What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rewatched the OSU game

Bufffan68

Club Member
Club Member
I rewatched the OSU game. There were a half dozen key plays I saw, mostly lack of execution on our part, but also play calling and reffing. We're not good enough yet to overcome all these mistakes against good teams, so hopefully we'll tighten these things up.

* Lindgren's bull**** 4th and 1 call in the first quarter. Honestly dude...WTF is wrong with you?
* Sefo's unfathomable INT which he threw into quadruple coverage.
* Errant snap which Sefo saved from being a safety.
* 3 RBs had at least 4 dropped passes.
* Bull**** call on Crawley.
* Bull**** non-call against Spruce.

I'm sure there are other plays I missed, particularly on D, but I'm glad we are talking about winning games and not turning the game off at half time.

I still have yet to find somebody who can explain how, if both the receiver and defender have equal rights to the ball while in the air, the defender can be called for pass interference after he INTERCEPTED the ball. Crawley clearly had position on the receiver and made the play. I would love to hear the ref who made that call actually try to defend that call. Then I want to see him fired. But not just "let go". I want him fired in the most publicly humiliating way possible.

I still have yet to find somebody who can explain how, if both the receiver and defender have equal rights to the ball while in the air, the defender can be called for pass interference after he INTERCEPTED the ball. Crawley clearly had position on the receiver and made the play. I would love to hear the ref who made that call actually try to defend that call. Then I want to see him fired. But not just "let go". I want him fired in the most publicly humiliating way possible.

The claim was that Crawley pushed off, giving him the separation he needed. I can see why the ref would think that. Crawley had his arm in front of the receiver and the receiver pushed his shoulder causing Crawley to turn and his arm to extend. I am fine with the call. Whatever call it if you have to. However you cannot call that and then not call when spruce could not lift his right arm past his waist because a defender had tackled him from behind.

The claim was that Crawley pushed off, giving him the separation he needed. I can see why the ref would think that. Crawley had his arm in front of the receiver and the receiver pushed his shoulder causing Crawley to turn and his arm to extend. I am fine with the call. Whatever call it if you have to. However you cannot call that and then not call when spruce could not lift his right arm past his waist because a defender had tackled him from behind.

Dude come on. That was not pass interference in any definition of the rule.

Offenses have all the advantages right now the way penalties are called. The ncaa really needs to make some adjustments. Personally, I don't care for the 50 to 60 point games. I like those shut down defenses that have gone away in the last 4/5 years or so.

No but if they are going to call it that is fine, they just have to call it equally. That is what got me the most upset.
Why would you make the call if it isn't against the rules or if nothing happened? There's a reason that the ref with the best view didn't throw his flag but the ref across the field did. Outside of it being a terrible call it was day 1 ref mechanics that they showed they don't have. You don't throw a flag across the field. Ever.

Offenses have all the advantages right now the way penalties are called. The ncaa really needs to make some adjustments. Personally, I don't care for the 50 to 60 point games. I like those shut down defenses that have gone away in the last 4/5 years or so.

:stupid:

Why would you make the call if it isn't against the rules or if nothing happened? There's a reason that the ref with the best view didn't throw his flag but the ref across the field did. Outside of it being a terrible call it was day 1 ref mechanics that they showed they don't have. You don't throw a flag across the field. Ever.

They shouldn't have called it but they did. They proceeded with the call and did not wave it off. I got over that call. If that was how they were going to rule on PI then that was how they were going to handle it. What was upsetting was that it was so blatantly inconsistent.

How to call a fair game:

1. Call the same penalties for the same actions on both teams.
2. Call the same penalties for the same actions on both teams.
3. Call the same penalties for the same actions on both teams.
4. Call the same penalties for the same actions on both teams.
46. Call the same penalties for the same actions on both teams.
47. Do not call penalties for subjective actions when you do not have a clear view of what
occurred
47a. Especially when another ref had a better view
48. Call the same penalties for the same actions on both teams.
99. Call the same penalties for the same actions on both teams.
100. Call the penalties as they are described in the rule book.

