What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Retained with 7 wins, extended with 9?

This is why not firing him last year was such a mistake. The Admin is totally hamstrung - (1) fire him despite his record (as unlikely as it seems, can you fire a coach after a 9 or 10 win season? NU did.), or (2) extend him.

Neither is very appealing. Bottom line: he should have been canned last year. Colorado politics once again craps all over CU Football...
+1

The nightmare scenario of a "decent season" keeping our clown coach around for another season or three is unfolding before our eyes. Just get rid of him. He isn't a good coach.

The chancellor has said on more than one occasion that he expects an upper-tier bowl and competitive in every game, which I take to mean Alamo (which has the 5th choice - 4th if the Gator does not pick a B12 team) or better. 7 wins will not get a team to the Alamo. Hawk is already on a short leash with the debacle at Cal.

Based on my conversations with the Chancellor, Ringo is wrong. 7 wins = fired; 8 wins = toss-up; 9 wins = Hawk in 2011. If we get to 9 wins, the question is whether they give Hawk a short extension. If you keep him with only one year on his contract, he's not going to be able to recruit anyone (you think this year is bad?). If you keep him (after 9 wins), you have to give him a chance to succeed, and that means, IMO, a 2 year extension with a termination provision that is very favorable to CU.

I do feel a little better, thanks.

The nightmare scenario of a "decent season" keeping our clown coach around for another season or three is unfolding before our eyes. Just get rid of him. He isn't a good coach.

I m hoping a 6-6 season and a visit to the craptacular bowl isn't enough....honestly, although I am thrilled to see the Buffs at 3-1, I don't see it holding up versus the B12 and all those roadies....

We are getting WAY ahead of ourselves this is the classic DH hook we've fallen into about 5 times already. Beat a team NO ONE expects us to beat in thrilling fashion at home and then? turd central on the road. ALL of these discussions are premature until we see what happens at Mizzery this weekend. If any of you need be reminded their average margin of victory is something on the order of 50-9 over the past three years, with 2 of those being in Boulder where we are an above .500 team

Stop exaggerating. It's only 44.3 - 10.:huh:

Another thought occurs to me, maybe the Buffs go 8-4 or 9-3 and somebody hires Hawk away. Minnesota anyone? Just a thought, that would be a win-win for the Buffs.....don't see it happening but who knows?

I think this CU team could get on a roll - either in a positive fashion, or a negative fashion.

If - by some miracle - they were to beat Mizzou on the road, I could see them getting on a bit of a run, beating Baylor, beating Tech, playing OU a decent game, then beating KU on the road, beating ISU and KSU - and showing up at the Nebraska game with 9 wins in their pocket already.

If - as is more likely - they were to get thumped by Mizzou on the road, I could see them rolling over, getting beat by Baylor, getting beat by Tech, getting thumped by OU on the road, squeaking out a win over KU, before losing to ISU at home, who knows against KSU - and showing up at the Nebraska game with a head coach ready to be fired.
I agree with your post. This upcoming game is probably the most important game of Hawkins' career imo.

Another thought occurs to me, maybe the Buffs go 8-4 or 9-3 and somebody hires Hawk away. Minnesota anyone? Just a thought, that would be a win-win for the Buffs.....don't see it happening but who knows?

I can definitely see this happening. It's not as far fetched as some people make it out to be imo.

If U$C is dumb enought to hire Kiffin, and fUCLA is dumb enough to hire the weasel, then anything is possible.

we need to think about recruiting. there needs to be a clear direction by December if we are going to start to back-fill this senior class in the next two years.

First off. Someone find me a way to 9 wins on our schedule.

win the rest of the home games and beat MU & KU on the road-

Mizzou should have lost to SDSU at home 3 weeks ago.

Not saying it's going to happen but to me things just seem to be falling into place for Talkins.
UGA gift wraps the Buffs a win.... and now MU doesn't have their top defensive player & starting RB from last year-

First, there's no way we go into Pac 12 play with Hawk if he goes 6-6, no chance. Second, extensions have more to do with recruiting than job security. Buyouts are the job security, not years left on a deal. If Hawk agreed to reduce his buyout to $500k, I'd give him a 3 year extension today.

Bohn has a history with this. You'll recall that Barnett had an extension offer on the table when the Buffs were 7-2 in 2005. He apparently thought Bohn was low-balling him and didn't sign. The Buffs proceeded to **** the bed against ISU at home :wtf:, the corn, and Texas in the CCG and it was goodbye Gary.

Unfortunately, I agree that a college coach has to have some years on his contract to recruit, but I expect that any extension offered to Hawk next year will be one with a reasonable (certainly no more than the present $2 million) buyout.

we need to think about recruiting. there needs to be a clear direction by December if we are going to start to back-fill this senior class in the next two years.

There is a clear direction on recruiting by the staff...

Plan A: Start recruiting late and capitalize on a good bowl game.
Plan B: If above doesn't happen, we're fired anyway so f it.

Back