What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Riar Geer In Trouble

dio

Admin
Club Member
Junta Member
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8585962

A 21-year-old University of Colorado football player was arrested Friday night for allegedly assaulting two 19-year-old men at a party, police say.

Riar Geer was booked into the Boulder County Jail for investigation of second-degree assault and harassment, said Sarah Huntley, Boulder police spokeswoman.

A fight broke out outside a party at 18th and Cascade streets after 11:30 p.m. when Geer allegedly knocked a hat off someone's head.

Geer, a junior who is 6 feet 4 inches and weighs 250 pounds, and several other men argued and Geer allegedly punched Hunter Wright and Alexander Williams, both 19, who were bleeding from their mouths.

The suspect and his friends left the area, and friends of the victims' flagged down an officer
Riar Geer (Courtesy of CUBuffs.com)
for help.

About 15 minutes later, CU police found Geer at Regent Drive and Kittredge Loop Drive. Geer, who had cuts above his eyebrow and on his hand, was positively identified by the victims, police said.

Williams was taken to the hospital to be examined for injuries to his mouth and teeth. He was treated and released. Wright declined medical treatment.

In 2006 Geer became the first freshman to ever lead CU in receiving after catching 24 passes for 261 yards and three touchdowns.

Geer was named on the freshmen All-America teams for The Sporting News and Rivals.com, according to a CU roster profile.

A second CU player, Lynn Katoa, 18, turned himself in Friday in connection with the assault of another CU student in an off-campus apartment on Feb. 16.

Witnesses claimed Katoa came through a door of the apartment yelling. He allegedly pushed one victim's head into the wall and hit him in the forehead while holding a rock in his fist, Huntley said.

Katoa then allegedly punched a second victim in the head. The first victim was taken to the hospital and required stitches. The second victim declined to pursue charges.

Katoa, a Parade All-America linebacker fro Cottonwood High School in Salt Lake City, picked Colorado over Oklahoma in December after being visited by seven CU coaches.

He is 6 feet 2 inches and weighs 220 pounds.

Kirk Mitchell: 303-954-1206 or kmitch

Seems like this is about where a fan of another Big 12 team should jump in here and claim that Hawk has no control over the players.....:huh:

What is it about these kids and fights? Are they just reported more here or what? Are there CU kids that are gunning for Cu football players to try to knock the program down? I don't understand why someone with so much to lose in scholorships and possible NFL income would go out and get into these situations.:confused:

What is it about these kids and fights? Are they just reported more here or what? Are there CU kids that are gunning for Cu football players to try to knock the program down? I don't understand why someone with so much to lose in scholorships and possible NFL income would go out and get into these situations.:confused:

Egos.

Sad, but it is looking now that with the happenings of the last couple of days, Dan Hawkins' worth may be measured by how he handles these situations vice wins and losses. I am interested in what he does to 1) discipline transgressors, 2) put a stop to destructive behavior and perhaps the most important 3) reestablish the newly damaged good will he developed with the campus and community.

Seems like this is about where a fan of another Big 12 team should jump in here and claim that Hawk has no control over the players.....:huh:

It's immaturity and a lack of self control, along with stupidity. Hawkins has to have a serious meeting with the team and let them know the consequences of this kind of behavior. If Katoa had a rock in his hand, and he is found guilty of the charges against him - he should be kicked off the team. He is lucky he didn't kill somebody. It's time for Hawkins to do the right thing.

Last edited:
I do not, in any way want to defend either guy, but I'll guarantee you that if my 23 year old son had gotten in a fight with a football player and popped in the mouth, he would not of called the cops.

So, besides the fact that these kids, the football players, are making dumb assed decisions, there are a lot of kids up there that would love nothing more than to get them in trouble. All the more reason for them to learn self control.

Riar Geer has been around long enough to know better. I have been really looking forward to a worthy follow-up performance to his freshman season. Between last season's injuries and now the fighting, he's in the news for all the wrong reasons. Time to do the hokey pokey and turn himself around.

Honestly, I think part of it is that the DA (KKKeenan) doesn't prosecute those who start fights with football players. So other than potentially taking a beating, there's no downside for those douchebags who want to prove they're big boys by fighting with football players. The players, OTOH, get the book thrown at them not only by the DA, but also the school and by Hawk.

Bottom line, they're responsible for their own behavior, but I think KKKeenan might be emboldening those who want to take a shot at them. Or I could be full of it.

Bottom line, they're responsible for their own behavior, but I think KKKeenan might be emboldening those who want to take a shot at them. Or I could be full of it.

I will take option (c) - Both :cool:

I think there is something to be said for that idea. Plus, KKKeenan has definitely, with some help from ex-Gov. Woody, the sensationalist garbage media types and a few spineless administrators no longer part of CU, created an atmosphere in which many of the students must see the players as some kind of pampered monsters who deserve and need to be taught a lesson. Create an atmosphere of hostility and fear, drop in a few 18-22 year old males to be on the receiving end of it, then act surprised when the guys end up getting in to some altercations. Yep, makes perfect sense to me... :huh:

Of course, there is more to it than that. But I think it makes sense to think that is part of what is going on... :huh:

I only read what is quoted in this listing, but Geer's incident sure sounds pretty mild. Sounds like both parties took their licks and it should have ended there. Not defending the actions of anyone, but this just doesn't sound like the type of thing you go flag cops down to settle. Sounds like it had already been done and frankly, according to this report, there was not much damage.

