What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RIP Joe Paterno

Despite what occurred with Sandusky, JoePa was one of the good ones and was great for the game of football.

As stated countless times by others, football is unimportant in the face of what he let continue. "Felt inadequate to deal with it" does not alleviate him of any responsibility to all those poor kids, and far outweighs any other part of his life - unfortunate, but true.

Whatever good he did for football is far and away overshadowed by his and Penn State's disgusting behavior. JoePa seemed like one of the good ones until someone finally looked behind the curtain. Really a terrible human being. May God have mercy on his soul.

Last edited:
His death is now being reported by ESPN, CNN etc. and has been vonfirmed by PSU and his family.

Never liked Penn state, never liked Joe Pa, but I forgive him for what he let happen.

RIP Joe Pa, you were the best!

Never liked Penn state, never liked Joe Pa, but I forgive him for what he let happen.

RIP Joe Pa, you were the best!

Confused by this.

And why are people sad? Old people die. I just wish he lived long enough where he had to see some results of the sandusky ****.

I understand how people feel about this, but lets remember that he didn't commit these crimes, he made a mistake on not telling authorities and taking action.

He's a coward whose inactions allowed who knows how many other innocent children to become victims.

when I was CU Psych student, they said that when a couple is married for 25 years or more and 1 of them dies, the other is statistically likely to die within 5 years. Paternos marraige to football, was more intense than most mens marragies to women. Too bad it had to end amidst a scandal

Paterno-Bryant75SugarBowl.jpg

I understand how people feel about this, but lets remember that he didn't commit these crimes, he made a mistake on not telling authorities and taking action.

Not a problem with how others feel, this is my take. Read what I wrote. It said what he allowed to happen. And now that I think about it, if he knew about it, he is as guilty as the dusche bag asshole that raped those boys. Dying is getting off way to easy.

Not a problem with how others feel, this is my take. Read what I wrote. It said what he allowed to happen. And now that I think about it, if he knew about it, he is as guilty as the dusche bag asshole that raped those boys. Dying is getting off way to easy.

Well, I hate to bring religion into this, but if god doesn't approve, then maybe he isn't getting off easy right now. :thumbsup:

+1. Whatever good he did for football is far and away overshadowed by his and Penn State's disgusting behavior. JoePa seemed like one of the good ones until someone finally looked behind the curtain. Really a terrible human being. May God have mercy on his soul.

So it's cool now to wish death, anal rape and hell on people, including 85 year-old men who just died? And it may even get you positive rep? Talk about disgusting.

So it's cool now to wish death, anal rape and hell on people, including 85 year-old men who just died? And it may even get you positive rep? Talk about disgusting.
Wishing death on the dead?:lol::lol: Wishing death or rape on someone who allowed rape of children to continue:thumbsup:

“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven." - Luke 6:37

Sad this is how he is going to be remembered but, you reap what you sow.

Leash, I think your opinion might be different if your son was one of Sandusky's special friends, knowing that Pa knew about but didn't stop that monster. And yeah, bringing the occult into the discussion is just wrong.

Not it is not. I just wasn't sure neg rep was needed. Maybe I shouldn't have mingled my post with the others. I apologize.

Last edited:
Guys. Paterno's body isn't even cold.

This is the time for his friends and family to grieve and memorialize his legacy...as a father...as a coach...as a friend.

None of this makes his non-action in the Sandusky action less reprehensible. But there is a time for indignation and a time for allowing people to grieve.

Once JoPa is planted in the ground, there will be many days ahead for investigation, trials, and justice.

JoPa has lost everything at this point, save for the chance to be judged by his maker. His reputation is forever tarnished as he was sacked amongst a child sex scandal.

Those he left behind, including PSU, Sandusky the victims, and everybody in the cyber-peanut gallery have weeks and years to sort out justice for the living.

I don't think for a second that JoePa is bad man, I think he made an honest and ignorantly huge mistake by not doing more and he realiized that when it was far too late. I also think he felt terrible about his lack of action on that matter.

RIP JoePa

Not it is not. I just wasn't sure neg rep was needed. Maybe I shouldn't have mingled my post with the others. I apologize.

No need to apologize. Everyone is entitled to feel how they feel and say what they want, I just don't think tadploe's comment was cool under the circumstances and found it offensive. It probably didn't deserve neg rep - overreaction on my part.

Joe Paterno made a huge mistake (I don't even know if you can call it a mistake since he made it everyday he didn't do more), but now is the time to say RIP and move on.

Sweet SI cover, leash.

JoePa

I was at that game. An incredible win for CU but also it demonstrated the difficulty for a team from sea level or thereabouts to come to altitude early in the season to play. I think it was the first game of the season.

I will remember Paterno for a game he coached against an Alabama team that was favored. I think it was Testaverde and Penn State's defense made the day miserable for the QB. Great coaching job.

I think Paterno is a testament to the single minded pursuit of excellence in an endeavor but the single minded part sometimes backfires. Not what we could call a balanced human being. He was one thing, a coach. To compare him to other great coaches, particularly John Wooden, who was more of a balanced human being, leaves Paterno short. Too bad. He strove for legendary status so aggressively to the point where he coached way beyond his effectiveness, is sad. And of course he stayed long enough as a doddering old man to be part of one of the most sordid chapters in college football. The Greek tragedies addressed this dynamic.

I don't think for a second that JoePa is bad man, I think he made an honest and ignorantly huge mistake by not doing more and he realiized that when it was far too late. I also think he felt terrible about his lack of action on that matter.

RIP JoePa

I aggree with you here. There has been no proof that he knew it was ongoing. I think he honestly feels terrible about not doing more. He made a positive impact on thousands of lives. If you know the case well Sandusky was at one time questioned by authorities in 98 about lude conduct with children, and the authorities let him go. There is a lot more blame to go around, and I think Joe Pa has gotten a lot more blame then deserved.

Last edited:
Kal, you're remembering the Fiesta Bowl against Miami. Miami had something like 5 more turnovers to lose by 3, I think. A lot of unforced errors as I recall, but PS did defeat a vastly superior Miamiteam, although it was full of assholes.

I watched that CU/PSU game Kal. Cliff Branch took the 2nd half kickoff to the house. I believe the ****tany lions were ranked #3 at the time.

I never liked Paterno or Penn State but for a lot of years he had quality teams both on and off the field. It is sad that a guy who was able to handle the challenges of running a major college football program couldn't handle the challenge when faced with the moral failings of a close personal friend. As a result an uncounted number of children had to suffer. Had he left gracefully 5-10 years ago he would have been remembered as one of the all time greats, instead his memory will always, as it should be, be connected with the increadibly horrible Sandusky situation.

A big part of his passing this soon has to be losing his connection to football. At the same time he must have been eaten up by guilt thinking about his failure to act in a way that protected the children and also putting a huge stain on the program and the university that was his life.

Back