What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RIP Joe Paterno

My excuse is that I am in bed with some kind of flu or something. How could I associate Testaverde with Alabama??? The final of that Fiesta Bowl was 14 to 10. Penn State's defense was magnificent. To me it was Paterno's highest achievement. They beat the number 1 team for the National Championship. The guy should have left long ago with the achievements he had instead of the narcissistic chase for most wins.

My excuse is that I am in bed with some kind of flu or something. How could I associate Testaverde with Alabama??? The final of that Fiesta Bowl was 14 to 10. Penn State's defense was magnificent. To me it was Paterno's highest achievement. They beat the number 1 team for the National Championship. The guy should have left long ago with the achievements he had instead of the narcissistic chase for most wins.

If he would have left earlier, especially after that win over Miami, Sandusky would have been named the Penn State HC. That was Sandusky's defense, game plan, and playcalling. I believe Sandusky won a couple national awards right around then for his defensive coaching and was widely considered JoePa's heir apparent (though Joe refused to name him).

Probably good that Paterno stuck around.

You guys see that Sandusky released a statement through his attorney praising joe pa's actions during his life? I mean seriously this guy is a ****ing joke. The guy is loving the attention. ****ing whack job.

Sandusky should be saying I'm sorry I raped little boys now you can put me in front of the firing squad.

Probably did a ton of good in his life, but I'm always going to remember him as the guy that was too weak to turn in his friend, therefore allowing more kids to become victims. Unacceptable in my book.

Wow...what a sad ending to all this. At one point, the guy was going to be heralded as one of the titans of CFB. His legacy is now tarnished because he allegedly didn't do the right thing.

Probably did a ton of good in his life, but I'm always going to remember him as the guy that was too weak to turn in his friend, therefore allowing more kids to become victims. Unacceptable in my book.

point taken but I'm not sure joe pa and sandusky were that "friendly" at any point

his inaction (at best) or his intentional diversion (at worst) lead to many more crimes being committed against children.

dead or alive, he's a douchebag and he's culpable. and, i am not going to say nice things about him just because he croaked. the several dozen kids who have to live with what happened to them are scarred forever.

rest in hell, paterno.

You guys see that Sandusky released a statement through his attorney praising joe pa's actions during his life? I mean seriously this guy is a ****ing joke. The guy is loving the attention. ****ing whack job.

Sandusky should be saying I'm sorry I raped little boys now you can put me in front of the firing squad.

He really should do another interview. The last one turned out well for him.

his inaction (at best) or his intentional diversion (at worst) lead to many more crimes being committed against children.

dead or alive, he's a douchebag and he's culpable. and, i am not going to say nice things about him just because he croaked. the several dozen kids who have to live with what happened to them are scarred forever.

rest in hell, paterno.

+1

Damn just lost 100 bucks to the GF. We had a bet he would die after stepping down. O/U was 7 months.

Statement From Rip Scherer, Colorado Assistant Head Coach (from Ringo's blog)

(Scherer is a former head coach at Memphis and James Madison; he began his coaching career as a graduate assistant under Joe Paterno in 1974; his father Rip, Sr., played football at Penn State from 1945-49 and was a long-time legendary high school in Pittsburgh; his son Ryan is a senior wide receiver at Penn State.)

“Coach Paterno was not only a great football coach—arguably the greatest ever, but he was truly a great man. I have had the privilege of knowing Coach Paterno for most of my life—since I was 5 years old. My Dad was a Penn State football letterman and a high school coach in the Pittsburgh area, and Joe would frequent our house on many occasions while recruiting.

“Later I had the honor of working under him as I began my football coaching career at Penn State as a graduate assistant from 1974-76, and without a doubt, his footprint was on every coaching opportunity that I have had in this profession. He impacted my career and my coaching philosophy to this day, and I am thankful for that. As of late I have been able to observe him from the perspective of a parent whose son played for Joe, as my son Ryan has been a Penn State football player the past four seasons.

“I can attest that from many perspectives he touched many young people’s lives in an extremely positive manner. The world of college football and college athletics will never see another coach or person like Coach Joe Paterno.”

