What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George Update 12-29-15

Syllabuses are not contracts. Nothing is signed or stated as guarantee. It is nothing more than an outline of the course requirements, expectations and schedule of events.

you outline how the grade is determined. the students deserve to have that honored by the university.

onealcd: the university uses online software for a lot of courses/exams. many classes had online finals which happened on tuesday. objecting to that is just back pedaling. there are entire classes conducted online through Continuing Ed.

you outline how the grade is determined. the students deserve to have that honored by the university.

onealcd: the university uses online software for a lot of courses/exams. many classes had online finals which happened on tuesday. objecting to that is just back pedaling. there are entire classes conducted online through Continuing Ed.

Most classes do not and this has nothing to do with the continuing education side this is the colorado-boulder side. If you have a final that is 40% of your grade and then that suddenly becomes a take home test where everyone cheats on and gets a high grade and then the biggest part of your grade was something that wasn't planned it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Most of the people who were mad about finals being cancelled (only one day so not all of them) are the ones struggling all semester anyways who would have probably done poorly on the final and it would have had no change to their grade. Complaining for a very very small percentage of people ignored all of the others.

you are having a hard time understanding.

software exists for online exams. used all the time whether you want to admit it or not. i don't even know what you are talking about with take home exam and cheating.

doesn't matter whether students who are struggling or not showing up or whatever, they deserve to meet the criteria set out. for better or worse.

i taught at CU for almost 10 years and DU for a year.....many students are liars and cheaters.....true....but this isn't about that. the University has an obligation to give degrees based on work to make the degree mean something. in this case, they took the easy way out and were ill prepared for a situation for which they should have been prepared.

I think that's just crazy that CU would cancel finals like that. If you are an upper classman in the business school at CU, your entire grade basically consists of 2 mid term exams & a final exam. So they basically cancelled a third of the entire semester, if they cancel final exams. My senior year, I had a major injury and couldn't take the 2nd midterm for my accounting class. The professor told me that as a result, my final exam would count for 66% of my grade.

If finals had been cancelled that semester, I would have been livid, considering my entire grade for the class would have been based on one exam near the beginning of the semester.

I thought our administration was supposed to be getting smarter

you are having a hard time understanding.

software exists for online exams. used all the time whether you want to admit it or not. i don't even know what you are talking about with take home exam and cheating.

doesn't matter whether students who are struggling or not showing up or whatever, they deserve to meet the criteria set out. for better or worse.

i taught at CU for almost 10 years and DU for a year.....many students are liars and cheaters.....true....but this isn't about that. the University has an obligation to give degrees based on work to make the degree mean something. in this case, they took the easy way out and were ill prepared for a situation for which they should have been prepared.

I'm not having trouble understanding anything. Any test not taken at the school with more than likely result in cheating and students working together so no teacher in their right mind is going to let something like that count for such a large chunk of a students grade. Continuing education is different than cu Boulder, hours taken online through CE don't even count towards full time credit hours at cu Boulder.

Start the semester three days earlier. Block out the last three days of the semester for finals rescheduled due to weather. BOOM! Problem solved. Can I be chancellor?

it's not unthinkable to reschedule a final when school resumes in January. it's also not unthinkable in today's digital utopia to make an exam available after the fact online. obviously it's tremendous problem....all of which could be solved if CU had a policy in place...but they didn't. that's what i expect.

CU takes in more out of state tuition that almost any school in the US....but they are always complaining about not having money. lot of that disappears into an ineffective, bloated administrative structure full of people driving Saabs and taking friday ski days. just saying.
So just what separates CU from most other academic institutions? Admin bloat is unfortunately very common and a huge reason for sky-high tuitions in all of higher ed!

So just what separates CU from most other academic institutions? Admin bloat is unfortunately very common and a huge reason for sky-high tuitions in all of higher ed!
Not all the growth in admin costs are bloat. In fact, a lot (and maybe most) of them are not. The Dept of Ed has raised all sorts of reporting requirements over the past 30 years. Who collects that information (that was never collected before), compiles it, creates the report, files the report, and then answers questions about it? Yep - administrators. Sorry about that.

IT services are also a huge, and new cost of administration. 35 years ago the typical campus computer network probably consisted of a few dozen computers and a few dozen more terminals. Fast forward to today, and the computer network is wireless and capable of attaching 2-3 devices per person on campus (students, professors, admin people, visitors). Yeah, that's a bit more expensive.

Classroom services is another one. 35 years ago you could hire a high school drop out that knew how to change a bulb in a transparency or slide projector and run a film projector. Today you need someone who can troubleshoot attaching video and audio from an iOS, Android, Windows or Linux laptop, tablet, or phone to the classroom A/V system - odds are that support person is going to cost more than someone who knows how to change a light bulb.

Not all admin costs are bloat...

So is the state only funding 5% of CU Boulders budget.

The average tuition increase has been ~ 3%

Not all the growth in admin costs are bloat. In fact, a lot (and maybe most) of them are not. The Dept of Ed has raised all sorts of reporting requirements over the past 30 years. Who collects that information (that was never collected before), compiles it, creates the report, files the report, and then answers questions about it? Yep - administrators. Sorry about that.

IT services are also a huge, and new cost of administration. 35 years ago the typical campus computer network probably consisted of a few dozen computers and a few dozen more terminals. Fast forward to today, and the computer network is wireless and capable of attaching 2-3 devices per person on campus (students, professors, admin people, visitors). Yeah, that's a bit more expensive.

Classroom services is another one. 35 years ago you could hire a high school drop out that knew how to change a bulb in a transparency or slide projector and run a film projector. Today you need someone who can troubleshoot attaching video and audio from an iOS, Android, Windows or Linux laptop, tablet, or phone to the classroom A/V system - odds are that support person is going to cost more than someone who knows how to change a light bulb.

Not all admin costs are bloat...
Yeah. You should see my cell phone, Internet, and television (satellite) bills. I didn't have these bills in 1985.

Yeah. You should see my cell phone, Internet, and television (satellite) bills. I didn't have these bills in 1985.

Not to mention how much you paid to get the cupholder in your desktop fixed.

Back