What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George for AD?

Rick George for AD

• Gotta be our #1 option

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Maybe but I'd like to see other candidates first

Votes: 27 50.0%
  • No, don't think he is the right one for the role

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
Bohn wasn't good at football or fundraising. Sure he had record numbers in donations, but we needed $50mil and he wasn't even close. He was good at the business side by keeping us in the black. However, due to his inept football hires we had to continually buy out coaches and owe millions now

Inept football HIRE. Hawkins goes on his record. Embree, by all accounts, does not. All he did with Embree was end that debacle at the first opportunity, probably in part because he never wanted him in the first place.

Inept football HIRE. Hawkins goes on his record. Embree, by all accounts, does not. All he did with Embree was end that debacle at the first opportunity, probably in part because he never wanted him in the first place.

FAIL. If you own a business do you allow someone else to dictate your hires? NO. Only a spineless/weak leader allows that, which is exactly why he is gone

FAIL. If you own a business do you allow someone else to dictate your hires? NO. Only a spineless/weak leader allows that, which is exactly why he is gone

Ah, so you're in the "disagree with your boss, you should quit your job" school?

Maybe once you've had a job you'll understand that the world doesn't work that way.

Ah, so you're in the "disagree with your boss, you should quit your job" school?

Maybe once you've had a job you'll understand that the world doesn't work that way.

I've worked full-time/school my entire adult life. Bohn didn't have a gun to his head forcing him to hire Embree. In the end the final say came down to him, and the fact that he still chose to sign off on hiring Embree is laughable

I've worked full-time/school my entire adult life. Bohn didn't have a gun to his head forcing him to hire Embree. In the end the final say came down to him, and the fact that he still chose to sign off on hiring Embree is laughable

Are you saying that Bohn wanted Embree, or just that he chose not to quit his job (career, actually) when the higher ups made a different choice?

Are you saying that Bohn wanted Embree, or just that he chose not to quit his job (career, actually) when the higher ups made a different choice?

What higher ups? DiStefano/Benson? I really doubt they forced anyone to hire Embree.

None of these things immediately jump out at me as being better than Mike Bohn was. Admittedly, I'm of the opinion that there are a very small number of people who would be. The AD at Alabama isn't in the conversation at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

After seeing what Larry Scott has accomplished so far, I am much more open to this sort of hire - someone who may not have experience in the exact same job, but is smart, knows sports, has led large organizations and can fundraise, understands business and what it takes to be successful, can inspire supporters and staff, and has been highly successful in multiple ventures. I'd be ok with George, but as someone else mentioned, the fact that his name is the first to float means he almost certainly won't be the guy.

After seeing what Larry Scott has accomplished so far, I am much more open to this sort of hire - someone who may not have experience in the exact same job, but is smart, knows sports, has led large organizations and can fundraise, understands business and what it takes to be successful, can inspire supporters and staff, and has been highly successful in multiple ventures. I'd be ok with George, but as someone else mentioned, the fact that his name is the first to float means he almost certainly won't be the guy.

I see what you're saying and I don't disagree. However, I should caution you that just because Larry Scott turned out OK, that's not a guarantee that George will. Remember how every school was hiring NFL washouts after USC won a MnC with Pete Carroll?

At this point, it doesn't really matter. If its George, I hope he is able to lead CU athletics to the next level.

I see what you're saying and I don't disagree. However, I should caution you that just because Larry Scott turned out OK, that's not a guarantee that George will. Remember how every school was hiring NFL washouts after USC won a MnC with Pete Carroll?

At this point, it doesn't really matter. If its George, I hope he is able to lead CU athletics to the next level.

It's definitely a risk, but every big hire like this has an element of risk. I should clarify that I'm not necessarily in favor of George just because Scott was successful, just that it makes me more open to going a little outside the box to find someone who has the skills we need, if not necessarily the resume you would expect.

:lol:

He had high donation numbers, but I'm sure numbers increased nearly everywhere in the nation. The fact that our facilities project seemed like Solich or nothing is telling. It appears that Bohn couldn't convince the million dollar donors, which is absolutely essential when trying to raise $50mil

There have been plenty of reports that would cause me to doubt your doubts.

Seriously? Isn't the consensus that Benson/DiStefano couldn't give two sh!ts about football until the last 6 months? I highly, highly doubt they would have forced Bohn to hire Embree. The only pressure Bohn received to hire a former Buff was by a couple vocal former Buffs and some fans on CU message boards. Cabral winning those two games is a nightmare now. That convinced many that a former Buff could lead us to victory. Ooops

SIAP

Decent interview with Mr. George. Only 6 minutes long. LINK
I like that he doesn't hide the fact that he needs to focus on helping the football team because it pays the bills. I also think he (along with HCMM and hopefully an improved product on the field) are going to get Folsom packed on a regular basis.

Back