What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting updates anyone?

buff4life

Does anyone know if Embree & Co. are even trying to recruit anyone lately? I know they're just getting settled in and everything and hiring a staff and all the kids who were recruited by the outgoing coaching staff and they all have to adjust to the new but I would think that the new coaches would hit the ground running a little harder than this. The same 4 recruits are the only ones still on the list and its been 2 weeks since they signed Nelson Spruce or anyone. Nothing like waiting til the next minute I guess, might want to hurry the F*** up. signing day is just a shade over a month away and you gotta wonder if they're even making an effort. All the good in state talent is slipping away to everyone else and we're missing out. They have MAJOR holes to fill this year and especially next year with 28 seniors leaving. QB, DL, OL and especially at corner. Anyone know whats going on at all? I hope.

Does anyone know if Embree & Co. are even trying to recruit anyone lately? I know they're just getting settled in and everything and hiring a staff and all the kids who were recruited by the outgoing coaching staff and they all have to adjust to the new but I would think that the new coaches would hit the ground running a little harder than this. The same 4 recruits are the only ones still on the list and its been 2 weeks since they signed Nelson Spruce or anyone. Nothing like waiting til the next minute I guess, might want to hurry the F*** up. signing day is just a shade over a month away and you gotta wonder if they're even making an effort. All the good in state talent is slipping away to everyone else and we're missing out. They have MAJOR holes to fill this year and especially next year with 28 seniors leaving. QB, DL, OL and especially at corner. Anyone know whats going on at all? I hope.
First, welcome to the site.

To answer your question, yes. It's tough though to turn kids from schools when they've been talking for 2-3 years to them and they've only had 3 weeks or so and the staff isn't set yet which makes it diffucult. They landed a couple 3 star recruits, but lost Berglund. I'm sure Nik can answer more in-depth.

Welcome aboard.

It's a good question and deserves some more attention.

From December 20th to January 3rd, there is a recruiting "Dead Period". During this time, coaches cannot travel to visit recruits and recruits can't visit schools. There is some phone contact, but the recruit has to call the coach.

So, basically, Embree was hired on December 6th, passed his NCAA recruiting rules test on December 7th, and had 2 weeks to recruit before the Dead Period started. In those 2 weeks, while hiring coaches, he also flipped Mustoe off UCLA onto CU, got a commitment from Spruce, and set up about a half dozen official visitors for January that have been announced (there are more, so be ready for an exciting January).

National Signing Day is February 2nd.

Why'd you post this twice?

dood.. lighten up on the newbie. sometimes you can't tell you've posted, so you hit the back arrow and repost.
No biggie.

To sort of answer the question: we are in a dead period - no direct contact with recruits till after first of the year. So it makes sense that things are in a holding pattern for a couple of weeks -- but things may be happening behind the scenes.

Your other posts had 3 answers, one from me, one from Al, and one from BuffNik who is a moderator over at rivals.com who has insight.

b4l,

I answered in the 2011 Commitments & Profiles thread where you originally posted the question. I'll just move that over here so it's not repeated in 2 places.

Allright, so back to recruiting.

Embree will offer more kids, and he will land more kids. Who/What/When, we don't know, but expect the weekends in January to be busy with official visits. He has 14-15 scholarships to offer (we think) but has said he will not use them all if he doesn't land the kids that fit his vision. He's willing to bank those schollies and wait on the "right" players if necessary.

We have a couple assistant coaching positions just getting firmed up, and that will make a difference as well. Some guys you don't want to approach until you have their position coach in place.

:rolling_eyes: ...

Buffnik - even though I don't rep you a ton, I really do appreciate all the work you do, especially in making our recruiting section really easy to navigate and search through. All of the good information you and others post (AJ, Valdez, BB, etc) are helpful in understanding where our recruiting stands and how hard the staff is working.

Is there a Stoudt award for the "Second ****tiest Thread of the Year"?

OK, OK, I've got a question!!

