What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Replacing Mike Bohn

Jens1893

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
Who could we possibly be looking at if we decided it wasn´t enough to "just" change the coaching staff, but also thought a change at the helm of the Athletic Department was neccessary?

You cannot possibly give him the chance to hire a third football coach.

The Tad Boyle hire will save him for one more decision. Ya it was a shot in the dark and he got lucky more than anything, but it has likely bought him one last try. Despite poor coaching and poor performance folsom still averages pretty high attendance. The pearl street stampede (which was his idea) has become a huge community event, and the shop owners down on pearl love the business it brings. He has increased the donor base and has the AD operating in the black finally. He has one more shot but no more than that.

The Tad Boyle hire will save him for one more decision. Ya it was a shot in the dark and he got lucky more than anything, but it has likely bought him one last try. Despite poor coaching and poor performance folsom still averages pretty high attendance. The pearl street stampede (which was his idea) has become a huge community event, and the shop owners down on pearl love the business it brings. He has increased the donor base and has the AD operating in the black finally. He has one more shot but no more than that.

I wasn´t trying to make this a thread about Bohn, but I´m rather interested to see who is out there on the AD circuit we could be looking at just to get an idea what the market is like, because I have no idea whatsoever what it is like.

I can imagine the following phone call late last night:

Bohn: Phil, let's meet at your house 8:30 tomorrow.

DeStefano: On a Sunday morning? Are you crazy?

Bohn: Phil, I think we are in a serious situation, and we should at least talk about a solution.

DeStefano: Mike, what on Earth are you talking about?

Bohn: The football team, of course!

DeStefano: Is the NCAA investigating us?

Bohn: No. Our coaches are inept and not giving us a chance to win. We need to talk about a change. And fast!

DeStefano: Are you crazy? A coaching change? That costs money. Think how that will look in the legislature! If anything, you need to spend less money, not waste more on new coaches. Doesn't Jon have three and a half years left in his contract?

Bohn: Well, yes, but . . .

DeStefano: But me no buts, Mike. I just dont care.

Good question. Do we take the associate AD at BCS school route, or the AD at lesser school route.

I've got a solid associate AD...

I can imagine the following phone call late last night:

Bohn: Phil, let's meet at your house 8:30 tomorrow.

DeStefano: On a Sunday morning? Are you crazy?

Bohn: Phil, I think we are in a serious situation, and we should at least talk about a solution.

DeStefano: Mike, what on Earth are you talking about?

Bohn: The football team, of course!

DeStefano: Is the NCAA investigating us?

Bohn: No. Our coaches are inept and not giving us a chance to win. We need to talk about a change. And fast!

DeStefano: Are you crazy? A coaching change? That costs money. Think how that will look in the legislature! If anything, you need to spend less money, not waste more on new coaches. Doesn't Jon have three and a half years left in his contract?

Bohn: Well, yes, but . . .

DeStefano: But me no buts, Mike. I just dont care.

I heard Bohn was going to pull the trigger on Calhoun at AFA, but was over-ruled by the PC/Buff-Money crowd, in favor of Embo and EB, after all they're AfAm's and former Buffs!

Bohn's done a very creditable job with coaching hires when he stays away from the CW "hot coach" of the moment: Lappe, Kritza, Sanchez and most notably BOYLE, have all advanced their respective programs. Check out their records!He's added some great PR re: the Friday Night Stampedes and the C-Unit. His running of the last Big 12 track championships was noted as one of the best ever in the Big 12 and he's got the ski team and the XC team support as high as can be managed without a "sugar daddy" ala Knight, Pickens or Jamail.

Hawk and Katie Mac were the "hot young up-and-coming coachs" in the nation when hired and going with them confirmed only that the Peter Principle truly works.

Best thing Bohn could do now is ORDER Embo to move Sheurer in the booth as OC, move Brookhart to O-line and elevate Cabral to DC. Then they might have a chance of winning at least one game.

Reactions: aik
I heard Bohn was going to pull the trigger on Calhoun at AFA, but was over-ruled by the PC/Buff-Money crowd, in favor of Embo and EB, after all they're AfAm's and former Buffs!

Bohn's done a very creditable job with coaching hires when he stays away from the CW "hot coach" of the moment: Lappe, Kritza, Sanchez and most notably BOYLE, have all advanced their respective programs. Check out their records!He's added some great PR re: the Friday Night Stampedes and the C-Unit. His running of the last Big 12 track championships was noted as one of the best ever in the Big 12 and he's got the ski team and the XC team support as high as can be managed without a "sugar daddy" ala Knight, Pickens or Jamail.

Hawk and Katie Mac were the "hot young up-and-coming coachs" in the nation when hired and going with them confirmed only that the Peter Principle truly works.

Best thing Bohn could do now is ORDER Embo to move Sheurer in the booth as OC, move Brookhart to O-line and elevate Cabral to DC. Then they might have a chance of winning at least one game.
I don't disagree with you.

Go to a school that has a winning FB program (USC, Oregon, Michigan, tOSU, TCU, UT, OU, LSU, UF) and hire their Assoc. AD.

Its time for the P12 network to diversify into reality TV.

Two hit TV shows on their January 2013 programming list should be "So you think you can run a BCS program" and "So you think you can coach."

The Athletic Director show has celebrity judges Phil Knight, Mike Bellotti and Mary Corillo of HBO Real Sports fame.

The Coach show has celebrity coaches John Gruden, Pete Carroll and Erin Andrews.

