What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rep Challenge - How much will Aggie "pay" to leave the big-12-3?

How much does Aggie pay to get out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

absinthe

Ambitious but rubbish.
Club Member
Junta Member
Jens' post below and baylorfans got me thinking/laughing respectively. So I thought I'd get a little bet rolling what does Aggie actually "pay" to leave the big-12?

Sources close to Texas A&M tell Orangebloods.com the Aggies will announce they are formally withdrawing from the Big 12 on Tuesday, setting up their application for membership to the Southeastern Conference.

The sources said Texas A&M has spent the past few days trying to iron out what the Aggies' exit from the Big 12 will cost.

The full exit fee penalty would be between $28 million and $31 million, according to Big 12 sources. But the Big 12 could withhold A&M's revenue for the 2011-12 academic year, which would total roughly $18 million.

Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin was on a conference call with Big 12 presidents on Saturday to discuss the issue. A&M sources say the Aggies will do whatever they can to help the Big 12 find a replacement to help avoid any damage financially to the conference.

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe sent a letter to Loftin on Monday that basically said the Big 12 has no desire to sue A&M and that if the Aggies don't sue the Big 12, the league would simply withhold A&M's revenue for the rest of the 2011-12, sources said.

In a related development, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick told reporters the Irish are more committed than ever to being an independent in football, quashing any potential of the Irish joining the Big 12 in the immediate future.

Big 12 sources say if Notre Dame is off the table, then there's probably no chance of adding Pittsburgh, another school that had been discussed by Big 12 presidents on their conference call Saturday after Loftin got off the teleconference.

One Big 12 administrator said there continues to be interest in gauging Arkansas' potential interest in joining the Big 12 - in what would essentially be a trade between the two leagues - and that BYU remains a potential target.

Poll to follow.

If the Big 12 dissolves after this year they would have lost the money to the other teams this year anyway? Somehow I don't imagine they are going to lost more than ten million if Missouri and KU and OU and the rest say goodbye before the end of the season

My source is a sooner fan on a farm near Enid, I think. So this is FACT!

Missouri's Chancellor is the President of the Big 12 and Boren is Secretary. They delivered the exit paperwork that A&M requested yesterday. The Big 12 president's requested a face to face meeting with Loftin on the Saturday call and this occurred.

Both sides have agreed that A&M is leaving and the Big 12 will not stand in the way. The initial number on the exit fee is $12MM. There is a mutual waiver of legal claims as well.

The "rumored" 14th team is Va. Tech.

The information is a condensed version from one of the A&M pay sites sent to me by my Aggie wife.

They will pay less than 10 million in the end. Especially if they find an adequate replacement or Arky goes over.

Take the number that Chip Brown reports, cut it in half, cut it in half again, and then you'll have your answer.

I'll take whatever they stand to earn in 2011-12 year, as that is really all the Big 12 can withhold at this point, right? So $16-$18 million.

Did they re-write the exit fee after the Nubs and us left last season? I would imagine they're going to go for everything they can. Also, is this what the little 9 is going to charge them, or what they're going to end up paying in like 10 years after this goes through the courts.

Somehwere between:

$2

i-want-my-two-dollars_288x288.jpg

and

1 Billion Dollars

one-billion-dollars-austin-powers-a.jpg

(actual guess $16.7M)

Not that it matters at this point, but I thought after the Buffs and Butthuskers left, the Big Tex Conference tightened up the rules and raised the ante for any team that wanted to leave in the future? If so, I'll say it will cost atm 13m

Back