These types of fights are just plain stupid on all counts. I don't have all the details and won't claim to since I was not there, but I broke many of these types of situations up when I was in college and nobody ran wimpering to the freakin' cops.

Is it that these kids really do have it out for these players? I hope to hear that the other participants receive their due as well as Geer.

Apparently bad things "do" happen before midnight. What the hell is going on?! To be honest i wasn't that suprised about Katoa (just pissed). But Geer should know better. Hawk's got quite a bit on his plate right now. I hope he can handle it well.

I only read what is quoted in this listing, but Geer's incident sure sounds pretty mild. Sounds like both parties took their licks and it should have ended there. Not defending the actions of anyone, but this just doesn't sound like the type of thing you go flag cops down to settle. Sounds like it had already been done and frankly, according to this report, there was not much damage.

These types of fights are just plain stupid on all counts. I don't have all the details and won't claim to since I was not there, but I broke many of these types of situations up when I was in college and nobody ran wimpering to the freakin' cops.

Is it that these kids really do have it out for these players? I hope to hear that the other participants receive their due as well as Geer.

What jumped out to me in the story about Geer was that it says Geer knocked a kids hat off (must have been a fusker hat... :cool:), and that after words were exchanged Geer punched a kid. It also says that Geer had some cuts and bruises, so he was obviously punched as well. What is missing from the story that I would find very interesting is who threw the first punch....

Don't worry, they won't. The guy who started the fight that Sipili ended not only got off scot free, Sip had to pay his medical bills. The guys Katoa and Geer beat up will probably get a parade on campus, no matter their level of involvement or instigation.

125 guys on the team... it is a microcosm of society in general. the important thing is how the matters are dealt with, not the fact that they occurred. 2 incidents coming at basically the same time is just a bad bit of luck. we are still below the average during the gb era, i think. as long as hawkins deals with it, after a fair investigation, in the right way, i am not going to worry about it. these guys, for better or worse, are held to a higher standard and they need to be more careful than this, even if they weren't the instigators.

this isn't fuskerland--- CU will deal out appropriate levels of punishment and we will move on. the team needs to get the message.

i have a feeling the team is policing themselves right now...at least i hope that is the case...

these incidents occuring at the same time are bad. no doubt about it. futures are in jeopardy because of them.

how we do next year on the field is secondary to how this will affect the lives of several of our student athletes, in my opinion.

opinions and conjecture do more harm than good in this type of case. we have learned that over the last decade. it is time to be wary of the media, and wait until the facts are known before formulating opinions about each of these cases.

i will trust hawk, his coaching staff, and the administration to review the facts and deal with the situation in the most appropriate way for the university.

and i will reserve my opinions until i know what the real facts are.

in that article about mike bohn and the football team, it said that geer was attacked first. If he was just defending himself because he was being ganged up on, is it still seirous? what is he supposed to do? get a beating? id punch a couple bitches too if i was huge and powerful like a NCAA Division I TE.

in that article about mike bohn and the football team, it said that geer was attacked first. If he was just defending himself because he was being ganged up on, is it still seirous? what is he supposed to do? get a beating? id punch a couple bitches too if i was huge and powerful like a NCAA Division I TE.

I caught the tail end of an interview with one of the kids involved in the fight. He claimed that he and his buddy were minding their own business when Geer just went off one them for no reason.

Who the hell knows? I hope the cops do a good job figuring it out. I do not believe any story I hear at this point.

I caught the tail end of an interview with one of the kids involved in the fight. He claimed that he and his buddy were minding their own business when Geer just went off one them for no reason.

Who the hell knows? I hope the cops do a good job figuring it out. I do not believe any story I hear at this point.

:lol: Yeah, I'm sure if the kids had anything to do with instigating the fight, they would have no reason at all to lie about it, considering the fact that somebody is facing charges right now because he is the supposed instigator.... :lol:

And the Boulder cops doing a good job figuring out the truth, when they've already got a CU football player to charge?? :lol::lol::lol:

I guess I am with 92Buff here and I don't see why this is as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be.

I guess I am with 92Buff here and I don't see why this is as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be.

I think if it hadn't come on the heels of the Katoa thing, it wouldn't be getting near the attention it is. Plus, initial stories made it sound much worse than later accounts are sounding.... :huh:

Posted by Saheeb on March 16, 2008 at 3:47 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Can't Hawkins assign a back up or third string player to go everywhere with starters and if a fight erupts it's the role of the back up to fight and make the starter run? I think that would be a fine policy.

this was a damn fine suggestion by a daily camera reader!:wink2::lol::lol::lol:

i like it...I like it a lot!

Posted by Saheeb on March 16, 2008 at 3:47 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Can't Hawkins assign a back up or third string player to go everywhere with starters and if a fight erupts it's the role of the back up to fight and make the starter run? I think that would be a fine policy.

this was a damn fine suggestion by a daily camera reader!:wink2::lol::lol::lol:

i like it...I like it a lot!

That's funny as hell. Quality post!

Back