What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George's Gameday Improvements

Yeah. The stadium didn't clear out as much as it looked like it did on tv or from the stands. The club rooms & beer gardens were packed.

I believe that the IPF is supposed to be used as a Beer Garden and sponsored tailgate area next year.

It is and the tuchdown and champions clubs will serve beer as well. They really need place for the gen-pop to drink on the east side.

I actually think the beer garden is a better option than selling it in the stands. Not because of safety concerns (that's the bad excuse that was the origin of the beer ban in the first place), but because it ads a different feel to the atmosphere. With the IPF and the party deck, there will be plenty of spots to enjoy a beer next year.

And yeah, RG gets it.

CU should do what the Rockies do with the party deck. Sell beer throughout the stadium, but make is 10% - 20% less expensive in the beer garden. The beer garden is a great concept, however, as a first go, there are some big issues that need to be fixed as the game day staff gains more experience.

CU should do what the Rockies do with the party deck. Sell beer throughout the stadium, but make is 10% - 20% less expensive in the beer garden. The beer garden is a great concept, however, as a first go, there are some big issues that need to be fixed as the game day staff gains more experience.

I would be surprised if beer is ever available in the stadium as a whole again. The beer gardens are basically the best compromise with keeping the underage kids away from the alcohol.

I would be surprised if beer is ever available in the stadium as a whole again. The beer gardens are basically the best compromise with keeping the underage kids away from the alcohol.

The underage kids aren't a big issue with beer in the stadium. Issue wrist bands and eject those who are drinking without them. Even in the 80s and 90s, the underage weren't a big issue.

The underage kids aren't a big issue with beer in the stadium. Issue wrist bands and eject those who are drinking without them. Even in the 80s and 90s, the underage weren't a big issue.

Underage me from the 90's agrees with you - not a big issue at all <burp>

Underage me from the 90's agrees with you - not a big issue at all <burp>

Not saying they didn't drink, but the problem was the middle aged idots that stockpiled 4-6 beers in the third quarter to insure their buzz/drunk didn't falter in the 4th quarter. I saw more sloppy 40 year olds than students.

Not sure RG had anything to do with this, but where we were tailgating the cops were very friendly. We were blocking an empty spot, they came and asked to move over some so a car could get in there and then joked with us about playing beer pong. Big upgrade over some of the stuff I saw last year

Not sure RG had anything to do with this, but where we were tailgating the cops were very friendly. We were blocking an empty spot, they came and asked to move over some so a car could get in there and then joked with us about playing beer pong. Big upgrade over some of the stuff I saw last year

I didn't tailgate, but did comment to my friend that everyone from the gate personnel to the police thanked us for being there. Huge change.

The gameday experience from start to finish was different at least to me. Felt like the admin was genuinely interested in allowing people to enjoy their time on campus. IF that is a sign of things to come this year, the football culture at CU will definitely begin to revitalize itself. At least among the fan base.

He did have something to do with it. Police engagement with tailgaters was raised as a concern in the AD.

The ad was cracking down on Argus as well after they tried to go on their power trips, was good to see

The ad was cracking down on Argus as well after they tried to go on their power trips, was good to see

I had a pretty negative encounter with the police and Argus right when I arrived but they seemed fine after that.

It did seem like there was twice as many as previous games. I'm guessing because of the beer.

I had a pretty negative encounter with the police and Argus right when I arrived but they seemed fine after that.

It did seem like there was twice as many as previous games. I'm guessing because of the beer.
It was really only one lady but she would not let this topic go despite her boss telling her to chill. Police seemed fine, but I wasn't tailgating or anything

I didn't tailgate, but did comment to my friend that everyone from the gate personnel to the police thanked us for being there. Huge change.

Had a great experience with the Argus guy when I went out to Franklin to grab a beer at halftime. Very affable guy, when coming back in said something along the lines of "don't want to be in the way of you having a good time, as long as you've got your ticket come on in." It was great.

These two guys crossed Regent at Colorado when the Argus lady told them not to and the cop yelled at them and then told us all we had to wait 2 cycles before he would allow us to go. Like it was a punishment for us that didn't do anything. About 20 fans waiting to cross just made fun the the cop the whole time and he wouldn't let us cross so we all waited until he started to let cars go and then we all crossed together. Someone shouted "remember Ferguson." I was proud of my fellow buff fans.

These two guys crossed Regent at Colorado when the Argus lady told them not to and the cop yelled at them and then told us all we had to wait 2 cycles before he would allow us to go. Like it was a punishment for us that didn't do anything. About 20 fans waiting to cross just made fun the the cop the whole time and he wouldn't let us cross so we all waited until he started to let cars go and then we all crossed together. Someone shouted "remember Ferguson." I was proud of my fellow buff fans.
I would have shot ya.