Applicants for both programs are asked to audition in a mass cattle calls to explain why they are in the best position to run the University of Colorado Athletics department and lead the University of Colorado's Football team.

Fans are rivited to their sofas sorting out the pretenders from the contenders, and learn about the inner working of competing in the big time Pac 12 BCS football marketplace.

The winners get $2M two year contracts following the final episode. Boulder is showcased for the goldmine it is. And the nation gets full transparency on how disfuntional CU's bureaucracy really is.

Some brilliant charismatic nobody becomes the head coach darling of the 2014 and newer recrutiting class.

This stupid idea couldn't yield a worse result than what we've seen out of the last decade. And CU gets laughed at and applauded for being on the leading edge for a change.

Its time for the P12 network to diversify into reality TV.

Two hit TV shows on their January 2013 programming list should be "So you think you can run a BCS program" and "So you think you can coach."

The Athletic Director show has celebrity judges Phil Knight, Mike Bellotti and Mary Corillo of HBO Real Sports fame.

The Coach show has celebrity coaches John Gruden, Pete Carroll and Erin Andrews.

Applicants for both programs are asked to audition in a mass cattle calls to explain why they are in the best position to run the University of Colorado Athletics department and lead the University of Colorado's Football team.

Fans are rivited to their sofas sorting out the pretenders from the contenders, and learn about the inner working of competing in the big time Pac 12 BCS football marketplace.

The winners get $2M two year contracts following the final episode. Boulder is showcased for the goldmine it is. And the nation gets full transparency on how disfuntional CU's bureaucracy really is.

Some brilliant charismatic nobody becomes the head coach darling of the 2014 and newer recrutiting class.

This stupid idea couldn't yield a worse result than what we've seen out of the last decade. And CU gets laughed at and applauded for being on the leading edge for a change.

It'd be nice to be on the leading edge for a change, too bad we're just in the CU getting laughed at stage.

I don't hold Bohn accountable for the Embree hire. If a manager isn't given authority, you can't hold that manager accountable.

On football hiring:

Decision to fire Barnett - Bohn
Decision to hire Halkins - Bohn
Decision to extend Halkins - Bohn
Decision to give Halkins a 5th year - Not Bohn
Decision to hire Embree - Not Bohn

Outside of football (which admittedly counts more than all other programs combined), Bohn's coaching decisions have all been good with 2 notable exceptions. 1) Kathy McConnell-Miller, who was a rushed decision after Kevin Borseth backed out at the 11th hour. Borseth would have been an excellent hire, but the rebound from missing out was ****ed up. 2) Allowing the Ricardo Patton lame duck year. It was financially driven and made the rebuilding job for MBB so much harder and so much worse. It was definitely a move that was financially driven and I'm not sure, much like the Halkins lame duck year, that Bohn really had an ability to make a different choice.

In short, Bohn has a mixed record that is generally positive on the coaching front. I want to see him have an opportunity to do his job and either sink or swim with the next football hire.

When will the next football hire be made though? How long are we going to be stuck with these historically bad performances?

After suffering through D2's complete suckitude, our "leaders" decided the best course of action was...."Let's do what Wazzou did!" Let's hire a former player at a bargain basement salary, that will get 'er done. (Of course, at least Wulff had head coaching experience)

We are where Wazzou was in 2008, except they managed to beat Portland St and UDub (although UDub was 0-12): Multiple games giving up 60+, others games giving up 50+, an anemic offense averaging less than 13 pts/game.

As CU's awful product on the field continues, I'm afraid our "leaders" will do....Nothing.

We're paying bargain basement prices, while the Pac-12 checks keep coming in.

Can't say Bohn is the problem. Hawk ended up being a disaster, but at the time of the hire he was a pretty coveted prize. And for the extension, we just went to a bowl game and were getting a top 20 recruiting class. On paper the hire and extension, at the time, made sense. And I remember both, particularly the hire, being pretty popular around these parts.

I don't think Embree was Bohn's first choice. I'm guessing the cheapness and 'recapture the glory days' boosters had a lot to do with that decision. Plus, with the state of the program, Bohn's credibility took a hit.

Overall, with the other coaches hired, PAC XII deal, the Chief Marketing Officer, innovative fan events etc, Bohn's done a pretty good job. B+ IMO.

Ways to fix the program from the admin side: free up admission exemptions for football players to make it easier to get guys in here, hire a top notch OC/DC from a perennial BCS power or a good HC from a smaller conference, and invest in facilities.

Finally, keep the boosters involved, but let's get past our past. It was great, but college football has changed and we need to change with it.

Can't say Bohn is the problem. Hawk ended up being a disaster, but at the time of the hire he was a pretty coveted prize. And for the extension, we just went to a bowl game and were getting a top 20 recruiting class. On paper the hire and extension, at the time, made sense. And I remember both, particularly the hire, being pretty popular around these parts.

I don't think Embree was Bohn's first choice. I'm guessing the cheapness and 'recapture the glory days' boosters had a lot to do with that decision. Plus, with the state of the program, Bohn's credibility took a hit.

Overall, with the other coaches hired, PAC XII deal, the Chief Marketing Officer, innovative fan events etc, Bohn's done a pretty good job. B+ IMO.

Ways to fix the program from the admin side: free up admission exemptions for football players to make it easier to get guys in here, hire a top notch OC/DC from a perennial BCS power or a good HC from a smaller conference, and invest in facilities.

Finally, keep the boosters involved, but let's get past our past. It was great, but college football has changed and we need to change with it.

Absolutely

Back