What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Relections from the Glass Bowl - the end of the Hawkins' era at CU ...

MontanaBuff

The late, great head coach John McKay once said, during his Tampa Bay Buccaneers' 0-14 season in 1976, "We didn't tackle well today, but we made up for it by not blocking"

Okay - Just a little levity to get you started.

Let's get to the heart of it - Colorado is one of the worst teams in Division I-A, FBS football.

Colorado will be in the "Bottom Ten" this week, and deservedly so. I am a die-hard, "with the Buffs no matter what" kind of a fan (Hell, I'm in Toledo, Ohio, for a Buff game, aren't I?), but the reality is that the CU program has descended to depths we thought we would never see again. I'm talking about Chuck Fairbanks' era awful; Colorado sky-blue uniforms awful; losses to Drake awful. This was a humilation of Montana State proportions, without the excuse of it being the first game for a new coaching staff.

The Buffs continue to look inept on offense and confused on defense. Lack of experience on the offensive line and lack of talent and depth on the defensive line is only half the story. The offensive play calling is unimaginative (commitment to the power running game lasts only until the Buffs are down two touchdowns - which happens before the first quarter is over). Clock management is apalling (can we please, please snap the ball before the play clock hit's "0"?). On defense, the Buffs were often shuttling in players against a hurry-up, spread offense - CU was consistently caught off-guard and out of position.

While some of the problems are superficial, much of what is wrong can't be fixed this season ...

- and they can't (or won't) be fixed by this coaching staff.

The end of Dan Hawkins' era came to a close tonight. Yes, there are more games to be played, and yes, there is the buyout clause in Hawkins' contract which must be addressed, and yes, the Colorado athletic department, it must be noted, is not flush with dollars to lure a new, high-priced coach.

But it will happen - it HAS to happen.

The Buffs do have some talent. It is young talent; it is immature talent; and, for some reason, it is undeveloped talent. But it is there. A new coach can come in and will at least have the opportunity to turn things around fairly quickly.

The best hope for the Colorado football program to become relevant in the near future is for the Buff players, fans, and RECRUITS is to know that there is a new beginning on the horizon.

Over 600 yards of total offense - by Toledo? Can you imagine Todd Reesing, Zac Robinson, and Colt McCoy watching the game on ESPN as they sit in their hotel rooms waiting to play their games Saturday, salavating at the mere thought of playing Colorado?

There were a number of negative records set Friday night - and it's only going to get worse.

The chant "Hawkins must go" is no longer just for the loud and boorish drunks in the stands ...

It goes for the rest of us, too.

Yep I completely agree. The announcers kept saying how Toledo runs an offense we'll be seeing quite a bit in the Big 12. I really don't want to see what teams that are 10x faster and bigger than Toledo do to us. The one point I disagree with you on is the play calling. I actually thought Kiseau stuck with the running game a fair amount, at least until halftime. After that he couldn't logically continue running the ball and eating up the clock. I still can't believe we can't get plays in and the ball hiked before the play clock reads 00. Toledo was up on the line with 15 seconds to spare and their QB was reading the defense, which showed exactly what they were going to do, and knew exactly what he wanted to do with the ball.

John McKay is really underrated when "great college coaches" are mentioned. he won 3 NC's at USC if i'm correct.

i thought we were in trouble the minute Hawk compared Toledo's O to Missouri. getting asslicked by those guys two years in a row by 50 apparently taught our D coaches nothing.

we'll get them next time with the little things or rhythm.

Last edited:
Montana, if you remember the old insurance commercials in the Mallory era. When I was a kid in the stands, I recall the banner being hoisted

"New York Life is Better Coached"

It probably is more true now than it was then. :huh:

Back