Gameday impressions:

I hadn't gotten a chance to post these yet but here goes:

Early Tailgate: I was in an off-campus lot across the street - but if nothing else it increased buzz prior to the game. Ultimately that one effects a low percentage of fans, but it was something I had pushed for for years and was glad to see happen.

Entry/Exit (Argus Staff): Huge positive. Knowing that the north side access was going to be restricted we headed in a few minutes earlier. As others have said staff was polite, and were actually directing folks to short lines to get everyone in smoothly. This went from a negative to a positive.

Beer Garden - I sit in the club so I didn't actually go to the beer gardens, but I thought the big screen outside the stadium was a great idea. Shows that they are thinking of the whole experience, not just corralling a bunch of boozers.

Video boards - what a disaster. Two years into the upgrade and the main scoreboard was failing and rebooted multiple times? I hope CU purchased a premium support contract as well. That needed to be tested, expected and fixed before a real game.

Food - Unlike many I thought this was a disappointment. Again this is asterisked as specific to the Club Level. The club has always offered a choice of two base concession stands with the usual nachos, dogs, candy and sodas, and then had two premium vendors, a burrito and a sandwich option usually. For ASU they had the same physical layout, but the concession stand and premium stands were both selling (the same?) barbecue sandwiches. Ultimately when I went downstairs I got another BBQ option from the Moe's truck instead. (Which was very good). I thought the base concessions were more limited than previously, no candy, no soda size options, drinks were limited to soda or water; Gatorade or some equivalent would have been nice. Staff at the stands were maybe suffering from a first run learning curve, it didn't seem smooth at all.
Finally the hardest knock on the concessions was that the beers shrank and the prices remained the same. I get that this is a trend at grocery stores and across all industries, but it sucks to get the feeling you are being nickle and dime'd in premium seats.
It is fair to note that I did not make a full walk around the stadium, and it sounds like there were some other options over close to the beer garden - so I will hopefully see the variety increase on my part and as the week to week fare changes. I know this move was welcome from a contract revenue position with the University I really hope it works out.

Overall I would say it was a very positive gameday experience - 7.5 or so with a 1-1.5 hit for the video board.

What if CU gave away 10 or 20 trips to Hawaii (for 2), as an attendance draw? Spread them out: 1 winner from sections 110 and 111, 1 winner from 207, 208, 209, etc. Maybe a little late for that

I tried the BBQ (pulled pork) outside Balch and it was pretty good. Overall, the food options seemed more limited but maybe they just had it more spread out at various spots? They only had pop in bottles, which was OK with me since they let you keep the cap (at Sports Authority they take the caps). Easier not to spill. I am all for the beer gardens but it created quite a jam on the concourse. I park at East campus and take the shuttle which I have found to be quick and easy.

We had an Argus guy hanging out near sackygate. When we showed up, he simply said we could set up anywhere between the street and the wall. That gave us about 30 feet of linear space. Way more than we needed. All was very cool. We seem to have landed in a very, very good spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had an Argus guy hanging out near sackygate. When we showed up, he simply said we could set up anywhere between the street and the wall. That gave us about 30 feet of linear space. Way more than we needed. All was very cool. We seem to have landed in a very, very good spot.

$10 donation to AD #buyrickgeorgeabeer, #happyfarrandtailgater

Yeah, that was a choice tailgating spot. And two ambulances on either side just in case someone hasn't had enough to drink.

Not only is the spot perfect, but the cosmetic improvements they have made to the area are top shelf. It's freaking awesome.

Oh, and while not the infamous bike racks that caused us so much distress, they DID move all those bike racks between Baker and Libby Hall. Now there's a huge, wide walkway that leads directly from our tailgate spot to the stadium.

And one other thing that they have done that is great. In previous years, they always had some dude blocking the exit road just East of Libby Hall after the games. What that was all about, nobody could ever say. All they would say is "you can't exit here". It got to the point where I would drive up, let them tell me that, and I'd say "fine, I'll wait until you leave". I'm pleased to report that there is no longer a guy standing there, telling people they can't use that exit. It was ridiculous to begin with, and it would appear that they've finally come to the same conclusion.

I have to say, I'm extremely pleased. Although a loss, I really, really enjoyed the game on Saturday. It was terrific from the time we got on campus to the time we left. If we ever get to the point where the football team is winning again, this is going to be all kinds of incredible.

:thumbsup:

Pretty sure the entire selection consisted of "Colorado" beer.
Coors products suck. Fat Tire tastes like crap once you've drank other microbrews. Buffalo Gold is a glorified Coors. Colorado Native has got worse with it's years. They need something with HOPS! Colorado beer people like their manly hoppy beer.

Back