S2S is right on this one.

My problem is these guys are reffing at the second highest level. Mistakes are going to happen, but they don't even have the basic fundamentals down, how can they be qualified and trusted to call penalties that are actually penalties? I won't accept the rationalization.

My problem is these guys are reffing at the second highest level. Mistakes are going to happen, but they don't even have the basic fundamentals down, how can they be qualified and trusted to call penalties that are actually penalties? I won't accept the rationalization.

Yes they screwed up with the first call. I am not saying they didn't. I am saying that by doing so they set the new operating conditions for the rest of the game. They then did not follow through with their own standards and cost us a first down and a shot at a victory.

Yes they screwed up with the first call. I am not saying they didn't. I am saying that by doing so they set the new operating conditions for the rest of the game. They then did not follow through with their own standards and cost us a first down and a shot at a victory.
I get what you're saying, and I agree that it needs to be consistent, but I don't believe these refs outside of the white hat could pass a officials test. I don't want to watch a game where there are a bunch of calls that are borderline at best penalties. I can't even count how many times the LJ missed the RT/TE holding Gilbert when they ran off the edge.

This may support your point, it may not, but look at Spruce's TD against CSU in the first game. Then look at Crawley's interception. Both were in almost the exact same spot when the ball was caught. They look remarkably similar. Yet, by the definition you're claiming the refs used in the OSU game, Spruce should have been flagged for offensive PI in that first game.

If both players have equal rights to the ball, then there's no way you can call pass interference on that play. Call this a rehash or tell me to get over it if you'd like. That call was atrocious. It's the kind of call that needs to get somebody fired. It's that egregious.

Last edited:
This may support your point, it may not, but look at Spruce's TD against CSU in the first game. Then look at Crawley's interception. Both were in almost the exact same spot when the ball was caught. They look remarkably similar. Yet, by the definition you're claiming the refs used in the OSU game, Spruce should have been flagged for offensive PI in that first game.

If both players have equal rights to the ball, then there's no way you can call pass interference on that play. Call this a rehash or tell me to get over it if you'd like. That call was atrocious. It's the kind of call that needs to get somebody fired. It's that aggregious.

I am not arguing it was a bad call, because it was. What ended up hurting us more than the INT though was the lack of consistency on PI. If they had been consistent we have a first down with 15yds to pay dirt.

did CU also get screwed on the 4th & 6 play ? thought I heard somewhere McCullough got manhandled and a defensive holding or PI should have been called
I'd love to see the play over or a pic of the infraction if true-

I re-watched the game as well. On the particular Crawley interception, I think the announcer said it best. The official saw Crawley's arm extended so therefore saw the separation and thought he had pushed off. My guess is that is the reasoning behind the call.

did CU also get screwed on the 4th & 6 play ? thought I heard somewhere McCullough got manhandled and a defensive holding or PI should have been called

From my perspective in the stands, staring straight down the line as McCullough was making his cut toward us, it appeared that the defender made contact (legal) but then held him and had an arm around him as he made his cut (illegal). I thought that Sefo was looking at him as his primary and the defender prevented the separation and Sefo elected to not throw it. On the DVR, it looks much more bang/bang and less obvious due to the overhead and appears that he was still able to get that separation he needed if Sefo would have set and made the throw but by then he was under duress and probably was off to his next read by then.

23c8036c-5892-4a57-ac3b-15c10818e32c_800.jpg

The greatest part about the PI call on Crawley, if you watch the replay the OSU receiver does almost a soccer dive move, where he throws his head back to draw attention from the ref as he and Crawley make contact.

If both players have equal rights to the ball, then there's no way you can call pass interference on that play. Call this a rehash or tell me to get over it if you'd like. That call was atrocious. It's the kind of call that needs to get somebody fired. It's that egregious.

We are all mad because a series of clearly wrong calls very much influenced our ability to win a game.

