What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ringo's Buffzone chat tonight - the gloves came off

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I couldn't find a link to the entire chat transcript on www.buffzone.com so maybe it's not up yet. But Ralphie Report did post some of the better answers Kyle gave tonight. I've never seen him so candid.

http://www.ralphiereport.com/2009/12/14/1201074/kyle-ringo-of-the-bdc-chat-tons-of

Regarding Darrell Scott:

I've heard that he has had communication of some sort with CU coaches and that there might be a slim chance that he will return to the program. But I have also heard he is considering going to Arizona. Very uncertain at this point

On the mismanagement of the Hawkins situation:

Of course it's hurting. How could it not hurt? That's why it was completely foolish to handle the situation the way it was handled. If they were going to keep Hawkins, they should have came out and said so at midseason and been done with it then, so it would be much less of an issue now. Instead they managed to get every last drop of negative press they could and just at the last moment, they found a way to get even more of it. It's an absolute disaster and a clinic in how to mismanage the situation. ...But that is what happens when you have someone swoop in from on high and micromanage a situation for political reasons. A total dropping of the ball.

On Colorado's mediocre recruiting effort so far:

Far below mediocre? Sure. define it anyway you want. When you're ranked in the 60s and 70s in recruiting and you play in the Big 12 Conference, you're not getting the job done. You're Baylor. Teams like Boise State can be in the 60s and 70s every year because they only have to beat a couple teams every season and smash the cupcakes on the rest of the schedule and they can win their conference and go to a decent bowl or even rise up to the BCS bowls. Different deal at a BCS school

On the real reason Hawkins was retained:

This is the problem with "the real story." No one who allegedly has proof of what happened or was involved in what happened wants to talk about it. I have tried to get boosters to talk to me about it with no success so far. Mike Bohn has turned down an interview request and says he won't be discussing the topic any more and is working toward the future. So unless someone out there decides to grow a pair and stand up tell the truth, we will probably never know. ...Having said all of that, some of my sources who I trust have told me that president Benson refused to allow the firing and buyout because it would have caused political problems with his lobbying efforts at the Legislature. So Hawkins was retained

That is great.

It really is a shame that some of these big donors, if they actually do exist, won't come forward and call bull**** on this whole fiasco...

do we even have any real, big time donors?

That's a question I've been asking for a decade now.

According to the "insiders" and the people with "scoop" there was enough money out there to buy Hawkins out, whether it came from 1 person or 50 people.

Some other notes

-Said that he expects additional staff changes. Not firings tho, just more people leaving

-Said CU should be renamed exCUse

-Said they "really, really screwed up" the whole hawk situation

-Also said that DiStefano was not involved in retaining hawk. it was just benson

What about recruiting? Can we somehow get Mister Jones back from A$M or is it done?

Ringo has said on the Scout message board that he has a very good, longtime friend who has 1st hand knowledge of Mister Jones' decision-making process. Based on what he's heard, Ringo has said there's a reason he kept Jones as a soft verbal all this time but he has also said that he thinks in the end that Jones will sign with CU.

Sounds more like the batting gloves came off, nonetheless, good stuff buffnik :thumbsup:

Ringo has said on the Scout message board that he has a very good, longtime friend who has 1st hand knowledge of Mister Jones' decision-making process. Based on what he's heard, Ringo has said there's a reason he kept Jones as a soft verbal all this time but he has also said that he thinks in the end that Jones will sign with CU.

Can't stop there.. We need another back in this class.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_13995868?IADID=Search-www.buffzone.com-www.buffzone.com

Some other interesting tidbits:

Quite frankly, it sounds to me like the CU staff thought it had Mister in the bag and got lazy with his recruitment.
Recruiting is going very mediocre at this point. CU is ranked among the worst BCS level teams in the 2010 recruiting rankings at this point. Not a lot of high level commitments. Two of the five kids they had in for visits this weekend had a total of one Division I offer between them
In response to a question about any positive news to share:

Awesome GPA... No one has beat anyone up recently.
:lol:

I would say the best is a 6-6, maybe 7-5 year. The worst is another dose of 2-10
he is 6-4, 315 and lightly recruited out of high school. Looks like he has worked hard and was getting some interest late this year from other programs. I'm sure he will get in. You would have to be completely incompetent to bring a JC guy for a visit a week before the signing period, offer him a scholarship and all without knowing for sure he would get in. Right? I mean, anything less than that is just throwing money away.

Fair enough. I'm certainly not going to say that Dan Hawkins gets asked intelligent questions every time out...I hope you will be realistic enough to admit he certainly doesn't give wise answers every time out either. And the fact that he gives excuses much of the time is documented fact.

In response to someone saying we beat Bama for the final three quarters a couple years ago:

What does that even mean \"for the final three quarters\" ? So what? I mean, i understand what you're getting at, but football games are four quarters, not three. Who cares that they won three quarters? All that means is they must have played a pretty lousy quarter in that other 25 percent of the game. They lost. Period.
:thumbsup:

The honesty was quite refreshing. I am so glad to hear more and more media members tell it like it is.

