA suck, this is what happens.

I’d say that most Colorado preps get overrated more often than underrated due to below average competition.

When USC and UCLA suck, this is what happens.

Definitely a big part of it, but Washington does not suck and they lost a kid in their backyard, although I don’t know if there were other factors there. In Colorado, lots of the top ranked preps (high three star and four star recruits) are headed to the Big Ten. Losing Kole Taylor to Penn State would be another.

Definitely a big part of it, but Washington does not suck and they lost a kid in their backyard, although I don’t know if there were other factors there. In Colorado, lots of the top ranked preps (high three star and four star recruits) are headed to the Big Ten. Losing Kole Taylor to Penn State would be another.
Yeah but USC and UCLA have carried the torch in terms of 5 star commitments for this conference for a long long time. The other schools for the most part always struggle to keep those blue chip kids.

Yeah but USC and UCLA have carried the torch in terms of 5 star commitments for this conference for a long long time. The other schools for the most part always struggle to keep those blue chip kids.

Very true, but I’m not weeding through hundreds of three and four star recruits. My sense is that the issues run deeper beyond even those few five stars.

As for Colorado, the state produces great offensive linemen. Keeping more of them home is job #1.

Right now a B

Win games and recruiting gets better but at least we appear to be moving in the right direction with the talent they are chasing.

Very true, but I’m not weeding through hundreds of three and four star recruits. My sense is that the issues run deeper beyond even those few five stars.

As for Colorado, the state produces great offensive linemen. Keeping more of them home is job #1.
I don't really know if I agree that it runs deeper than that. Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Cal and ASU are all probably recruiting where they should be (Oregon obviously higher than they should be). There is no reason for USC and UCLA to be outside the top 20 in recruiting rankings and they both were in 2019 with no signs of that getting better. USC had a top 3 class by average stars for about 5 years in a row for example. There is no way the Pac-12 will ever have the amount of teams in the top 20 that the SEC and Big-10 do, that just isn't realistic based on where a majority of the recruits are from. Here is where I think the schools should get to consistently.

USC-top 5
UCLA- top 15
Oregon and Washington- top 20
Stanford and ASU- top 30
Cal, Utah and Colorado- top 40
Arizona, WSU top 50
Oregon State-top 65

6 PAC-12 teams in the top 30 is a very realistic goal, IMO.

Decided on a B+. Would have been an A if we had a couple of nice big 300 pound defensive tackles on board. But the game is not over yet.
The improvement on size and speed is beyond question and that is an especially good aspect to the latest class.

QB is also a very overrated position here. We’ve seen some highly touted ones get recruited but really none of them have success. Colin Klein is probably the most successful one but he wasn’t highly recruited/rated.

That’s part of why I wasn’t thrilled with the previous staff seemingly being content with going exclusively CO with QB offers/takes.

Back