What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rip Scherer... our new QB coach?

I am very impressed with the staff Embree has pulled in here. This staff is a huge upgrade to what we had as far as experience is concerned. I'm pumped! A good staff is a very often overlooked key to a good team.

At what recruiting area would Scherer be primarily looking at? And what for Marshall, Brookhart and Brown?

Embo, EB - California
Cabral, Tui - Hawaii, Polynesians in general
Kennedy, McGhee - Texas

It would seem that this staff is a better set of coaches than the previous staff and that they should be better recruiters. Then again, that could have been said no matter who we hired as new coaches. As for what I think of Rip Scherer, not sure. He's been a lot of places, which I guess is a good thing? He's been in the college coaching ranks before, which is a very good thing.

I'm excited about the future for the Buffs, but I'll say this about Embree and the rest of the coaches... I won't be fooled again on believing how great they are before I see how they do. Next year will be what I base my opinions on. How do they recruit for a full year and how do our players look/improve under this new set of coaches.

At what recruiting area would Scherer be primarily looking at? And what for Marshall, Brookhart and Brown?

Embo, EB - California
Cabral, Tui - Hawaii, Polynesians in general
Kennedy, McGhee - Texas

Think I remember reading somewhere those three will focus in-state and on the rest of the country for those recruits "that show a desire to come to Colorado." - e.g. the NJ pipeline.

I look at all these resumes and realize what a tough gig these coaches have, switching jobs and locations every few years. Gotta be tough on a family. Of course, military families do it too, and don't get paid nearly as much.

Good ole Rip. I grew up in Memphis, TN so I remember when he took over for Chuck Stobart at Memphis. He had a number of mediocre seasons there. I think Memphis is a school that *should* be able to recruit some good talent based on the location and the lame academic standards. Oh well. Anyways, hopefully he's a better QB coach than he was a head coach.

This guy's resume looks fantastic. I don't see how anyone could be upset about this hire. Looks like a home run to me.

If he's the guy, what's the delay in hiring him? Carolina wasn't in the playoffs, couldn't this have been a done deal weeks ago?

Good ole Rip. I grew up in Memphis, TN so I remember when he took over for Chuck Stobart at Memphis. He had a number of mediocre seasons there. I think Memphis is a school that *should* be able to recruit some good talent based on the location and the lame academic standards. Oh well. Anyways, hopefully he's a better QB coach than he was a head coach.

I grew up in Memphis too, still live here. Rip sucked as a head coach. He was a really nice guy, but his teams sucked. He came over from James Madison and was supposed to have an awesome and exciting offense. As Memphis was accustomed to the Stobart run 3 up the middle and punt days we were thrilled - it wasn't though. I do remember his son Scott was a QB as well, so I think he knows the position and has a ton of experience. All he has to do is recruit the pro style QB's and coach them - that I am confident he can do. As long as he is not a head coach I think it is a good hire.

Very solid hire. His big test comes pretty much right away with who he can land in the 2012 class (blue chip QBs generally commit before the summer).

really excited to see what he does with TH. This guy made derek ANDERSON a pro bowler. I think he will do well here.

I have no inside info, but the longer it takes to anounce Scherer the more I think it is not going to happen. It seems like embree is still looking. Also, if Fox is coming to Denver and he is not keeping Scherer is that a bad sign? The articles that i have read about Scherer sound like he is a very good QB coach, so I would not be dissappointed he comes to CU. I just wonder why he would make the lateral move now.

A lot of colleges have been able to pull NFL assistants this year in lateral moves. I think these assistants are expecting a labor issue and want to make sure they're getting paid in 2011.

I have no inside info, but the longer it takes to anounce Scherer the more I think it is not going to happen. It seems like embree is still looking. Also, if Fox is coming to Denver and he is not keeping Scherer is that a bad sign? The articles that i have read about Scherer sound like he is a very good QB coach, so I would not be dissappointed he comes to CU. I just wonder why he would make the lateral move now.

Don't think so...listening to CJ and Klatt today, it sounds like Fox may look to keep Mike McCoy on as OC as Fox worked with McCoy once upon a time in Carolina when McCoy was his QB coach, and also keep Ben McDaniels as QB coach since he has a rapport with Tebow already. Look at it as there's no room for Scherer, and we are the winners!

Where exactly would Rip excel in recruiting? Or does JH only send him after QBs?

I found some old articles from when he was head coach at Memphis. Apparently, he transformed that program's recruiting from a JUCO focus and pulled in some of the best prospects in that program's history. Did well in Memphis and the surrounding region (greater Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi). I didn't find much on his later recruiting efforts at KU and Southern Miss.

I'd expect that he'd be put on QBs as his primary responsibility. Beyond that, it wouldn't surprise me if he was assigned the Big 8 geography.

I thought CU might still be targeting Fisch, but he just accepted the OC job in Miami. I hope we finalize the deal with Scherer soon.

A lot of colleges have been able to pull NFL assistants this year in lateral moves. I think these assistants are expecting a labor issue and want to make sure they're getting paid in 2011.

I haven't seen many that are straight across that didn't include big money. I've seen some promotions. College jobs require much more travel for example (Recruiting).

But I agree it's certainly possible. I guess a bigger worry to me is would we be just "renting" an NFL coach for a year until the NFL situation was straightened out?

I suspect Embree has been courting some NFL coaches for sure. I just don't expect him to get one. Hope to be wrong.

Do you think Burnette and Dorman committed without being told who the QB coach would be?

Back