Seriously, though, what are the ethics regarding a guy like Kennedy going after kids he was recruiting to Texas? I'd assume it would not be cool to go after kids who have already committed to UT but it would be AOK to go after any others.

Seriously, though, what are the ethics regarding a guy like Kennedy going after kids he was recruiting to Texas? I'd assume it would not be cool to go after kids who have already committed to UT but it would be AOK to go after any others.
**** that... we aint in their conference any more **** TEXAS

**** UT! It may not be cool but what do we care at this point. I hope he poaches all he can from those bastards.

Depends. There's no ethical issue with it as far as it being part of the job. But there may be a professional courtesy and respect since Kennedy has worked for Brown for 7 years. We are probably better served if Kennedy stays away from competing with UT this year and in the coming years we get in-state prospects UT doesn't have room for steered our way to keep them out of their conference and to help out someone from the coaching tree.

**** that... we aint in their conference any more **** TEXAS

**** UT! It may not be cool but what do we care at this point. I hope he poaches all he can from those bastards.

:rofl: You guys are ruthless! Gotta agree with nik. It would serve us better to keep a good relationship with UT at this point. Especially given that we are going to focus on recruiting in Texas in the future.

Depends. There's no ethical issue with it as far as it being part of the job. But there may be a professional courtesy and respect since Kennedy has worked for Brown for 7 years. We are probably better served if Kennedy stays away from competing with UT this year and in the coming years we get in-state prospects UT doesn't have room for steered our way to keep them out of their conference and to help out someone from the coaching tree.

While I would like nothing more than to see Kennedy pilfor some UT recruits, what you said makes a ton of sense. There is more long term upside to playing nice this round and going head to head next year. Use Kennedy to try and collect some kids he is familiar with this year who are going other places than UT.

makes a lot of sense still... id like to rip off their heads and **** down their ****ing neckhole... proverbially speaking

Texas and ethics. The Longhorn Black Ops would get back to manufacturing more propaganda regarding "the curse", APR, bank jobs for the parents, ect.
Same ol' same ol'.

Texas and ethics. The Longhorn Black Ops would get back to manufacturing more propaganda regarding "the curse", APR, bank jobs for the parents, ect.
Same ol' same ol'.
have you noticed since chip brown got something wrong... nothing has been heard since...

how many extra bank jobs do we have in boulder. It would be nice to know how many recruits we can still from Texas.

It is considered extremely poor form to recruit kids you got to commit to your previous school. It happens, but those cases are the exception. The other aspect is assistant coaches have to be looking out for themselves. They have to be aware that their current gig is likely temporary. Never a good idea to piss off old employers.

Kennedy is going to be invaluable in getting us in the door at the powerhouse DFW schools. We are talking schools that put out a handful of good prospects every single year. Texas is always going to be a beast to compete with, but we can hopefully pull some players that were headed to other Big 12 schools.

It is considered extremely poor form to recruit kids you got to commit to your previous school. It happens, but those cases are the exception. The other aspect is assistant coaches have to be looking out for themselves. They have to be aware that their current gig is likely temporary. Never a good idea to piss off old employers.

Kennedy is going to be invaluable in getting us in the door at the powerhouse DFW schools. We are talking schools that put out a handful of good prospects every single year. Texas is always going to be a beast to compete with, but we can hopefully pull some players that were headed to other Big 12 schools.

It may be poor form but it happens a lot.

At the same time a lot of times the kids have a relationship built up with a particular coach, if the kid chooses to pursue this relationship I see no problem with the coach following up and talking with the kid.

At the same time, I have no question that if CU had a commit that Texas wanted they would not have hesitated to go after the kid after the coaching change, like KU did with Berglund. It is all part of the process.

Until a kid has signed his LOI he is open game. Some schools respect commitments to other schools, others ignore them, most fall somewhere between. As far a poaching kids from Texas I would doubt that would happen but it wouldn't surprise me if Kennedy doesn't go after somebody who committed to another school but established a relationship with him when he was recruiting for Texas.

Back