What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RMS Ticket Sales

As long as the teams we are competing for recognition with are loading their OOC schedules with cream puffs I'm not in favor of beating ourselves over the head before we ever get to conference play.

My ideal would be one solid but not great P5 team, a bottom end P5 or upper end non-P5 (a non-P5 that is usually a bowl participant,) and one glorified scrimmage against a lower end non-P5 team.

This third part could be accomplished on a regular basis with some regional teams that are normally not very good like UNM, NMSU, and even Wyo. CSU would fit into this catagory as well but they put so much emphasis on the game that we end up with an opponent who usually plays well over their heads for us.

Last edited:
I don't know about that. How much excitement is there against Iowa State, Kansas State, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Mississippi State, and various other middling and cellar dwelling P5 foes?

From my personal experience, the opportunity to road trip to a campus was a cornerstone of indoctrination as a life long college football fan. Making a pilgrimage with a bunch of college buddies and experiencing some different, new, and exotic campus under the excuse of a CU football game is right there with the Vegas road trip or Marti Gras outing for the college kid bucket list. College in Boulder is fantastic, and nothing punctuates that opinion more than conquering some other college town under a CU football banner. Unfortunately the distance between CU and other P12 schools requires an airplane, which severely limits the number of students who show up on any given Saturday.

Some of the most cherished sporting moments for the most recent crop of CU students will undoubtedly include going to CSU, NCAA in ABQ, or the P12 tourney in Vegas and cheering the buffs basketball team on the road. There really is nothing like that for football...mostly because a neutral Mile High stadium is the only and closest option, and hanging out in Denver is nothing like going into legitimate enemy territory.

I think playing an Illinois, Iowa, Virginia or North Carolina is going to draw bigger crowds and have more wide reaching appeal than the 38k a game with New Mexico or Wyoming would draw.

At least play mid major opponents in fertile recruiting grounds, although I'm skeptical how much beneficial exposure playing Rice or San Jose State in front of 12,000 fans and getting a box score on page 8 of the local newspaper actually brings.

Last edited:
If you have a problem with playing CSU every year, it seems pretty dumb to say a rotation would suddenly make everything okay. CA, TX, and real-live P5 teams would be infinitely better.

Yup. Manly man teams please. SEC, ACC, and B1G

I think playing an Illinois, Iowa, Virginia or North Carolina is going to draw bigger crowds and have more wide reaching appeal than the 38k a game with New Mexico or Wyoming would draw.

At least play mid major opponents in fertile recruiting grounds, although I'm skeptical how much beneficial exposure playing Rice or San Jose State in front of 12,000 fans and getting a box score on page 8 of the local newspaper actually brings.

Sure. But there's value in scheduling a series that:

- is going to be a CU win 75% of the time
- is going to give your students and fans a good opportunity to travel to a road game
- is going to be interesting local media
- is going to draw a much better crowd than a 1-AA team or comparable out-of-region non-P5 team
- is going to bring CO preps who signed to the MWC back to Boulder as a highlight game

Sure. But there's value in scheduling a series that:

- is going to be a CU win 75% of the time
- is going to give your students and fans a good opportunity to travel to a road game
- is going to be interesting local media
- is going to draw a much better crowd than a 1-AA team or comparable out-of-region non-P5 team
- is going to bring CO preps who signed to the MWC back to Boulder as a highlight game

It has some merits hypothetically, although with the reality of AFA not wanting to play us, the need for a 5 year hiatus from CSU, a New Mexico being pretty distant despite having the Front Range label...we're left with Wyoming. I enjoyed playing Wyo in 2009 but there was hardly much excitement surrounding it. I think AFA is the only one that truly has appeal and we're in a near no hope situation there. We are in a unique geographic situation being isolated from the Pac (and Big XII), so regional flavor has a case, but the reality is our options are pretty "meh".

