What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George post-season letter to football fans

When I read my e-mail from RG, my 1st thought was how many AD's would send out e-mails to season ticket holders apologizing for not living up to there own expectations? With that said, RG has my full respect & I hope he sticks around for a long time.

It's clear in the letter that RG puts the customer first.

I was never a fan of the old underlying narrative that seemed to blame CU fans for holding the program back.

A couple things are clear to me regarding Rick George.

First, the guy's a competitor. He is not going to accept failure from himself or those around him.

Second, RG is a straight shooter. If something is inadequate, he's going to man up and admit that it's a problem that needs to get fixed.

After years of hearing so much political speak out of CU that vacillated from spin doctoring to conflict avoidance to pissing on our legs while telling us it was raining... I'm so glad for where we are now under RG's leadership.
:stupid:

It's been said before, but man, this guy just gets it.
Yup. My only concern is this line in the letter "Coach MacIntyre and his staff will continue to work on getting this football team better".

No mention of his involvement in the process. I'd like RG to be involved in the coaching staff decisions with MM because I don't know if MM will make the tough choices.

Yup. My only concern is this line in the letter "Coach MacIntyre and his staff will continue to work on getting this football team better".

No mention of his involvement in the process. I'd like RG to be involved in the coaching staff decisions with MM because I don't know if MM will make the tough choices.

We do not need a micro manager in the AD. He will advise HCMM but he does not need to be involved in the process. at all.

It's clear in the letter that RG puts the customer first.

I was never a fan of the old underlying narrative that seemed to blame CU fans for holding the program back.

I think there are people who remain within the athletic department who still hold this view. One, in particular. A heavy set fellow. Balding. Has difficulty counting past 200.

You're a micromanaging advocate?

We do not need a micro manager in the AD. He will advise HCMM but he does not need to be involved in the process. at all.
:stupid: They'll sit down and look at what went right and what went wrong. Mac will probably have to do evaluations of his coaches. But the last thing you want is for RG to dictate or even suggest to Mac how he handles his staff.

You're a micromanaging advocate?
In general no. I'm just concerned Mac won't make ANY staffing changes, despite the fact the D got worse. Letting Mac make all the changes and our record next year will tell me if he can make the tough choices.

A couple things are clear to me regarding Rick George.

First, the guy's a competitor. He is not going to accept failure from himself or those around him.

Second, RG is a straight shooter. If something is inadequate, he's going to man up and admit that it's a problem that needs to get fixed.

After years of hearing so much political speak out of CU that vacillated from spin doctoring to conflict avoidance to pissing on our legs while telling us it was raining... I'm so glad for where we are now under RG's leadership.

He sits very near us for WBB games. If you didn't know who he was you'd think he's just another really rabid fan .... yelling at the refs for bad calls, for not calling the game the same at both ends of the court; shouting encouragement to a player, etc. He is really into supporting the teams.

Completely agree. It is MM job to improve the fb team's performance and make decisions about the program. RG does his job which is oversee the entire department. Like any coach, HCMM will either keep his job based on his decisions and results or he will not. RG needs to let HCMM make his bed and sleep in it then decide if it is going the direction and getting results he is happy with. RG has other issues that need his time and running the football program is HCMM job.

RG didn't say "MM and his current staff..." I don't think what he said implies, one way or the other, whether there will be changes or not. Just that MM will have a staff and whoever they are, as a group they'll try to improve the football team. Don't even know why I'm here though, it's basketball season. See ya!

RG didn't say "MM and his current staff..." I don't think what he said implies, one way or the other, whether there will be changes or not. Just that MM will have a staff and whoever they are, as a group they'll try to improve the football team. Don't even know why I'm here though, it's basketball season. See ya!

He didn't?

However, there are areas in which we did not make the progress we had hoped for this season. Obviously our team performance in terms of wins and losses is not where we wanted or planned for it to be. I think we can agree that there has been improvement, unfortunately that improvement was not sufficient enough to get more wins. Coach MacIntyre and his staff will continue to work on getting this football team better so that next season we are talking about how the team has improved and how that is translating into winning.

I like how people still don't understand that an AD cannot afford to be hands off with the football program.