Two issues here.

One is that as tini points out this is the second highest level of officiating in the sport. These guys are paid very well for what they do and supposively a lot of resources are put into officiating these games.

Despite that the calls make were clearly wrong, the officials mechanics were wrong with distant officials making calls that a closer and in better position official didn't. Based on the actions of the official it is very hard to determine what the actual rule being called is because it is different on different plays.

I can understand an argument that officials are human, the game is fast, and mistakes will be made. If this game and these calls were the only ones then it would suck for us and we would be mad but we would have to suck it up and deal with it. That isn't the case.

We have seen now in two plus years in the PAC that officiating is a constant problem, not just for us but across the entire league. Other teams have lost or won games they shouldn't have based on officials errors. When you are charging tens of thousands of fans big ticket prices and when you are relying on millions of dollars in media revenues based on fair games determined by the players on the field this is unacceptable.

Officials have to be held accountable. If they can't consistently get it right they need to be replaced with officials who can. If the problem is systematic, and our time in the league leads me to believe this may be the case, then whoever is in charge needs to be held accountable as well.

I will take Sacky's statement about firing an official one step further. Not only should someone get fired but maybe we need to see a large enough turnover to effect change in how officiating is done in general in the league.

I rewatched the OSU game. There were a half dozen key plays I saw, mostly lack of execution on our part, but also play calling and reffing. We're not good enough yet to overcome all these mistakes against good teams, so hopefully we'll tighten these things up.

* Lindgren's bull**** 4th and 1 call in the first quarter. Honestly dude...WTF is wrong with you?
* Sefo's unfathomable INT which he threw into quadruple coverage.
* Errant snap which Sefo saved from being a safety.
* 3 RBs had at least 4 dropped passes.
* Bull**** call on Crawley.
* Bull**** non-call against Spruce.

I'm sure there are other plays I missed, particularly on D, but I'm glad we are talking about winning games and not turning the game off at half time.

Don't forget the 3rd & 1 on our first series where instead of a quick snap QB sneak we stood around let everyone make player changes only to run a slow moving run off tackle for no gain and a punt. Lindgren's play calling in short yardage is just horribly vanilla and utterly predictable.

we really need to learn to use the QB sneak on 3d/4th and 1 if it's there. Teams leave it wide open for us.

We have seen now in two plus years in the PAC that officiating is a constant problem, not just for us but across the entire league. Other teams have lost or won games they shouldn't have based on officials errors. When you are charging tens of thousands of fans big ticket prices and when you are relying on millions of dollars in media revenues based on fair games determined by the players on the field this is unacceptable.

Is the Pac12 officiating substantially worse than any other conference? I remember many complaints about BigXII officiating as well (at least one ISU game comes to mind).

I am fine with any scheme to improve officiating but I cringe at the "fire 'em all" stance. You can only fire people if you have a plan to replace them with better people. Suggesting that you can just go out and pluck new officials off the street and get something better than we have now is nuts.

we really need to learn to use the QB sneak on 3d/4th and 1 if it's there. Teams leave it wide open for us.

Need to resurrect Hagan's old QB sneak where he stands behind center, the OL doesn't even set into a 3-pt. stance but acts as if they will, then only he and the center moved forward on a silent count, for an easy yard or three.

Your walker and four tennis balls are on the way. Turn up your hearing aid so you hear the delivery guy ring the doorbell.

I re-watched the game as well. On the particular Crawley interception, I think the announcer said it best. The official saw Crawley's arm extended so therefore saw the separation and thought he had pushed off. My guess is that is the reasoning behind the call.

He should not guess what might of happened. What happened was the receiver misjudged the ball and slowed up. KC was in the right position to get it. And then was penalized because the ref 'thought something must of happened'. A bunch of crap. Then they go blind when on a game (potentially game winning) turning drive our guy is mugged before the ball gets there. Thats the ****. Not that they called one wrong, but they called two or three or more wrong, and against us (the home team).

Back