What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Report: Chip Kelly close to deal with Cleveland Browns

My guess is the only job that Chip Kelly would leave for without hesitation is the Patriots, but Bill Belichik has that job until he decides to retire.

Good stuff. So the Patriots are going to hire someone who has never won a championship in college or done anything in the pros to replace Belichik? Kelly is clearly more qualified to coach the Patriots then Josh McDaniels who called the plays for the most prolific offense in NFL history and again called the plays for the best offensive in the NFL this year. Right. Chip is also 13 years older and has significantly less experience than Josh.

Good stuff. So the Patriots are going to hire someone who has never won a championship in college or done anything in the pros to replace Belichik? Kelly is clearly more qualified to coach the Patriots then Josh McDaniels who called the plays for the most prolific offense in NFL history and again called the plays for the best offensive in the NFL this year. Right. Chip is also 13 years older and has significantly less experience than Josh.

Belicheat is likely to retire when Brady retires. And NE will no longer be an elite team when that happens, no matter the coach.

Chip Kelly is much more qualified to be a head coach than Josh McDaniels. I hope like hell the Pats think differently though.

Typical ploy he had no intention of leaving.

He has always dreamed of coaching at the highest level and while I love college football more then the NFL we all know what the highest level is. The only people who received a pay raise last year after the Tampa Bay fiasco were his assistants and it sounds like he did not get a pay raise this time either.

He has always dreamed of coaching at the highest level and while I love college football more then the NFL we all know what the highest level is. The only people who received a pay raise last year after the Tampa Bay fiasco were his assistants and it sounds like he did not get a pay raise this time either.
I don't think it was for a pay raise necessarily. Maybe an ego stroke. Maybe to remind Oregon how valued he is. I don't know. But if he wanted to coach at the highest level this was a great opportunity. It is possible, I suppose, that he wasn't made an offer he liked.

I don't think it was for a pay raise necessarily. Maybe an ego stroke. Maybe to remind Oregon how valued he is. I don't know. But if he wanted to coach at the highest level this was a great opportunity. It is possible, I suppose, that he wasn't made an offer he liked.

He may have decided that winning at the highest level was more important than just coaching at the highest level and not liked what he saw in these opportunities.

Cleveland has gone through a whole string of coaches and GMs and continues to lose. The variable of changing the coach hasn't worked, the constant is the organization and ownership and Kelly could see what he has there.

Philly is a situation where the organization looks more willing to win but the team is falling apart. What is the QB situation? What's going to happen with key players like D. Jackson and others. A lot of the better players are in their declining years. It doesn't look like an likely place to come in and win right away.

I fail to see how either Philly or Cleveland were great opportunities, but maybe that's just my dumbass opinion. I suspect the reason he did not go is because he expects a certain amount of control and neither team was willing to budge.

I fail to see how either Philly or Cleveland were great opportunities, but maybe that's just my dumbass opinion. I suspect the reason he did not go is because he expects a certain amount of control and neither team was willing to budge.
Yeah, I can buy that.

Philly is a good job. The Eagles are in the NFL´s highest profile division in a top 4 TV market ... pressure there can be insane, but it´s a good job and the ownership will spend.

Ive always thought that Chip would not enjoy the NFL the same way he does the college level. At the college level he is THE GUY. Sure there are high profile players at U of O but they come and go every 4 years. In the NFL he probably wont even be the top 5 highest paid employees of whatever organization he is coaching for. It think he would struggle with this. He plays the media at Oregon and deflects the spot light every chance he gets but its really only a ploy. He has a huge ego and I think he would struggle with that at the pro level. This says nothing about how his current schemes will translate to the next level. On that topic I believe they can but that is not a certainty either...

Ive always thought that Chip would not enjoy the NFL the same way he does the college level. At the college level he is THE GUY. Sure there are high profile players at U of O but they come and go every 4 years. In the NFL he probably wont even be the top 5 highest paid employees of whatever organization he is coaching for. It think he would struggle with this. He plays the media at Oregon and deflects the spot light every chance he gets but its really only a ploy. He has a huge ego and I think he would struggle with that at the pro level. This says nothing about how his current schemes will translate to the next level. On that topic I believe they can but that is not a certainty either...

I do not believe how much Chip Kelly would be paid compared to the GM has anything to do with it. Chip Kelly is not a money guy otherwise he would have left last year for Tampa Bay who offered him a substantial pay raise. He is looking for a situation where he has a lot of personnel control and most GM's are not willing to give up that control. I think Chip's biggest issue will be getting a lot of the "Me" first NFL stars to buy into running practices and doing it his way when they are used to being babied.
Oh and Chip Kelly will adjust his system to whatever he believes will help him win so that will not be an issue at the NFL level.

I don't remember where I read it, but there was an article on Chip and booster dissent because Chip doesn't seem to care for any of the extra requirements placed on a college HC (glad handing, fund raising, big booster ass kissing, ...) and the boosters weren't happy about it. I absolutely got the impression that if there was a good fit in the NFL for him that he'd bolt to a situation where all he needed to worry about was coaching. Can't blame him for not jumping into Cleveland. Not sure if Philly is a much better situation or not though.

He'll be gone from Oregon soon enough, I just don't see him sticking with college.

He'll be gone from Oregon soon enough, I just don't see him sticking with college.

I am not so sure about that.

NFL teams seem to question his willingness to commit to the NFL job 100% and I can see future interest in him being low because of that. This is the second year in a row he´s blown off NFL teams. I can see interest waning.

NFL teams seem to question his willingness to commit to the NFL job 100% and I can see future interest in him being low because of that. This is the second year in a row he´s blown off NFL teams. I can see interest waning.

As long as he continues to win at the Collegiate level he will receive NFL job offers. There may not be a feeding frenzy for him like there was this year, but there will always be NFL teams who are firing coaches and looking for the next Jimmy Johnson. Chip is a football genius and he will have his chance to prove it at the NFL sooner or later.

Agree with you here and the fact that he has spent the last two years dancing but not willing to go home with one of the "girls" is going to be a problem. I think it may have been this year or none for him.

I still think Chip can explain his lack of willingness by saying that he's looking for the best fit. Tampa/Cleveland/Philly weren't. And there will be another franchise owner that wants the successful college coach, at least while Schiano and Harbaugh are winning and still driving that trend and as long as Chip is still winning big at Oregon.

If I had to bet at this point I´d say Shaw bolts for the NFL before Kelly does.

If I had to bet at this point I´d say Shaw bolts for the NFL before Kelly does.
You think? He really strikes me as a lifer at Stanford. Rumors (Wilner) were that his latest contract extension was a virtual lifetime contract. Not that contracts really mean much..

I am going to agree with you.... we are a few luck draft picks and rebuilding years away....

You think? He really strikes me as a lifer at Stanford. Rumors (Wilner) were that his latest contract extension was a virtual lifetime contract. Not that contracts really mean much..

Let the NFL wine and dine him and see what happens.

I am going to agree with you.... we are a few luck draft picks and rebuilding years away....

This is my point on Philly. They went all in on winning with the bunch they have right now. Spent a lot of money on veteran talent, FAs. Didn't work and now is falling apart.

If things break right NFL teams can turn around fairly quickly but this is going to be a big job to straighten out the Eagles. They may get worse before they get better as well, never a good situation for a coach.

Back