What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting so far...

What grade would you give Tucker and his staff for their recruiting efforts so far?

• A

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • A-

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • B+

Votes: 72 30.5%
  • B

Votes: 60 25.4%
  • B-

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • C+

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • C

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • C-

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Not better than the ‘19 class before the coaching change. Not even close. We lost some serious talent at HCMT wasn’t able to get any of them back.

That’s nonsense, that class was high 30’s, maybe low 40’s, no different than where we are now. HCMT also did get some of them back, KJ Trujillo? If I remember correctly he also held on to Luckett and definitely Dixon who seemed to be leaning HARD towards leaving. Also he added the highest rated recruit, shenault, and he added ham last minute who was damn near a 4 star recruit and the 3rd highest rated guy we got.

The qb that followed Roper. He was only a three star I believe. Who else was highly rated that we lost?
Toler. Evans. Chapman. Farrar. D. Jackson. J. Martin. C. Jones. Every single one of them signed with P5 schools, all of which are more highly regarded than CU, except maybe NC st.

JRK's specialty is pissing on optimism.

When the board is uniformly negative (much of the last two years), he disappears. Any glimmer of optimism surrounding the program thrills his heart...

because he can rejoin the conversation and **** all over it again.

I've seen this show too many times.

Toler. Evans. Chapman. Farrar. D. Jackson. J. Martin. C. Jones. Every single one of them signed with P5 schools, all of which are more highly regarded than CU, except maybe NC st.

I will give you Toler and Chapman.

-Evans and CU seemed to be mutually disinterested.

-Farrar was a soft commit for months.

-Jaylen Martin may have been a loss? Hardly a can't miss prospect.

-Drawing a blank on Jackson and Jones? (More than a first initial would help)

Your overall vendetta toward the new staff is so strange.

Last edited:
This staff hasn’t coached a down yet in black and gold. All they did was come in, filled some gaping holes quickly and then got a good start in this class and has shown a knack to grab attention of higher ranked players than we’ve seen in a long time here, yet people are already ****ting on the recruiting? You guys are impossible.
“You guys?”

Seems like we're conflating some things. Last class it seems MT rolled in and thought he could do a little better than he did and wound up dropping guys only to attempt to go after them later. Miscalculation perhaps especially with the secondary looking so thin, but I have issues faulting the guy for aiming high. In the end I think it was a pretty decent transition class all things considered.

Now this year, I'll say that if we finish only marginally better than most of MM's classes, that's not gonna cut it. But we're in July, there's still a lot of time left and I'd argue we have a bunch of guys in that 84-85 range of rating that are a lot better than those ratings. Some of the offer lists (a better way to judge imo) are quite a bit better than similarly ranked guys MM was getting.

That said, I sure hope we have some better things up our sleeves than some of the lower ranked takes we've had. A small handful of them are ok, but I'd vote we're pretty much full on those types at this point. Whiffing hard in state and having very little success in the west concerns me, but I also thought we'd get no interest from the south and we have had pretty good interest so what the hell do I know

Lots of time left to fill out this class, and only time will tell how well the staff evaluated the talent they recruited in. I personally like what I’m seeing from MT and think we’ll see upward trajectory this cycle and future cycles.

I will say this though, McCartney recruited a lot of big time talent before the program had done anything special. That talent ended up producing the best seasons in program history. Winning helps recruiting, a lot. However, a truly elite recruiter doesn’t need the wins prior to getting elite talent to commit.

Lots of time left to fill out this class, and only time will tell how well the staff evaluated the talent they recruited in. I personally like what I’m seeing from MT and think we’ll see upward trajectory this cycle and future cycles.

I will say this though, McCartney recruited a lot of big time talent before the program had done anything special. That talent ended up producing the best seasons in program history. Winning helps recruiting, a lot. However, a truly elite recruiter doesn’t need the wins prior to getting elite talent to commit.
Completely different era of recruiting. When Chad Brown was talking out his recruitment on the Fan, it was all about relationships. Now days, it’s about the glitz, the glamour. Getting on ESPN and getting to the NFL fast.

I will give you Toler and Chapman.

-Evans and CU seemed to be mutually disinterested.

-Farrar was a soft commit for months.

-Jaylen Martin may have been a loss? Hardly a can't miss prospect.

-Drawing a blank on Jackson and Jones? (More than a first initial would help)

Your overall vendetta toward the new staff is so strange.
Carl Jones and Datona Jackson. Both ended up at UCLA, I think.

