What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

reflections on the descent into football oblivion

Alfred Williams says a lot of things.

If it was true then we wouldn't have had any problem landing elite athletes for the last 15 years.

I have talked with a lot more elite ones that told me that. Westbrook and Kordell are some others who have personally told me

gotta agree with jimmy re: wood and dillon. basing our expectations on the play of kids who have never played a down in big time football is reason we are so ****ing shocked at where we are at now. i will never ever assume again after the hawkins years.

Bull****. You were going off on EB in chat numerous time.

That is such bull**** especially from someone who wanted EB as the head coach.

If you want to go rip my takes/opinions I can take it. BUt to make up **** about what I say is a ****ing joke.

That is such bull**** especially from someone who wanted EB as the head coach.

If you want to go rip my takes/opinions I can take it. BUt to make up **** about what I say is a ****ing joke.
Oh bull****ingshitballsack twatwaffle. You were going HAM on EB during the Hawaii game.

You don't hire established BCS coaches - even at big time BCS schools. Florida hired Urban Meyer - a head coach at a MWC school. Then they hired Texas' defensive coordinator. OSU hired the head coach at Bowling Green (I think that's where the vest had coached), Oklahoma hired Florida's defensive coordinator. Michigan hired SDSU's head coach. CU just missed with Hawkins, but the forumula is essentially a good one.
100% true. The other half is cutting them loose if they are not the right guy.

Jimmybuff has never said a positive thing about any staff

Okruch I was critical and ended up being right about
Hagan I was critical and ended up being right about
Hawk I was critical and ended up being right about
Collins I was critical and ended up being right about
Brown I am critical about and will be proven right about.

Other than those, I don't remember being overly critical of any other member of the staff. Hell I even defended Watson at times. So again, not true.

every fan still posting here is delusional. that's how we get through this. ... along with demon alcohol.

Im getting tired of you slamming alcohol as demon. Maybe if you ever drank anything stronger than a mimosa, you would understand that alcohol was given to us by God Almighty himself. Sonofabitch.

gotta agree with jimmy re: wood and dillon. basing our expectations on the play of kids who have never played a down in big time football is reason we are so ****ing shocked at where we are at now. i will never ever assume again after the hawkins years.

How about this: Given their recruiting rankings as indicators, they are the 2 best QBs to come to CU in over a decade. Given that, you can infer that one or the other of them will erase the relatively minor mistake of gambling on two low rate QB prospects late in the recruiting season due to depth chart desperation.

How about this: Given their recruiting rankings as indicators, they are the 2 best QBs to come to CU in over a decade. Given that, you can infer that one or the other of them will erase the relatively minor mistake of gambling on two low rate QB prospects late in the recruiting season due to depth chart desperation.
i ****ing hope so

Im getting tired of you slamming alcohol as demon. Maybe if you ever drank anything stronger than a mimosa, you would understand that alcohol was given to us by God Almighty himself. Sonofabitch.

fatty, i love demon alcohol! it sits on my shoulder and whispers in my ear. and it usually comes in the form of whisky. mimosas are for breakfast.

Good write-up.

I would go back even further, though.

Fairbanks was hired away from the NFL. This hire, as I understand it, was bankrolled and pushed by big money boosters who were intent on winning the Big 8 against Oklahoma and Nebraska. Since Fairbanks went belly-up, CU hasn't hired an expensive coach. The only coach who had already been a head coach in big time college football was Barnett (and he was the second choice and came from the Northwestern, the lowest rung of big time football). The weasel and Embree were position coaches when hired. Mac was a coordinator. Hawkins was head coach at a small time program.

If you accept Liver's hypothesis that CU had it's pick of coaches in 1994 (I can't say either way) then it was beyond retarded to hire Neuheisal. I've heard several explanations for the choice, from money concerns to Judith Albino being in love with the weasel. I think that the the Fairbanks affair has had a lot to do with CU's subsequent hirings, meaning that there was no way that CU was going down that road again. Even in 1994, 14 years removed from the Fairbanks taint, CU was not going to recruit and pay a big name coach because of what Fairbanks had wrought.

This. The right coaching hire after Mac could have made CU a perennial powerhouse. The teams in the early nineties were absolutely stacked. Slick Rick follows the same pattern everywhere he's coached. A couple of good years followed by a steady decline. Very surprising to me that UCLA gave him the job after the same pattern at both CU and UW (but I suspect UCLA's hiring had something to do with money as well). Let's hope Embree follows the opposite trajectory. A slow start followed by a steady rise to dominance.

This thread is interesting. It's similar to one that I started several days ago.

If I might add (if I can without getting "neg raped" for it): The way I see it the man on top (meaning the AD) is the person to really be held responsible for the decline of the Buffalo football program over the last 15 years.

A new first year coach can't possibly be held accountable for "everything" going on so far this season. I for one, would like to see this team always be playing to get better from game to game. Give the coach a year or two then fry him and his staff if needed. Then go after the AD, where the buck stops.

Alfred Williams says a lot of things.

If it was true then we wouldn't have had any problem landing elite athletes for the last 15 years.

I see your point that elite athletes generally want to play at top notch programs, but I disagree that Boulder's location and physical beauty isn't a factor. I think coach Cabral said it once, but the key is actually getting players to visit. Back in the late 80s and 90s, blue chip recruits were actually visiting and were impressed by Boulder and the mountains. Nowadays, a lot of them don't even visit so there's no chance for them to be impressed. Case in point, Yuri Wright. He visited and was very impressed. That combined with him liking the coaches (and maybe some work from Tony Jones) has us in his top 5 or 7 or whatever it is. Not saying he's going to sign, but I don't think he'd even be considering CU if he hadn't seen Boulder.

Back