I don't think for a second that JoePa is bad man, I think he made an honest and ignorantly huge mistake by not doing more and he realiized that when it was far too late. I also think he felt terrible about his lack of action on that matter.

RIP JoePa

He realized it after he was caught.

He realized it after he was caught.

exactly. i love how he was remorseful AFTER not doing anything about it for years and AFTER getting called out by the police for his role in the matter (although not prosecutable, was, imho, unequivocably immoral).

rest in hell, paterno.

It's as if someone called in his markers.

a6934821-ebfe-bd60.jpg

So three months ago JoePa was still coaching, his team was 8-1 and in first place, and he had a stellar and iconic reputaion. Since then he's gotten fired, his reputation has been largely destroyed, and he got cancer and subsequentley died. Amazing and sad how fast things can change.

So three months ago JoePa was still coaching, his team was 8-1 and in first place, and he had a stellar and iconic reputaion. Since then he's gotten fired, his reputation has been largely destroyed, and he got cancer and subsequentley died. Amazing and sad how fast things can change.

It is amazing how sad and long 11+ years is when you know of a pedophile and don't report him. It is amazing how sad and long 11+ years are for all of those children in that time span who had to endure the most evil crime there is.

I wish he would have been dying 11+ years ago only in hope that he would have shared that knowledge from his deathbed. This guy doesn't ****ing matter. Only the victims and their families do.

It is amazing how sad and long 11+ years is when you know of a pedophile and don't report him. It is amazing how sad and long 11+ years are for all of those children in that time span who had to endure the most evil crime there is.

I wish he would have been dying 11+ years ago only in hope that he would have shared that knowledge from his deathbed. This guy doesn't ****ing matter. Only the victims and their families do.

I agree I'm not defending JoePa's actions but that doesn't mean you can't still have sympathy for his plight. He should have been fired and had the law permited it he probably should have been thrown in jail but the guy is now dead.....The whole Penn State scandal is just a sad situation all around.

^^This^^

No amount of wins on the football field and glory for the school could justify what happened to any one of those kids and he choose to ignore it and allow it to happen to many kids. We may never know how many but any are to many.

Now they will line up by the tens of thousands and talk about what a great guy he was, meanwhile the victims have to spend the rest of their lives knowing that the great "hero" could have done something to stop it but his beloved football program was more important, and that a whole school from the president on down let him do it.

Any chance JoePa said he'd rat out Sandusky over his dead body? Too soon?

Seriously, Joe did a lot of good. OTOH, it is hard to imagine getting burned by a worse set of allegations. Sandusky represents a truly evil man, and Joe didn't do much to try and stop it. The man is dead, so I say leave him be, he is being judged by someone with more wisdom and better sense of justice than any of us. His legacy is about all we get to judge, and for me, all the good he may have done was negated by allowing that perv to keep molesting kids.....

I thought this was a fair assessment of Paterno. I do not think we should demonize a man who did so much good. Obviously, with hindsight, anyone would wish they had done more regarding a monster like Sandusky. I honestly do not think Paterno had even the slightest clue who he was dealing with.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7492873/rick-reilly-paterno-true-legacy

The article starts right off with a bad premise: "Maybe you will never be convinced Joe Paterno was a good man who made one catastrophic mistake, but do you have time for just one story?"

JoePa made that same mistake every day until it was found out by other means and he had no choice but to admit it. That's a lot more than one mistake, and each and every one are unforgivable.

In my mind, Every. Last. Bit. of good he did during his time on this planet was wiped out a thousand-fold by the evil he, insofar as I can tell from the evidence put forward, knowingly allowed to occur during his watch. No matter how many young men he helped and molded, he completely and utterly failed as a man, as a human being, to simply protect the younger, far more innocent (prior to their involvement) and far more HELPLESS young men so irreversibly altered by their unfortunate involvement in this horrific and sordid affair.

If you had time to read that one story Wyo posted, then please, read this one, from a victims perspective (not one of the victims of the monster Sandusky)

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/01/22/1057341/-F

Back