I have no vendetta against current staff, just not a sunshine pumper and not willing to say they are recruiting at a higher level than the previous staff, because they aren’t. And it’s only going to harder from here after another losing season; will no longer be able to capitalize on the shiny new object momentum.

I like the HCMT hire on paper, but I think most of the rest of the staff, on paper, is extremely underwhelming.

I have no vendetta against current staff, just not a sunshine pumper and not willing to say they are recruiting at a higher level than the previous staff, because they aren’t. And it’s only going to harder from here after another losing season; will no longer be able to capitalize on the shiny new object momentum.

I like the HCMT hire on paper, but I think most of the rest of the staff, on paper, is extremely underwhelming.
On paper, which part of the last staff was better than this one?

Didn’t say they were better than this one, just saying that the opposite also isn’t true, at least not based on experience, and recruiting so far.

I give Tucker a C but I think it is going to take a couple of years to get it really going. Right now he is relatively unknown in CUs traditional recruiting footprint and he has to build that up. Recruiting in his old SE footprint is not a sustainable model, IMO. Right now USC is down and UCLA to some extent so it will be a good time to focus on California for recruiting. I expect we hired Tucker to return CU to a level of winning conference championships, to do that we have to be recruiting top 25. That is my expectation.

I think you are overrating the last class to make your point. As I said, losing Chapman and Toler were blows (especially since we tried to get them back in the fold later).

But the rest is shaky.

Ty Evans: The new staff came in with a crowded QB depth chart and none graduating. It was pretty clear neither side saw a fit. The coaches held out for 2020 and it paid off big time. That situation is the opposite of bad recruiting.

Kamryn Farrar/Datona Jackson: Were wavering for months. Not sure anyone expected them to be Buffs in the end. Commits in name only.

Carl Jones/Jaylen Martin: Decent prospects, but hardly "can't miss" types. Exactly the type of prospects where different coaching staffs had wildly different evaluations. Hardly an example of "good" recruiting.

You seem to take exception when anyone suggested the new coaching staff dropped anyone. It would be more shocking if it did not happen with a handful of prospects.

The 2019 class MM had in the fold was basically meh, and he might have lost commits anyway. This class might end up in that territory as well, but it is better at the moment.

So we’re dooming the next staff because we lost a bunch of dudes rated 84-86 and one guy rated 88? Lol

I thought we wanted better recruiting? Now we’re crying because we want back what we had? **** that.
No, there is no “we” in this conversation. It’s Denverbuff who wants MM and the old staff back. He’s been oddly critical of Tucker and this staff from the jump.

I probably rated this class higher than I should have. I rated a bit higher based on the momentum I think we have and the fact it’s only July. Top 5-6 recruits look good but I would be happier if we had 10 guys a year in that 86+ range. The recruits (for the most part) seem to have solid offer lists which is a good sign. The bottom couple recruits are hard to get excited about but I have to support anyone who wants to be a Buff.

Bottom line: we have to do better.

Grading on a curve? We finish 30’s that’s a solid B+ without winning.

Brutal grading? We finish 30’s or below and that’s a C or below. If we’re going to talk a big game then you better recruit top 25, bar none. No excuses, just get it done.

Last season would’ve ended up being a death knell to Mac’s future recruiting. Winning turns heads. So does losing. They way last season shook out put a pall over the program. The only way to shake that off was a transfusion of new blood.

Last edited:
Did you expect anything different from him? He’s had a clear agenda since Tucker was hired (MM was fired?), and doesn’t really have specifics to back up his assertions.
I have an idea as to why he's got his agenda, but as I don't know DoucheBagbuff personally so I won't attest to it. Just seems extremely odd and unnecessary considering the season hasn't started yet.

Edit: DenverBuff, freudian slip there.

I give Tucker a C but I think it is going to take a couple of years to get it really going. Right now he is relatively unknown in CUs traditional recruiting footprint and he has to build that up. Recruiting in his old SE footprint is not a sustainable model, IMO. Right now USC is down and UCLA to some extent so it will be a good time to focus on California for recruiting. I expect we hired Tucker to return CU to a level of winning conference championships, to do that we have to be recruiting top 25. That is my expectation.
I gave them a B- due to the higher number of 5.7 Rivals recruits for this time of year if my memory serves me (I am recovering from a mild head concussion currently)!
:love::ROFLMAO:(n);):D

Back