Wasn't freaking Oregon State demanding staff changes? But no, let's not do that because it would be sooo mean to MM

He didn't?

No, he didn't. He said, "Coach MacIntyre and his staff," which is only specifically mentioning HCMM. If he fires current and hires new, it will still be "his staff" who is trying to improve the team. What RG said does not mean there won't be changes, so no one needs to be concerned yet.

No, he didn't. He said, "Coach MacIntyre and his staff," which is only specifically mentioning HCMM. If he fires current and hires new, it will still be "his staff" who is trying to improve the team. What RG said does not mean there won't be changes, so no one needs to be concerned yet.

He must have stuck his staff in your mouth because your blowing awfully hard. :devil2:

Wasn't freaking Oregon State demanding staff changes? But no, let's not do that because it would be sooo mean to MM

I've seen a lot of this going around. The notion to make changes to HCMM's staff? Why? Because they went 2-10? What position coaches need to replaced? So many people demanding staff changes, yet I haven't seen one suggestion as to who, why, and who should be the successors. Sounds like a lot of "we need to make changes because somebody has to pay for the lack of wins". DUMB

I've seen a lot of this going around. The notion to make changes to HCMM's staff? Why? Because they went 2-10? What position coaches need to replaced? So many people demanding staff changes, yet I haven't seen one suggestion as to who, why, and who should be the successors. Sounds like a lot of "we need to make changes because somebody has to pay for the lack of wins". DUMB

It has actually been pretty consistent.

Neinas needs to go. ST underperformed this year across the board. We cannot afford to have a designated ST coach if ST sucks. It just doesn't make sense. The other names I have seen are Baer and/or Jeffcoat. Mostly because of their lack of success in recruiting. The D regressed in quite a few statistical categories this year so there is some reasoning there.

ignorance of what has been said makes you look real bad here.

It is unusual for staff to remain unchanged from year to year. CU already had that continuity from 2013 to 2014, making us an outlier. So some of this is a basic expectation that there will be some level of change to a college football coaching staff.

Beyond that, there is a reasonable assumption that every assistant on the CU staff isn't the very best at his position in college football. Therefore, upgrades to the staff are possible and desirable. Also desirable because a little shakeup is good for organizations, just as a general continuity is good. There is a balance to be found there.

Finally, there are certain spots where the performance of a coach's unit hasn't been anything special or shown progress over 2 years - and - the coach also isn't showing himself to be a great recruiter. When we see that, we react by saying that CU can do better and that fans should expect/demand better.

Well, he sort of got this part right. I don't have any suggestions, but I'd expect 2-3 changes and if anyone knows realistic assistants successors it would be interesting to read. All I've seen is unspecific references to NU's or Oregon State's staff since the head coach changes. Is anyone on either of those staffs (or what the heck, throw in Florida too) likely to be looking and would be good fit for CU? Michigan is another possible staff to poach.

Seriously?

Well, he sort of got this part right. I don't have any suggestions, but I'd expect 2-3 changes and if anyone knows realistic assistants successors it would be interesting to read. All I've seen is unspecific references to NU's or Oregon State's staff since the head coach changes. Is anyone on either of those staffs (or what the heck, throw in Florida too) likely to be looking and would be good fit for CU? Michigan is another possible staff to poach.

Duff and Nik have both presented numerous potential candidates in several threads.

Duff and Nik have both presented numerous potential candidates in several threads.

Were those threads in barzil? Maybe that is why he didn't see them.
[MENTION=10326]Undefeated[/MENTION], there is a lot of recruiting and coaching change discussion going on in the pay part of the site. If you are interested in being a full member, you would have access to those discussions.

Last edited:
Were those threads in barzil? Maybe that is why he didn't see them.

Thats a possibility. I can't recall exactly where I saw them, but I remember seeing them. It's not like we've been sitting around bitching about making staff changes without suggesting who should be shown the door, why they should leave, and who would do a better job.

I agree, I think cu's DC and special teams coach are doing a fantastic job. CU has a trend of keeping the same staff year after year. So getting the same bad results, logic tells you to change the bad on your staff. DUMB? No that's staying status quo and expecting different results.

Back