Last edited:
If you were named HC for a day and could make any staff changes you wanted to, who would you bring in to make an impact on this team both on the field and in recruiting?
8:30

KyleRingo: Eric Bieniemy

That's who we need as head coach.

Oh, and this popped out at me: WARNING, WARNING, GOOD NEWS ALERT!

8:33
[Comment From johnnytColorado]
Is Nick Kasa doing better? You think he is still on board or might transfer out
8:34
KyleRingo: I asked Nick about the future at the end of the season and he said he will be here next season.

do we even have any real, big time donors?

I know one that was in the loop and made a commitment to said buyout. This person was shocked when Bohn pulled the plug.

Sackman made a great point about a month or two ago noting that Benson was in a pickle over this money issue with the state and the timing of firing Hawkins. Reading the last graph of the first post from Ringo looks like teh sack of sack was wise indeed. :thumbsup:

If you were named HC for a day and could make any staff changes you wanted to, who would you bring in to make an impact on this team both on the field and in recruiting?
8:30

KyleRingo: Eric Bieniemy

That's who we need as head coach.

Not squeaky clean, probably would run his mouth about a lack of support. Im guessing Ill never see EB on our sideline again but crazier things have happened.

Fans need to start targeting Benson. It's not Hawk's fault that he is still here, he did the best he could to get fired with his performance and exCUses... Aim! Fire!

Liked the EB comment.

Last edited:
Wow.. was he drunk or something? Interesting that even he seems to be turning on Hawk. The recruiting shortcomings are a major issue imo; if they can't pull in a decent class this year I shudder to think what next year will look like. Thank god Kasa is coming back next year, he played pretty good considering his injury issues and being a true freshman in the Big 12.

Good, I'm glad more people are actually speaking up (besides us fans, because they dont seem the care what we think) in the media. I hope there is so much pressure on Benson and Bohn that they are both gone along with Hack. Those three can take the HOV lane out of Colorado for all I care. What a phuukin JOKE this whole scenario is. THOSE assholes have "burned the program to the ground!!!" That will be a legitimate statement the NEXT coach say when he shows up.

It's only going to get worse during the offseason as this whole mess stews in peoples' minds. I hope the media continues to bash the idots in the administration, including Bohn, and the decisions they make. Hack is epitomy ineptitude, he his the Mud Dawgs' coach before Bobby Bouchez got there.

Ringo should be ashamed of himself for so much negativity. No one has the right to speak against the program like that - especially a paid professional. :smile2:

Ringo should be ashamed of himself for so much negativity. No one has the right to speak against the program like that - especially a paid professional. :smile2:

My god, that kind of negative **** in the press is really going to hurt recruiting! Oh wait, all recruits get their info from Allbuffs instead of the local press who covers the team day in and day out. My mistake. Nothing to see, urrr, I mean read here. :smile2:

Ringo is a tool. Has this guy ever coached? Has he ever taken a chance in life? Does he even have kids?

What he needs to do is call Bohn and Hawkins and ask "how can I help" instead of being part of the problem. If Ringo ends up being the reason our last recruit changes his mind, I'm going to go throw eggs at his house.

I'm sure that Coach Hawkins' staff can find a lot of leftovers to sweep up with BCS scholarship offers in those days after the official signing, too. That's going to be a lot easier than studying a lot of tapes, trying to claim they're the best program, etc. Just make one phone call and say, "You can't find a better offer" and hope the kids don't think about what "better" means.

With Coach Hawkins' years of great skill-development that we've seen, I'm sure he only need bodies and he'll turn those into a CU Football program that he can take to the next level.

He's shown me that he can do this. When he wants to show me something different, I'll be watching.

Ringo has attempted to get anyone with knowledge on the record for a story he has written but has not published yet. I am not a Ringo fan but, he is really attempting a late second effort of getting Hawkins fired. While I am not willing to go on the record...as I have been asked, I will say Ringos efforts are real. The problem is that nobody, I mean nobody, myself included, will go on the record and allow his name in the paper in connection with this fiasco. We all have private business and family to worry about and having our names connected to this story could do serious damage. That being said...if some of us felt it would help, we would lend our name to it...it is just too late.

That is too bad. I understand why people would not want to fall on their own swords. It's too bad we don't have some donor who is like 75 and just doesn't give a rip.....

That is too bad. I understand why people would not want to fall on their own swords. It's too bad we don't have some donor who is like 75 and just doesn't give a rip.....

Give me 53 years.

Ringo has attempted to get anyone with knowledge on the record for a story he has written but has not published yet. I am not a Ringo fan but, he is really attempting a late second effort of getting Hawkins fired. While I am not willing to go on the record...as I have been asked, I will say Ringos efforts are real. The problem is that nobody, I mean nobody, myself included, will go on the record and allow his name in the paper in connection with this fiasco. We all have private business and family to worry about and having our names connected to this story could do serious damage. That being said...if some of us felt it would help, we would lend our name to it...it is just too late.

Can't people speak on the condition of anonymity? Doesn't that sort of thing happen all the time in the press?

Back