I like having something to jaw about with my in state friends every year. But if the game poses only risk them kill it. If they can step up their program so that a) a loss to them is expected sometimes and b) beating them means anything at all then keep it.

**** the regional games. We start winning again the regional support will come. In the late 80s and early 90s you saw people wearing CU gear all over the country, let allow the region. When we get back on the national scene, CU will be the region. We don't need the regional games.

Not sure why everyone wants to get rid of the CSU game. Just get it out of Sports Authority and back on campus. Offer a 2 for 1 and tell CSU to go pound sand if they don't want it. Not sure why this is that hard. If they decline, move on. I guarantee you they will eventually sign on to a 2 for 1. It's their biggest pay day of the year.

Not sure why everyone wants to get rid of the CSU game. Just get it out of Sports Authority and back on campus. Offer a 2 for 1 and tell CSU to go pound sand if they don't want it. Not sure why this is that hard. If they decline, move on. I guarantee you they will eventually sign on to a 2 for 1. It's their biggest pay day of the year.

This. It's not that I dislike playing CSU. I dislike the game in Denver. In years when the game is at Folsom, we could have seven home games. That's the perfect scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because it's a no win game. Bring in an assortment of 1 off FCS or other non-P5 teams. Save the 2 for 1 series for schools in locations that reward the fans willing to travel; UMASS is a prime example.

Because it's a no win game. Bring in an assortment of 1 off FCS or other non-P5 teams. Save the 2 for 1 series for schools in locations that reward the fans willing to travel; UMASS is a prime example.

Those would also be no win game, why is that any better?

A friend told me that she got her ticket on the CSU side for $25; in comparison she said the CU tickets were $55. Shows that you pay for the company of the people you sit around.

So a loss to a 1AA team versus CSU, is better? It hurts more instate views as the media will run with it, but other than that I disagree. I think its a fun in state game for the fans and players. Doesn't really matter to me either way, but if push comes to shove, I'd like to see it stay around.

So a loss to a 1AA team versus CSU, is better? It hurts more instate views as the media will run with it, but other than that I disagree. I think its a fun in state game for the fans and players. Doesn't really matter to me either way, but if push comes to shove, I'd like to see it stay around.

You must be a ball to sit around if you assume we will lose to an FCS team.

Those would also be no win game, why is that any better?

Bull****, the only no win is against CSU. No matter what happens in the CSU game, the Denver media hammers CU. Bring in out of the region non-P5 teams, if we have to trade home games, make it to enjoyable locations.

Bull****, the only no win is against CSU. No matter what happens in the CSU game, the Denver media hammers CU. Bring in out of the region non-P5 teams, if we have to trade home games, make it to enjoyable locations.

You mean like Fresno State?

Yeah that's just not true, beat CSU like we should and there's no ammo for local media if you believe they're out to get us somehow.

So what exactly went down between CU and Air Force? Everyone talks about the bad things we did be there is not a single story or detail.
The last game played was in Folsom in the mid to late 70's. It wasn't so much how the team was treated as how CU students received the corps of cadets that came up to watch the game. Think all the worst stuff that happened to those in military uniform at close of Vietnam, and now think of that in the hands of liberal 18-22 year old college students who are being fueled by alcohol and a pretty damn good football team, and all that nastiness was concentrated in a small area for a short period of time. Several years ago, one of the state newspapers (I think it was either the RMN or the Gazette in CS) put their original story up on the web from that game (it was alongside a columnist's article explaining why the teams don't play anymore); it sounded absolutely awful - I was retroactively very embarrassed for dear old CU, definitely not our finest hour.

The USAFA commandant at the time swore that the academy would never again subject the cadets to that type of environment. We will probably have to wait until all the officers who were around during and near that time period to retire before we could have a snowball's chance of resuming the series (the good news is that we're getting closer to that point).

The resumed basketball series is a good start to mending fences, but there is a difference in having a couple hundred cadets in Coors for a game, and having 1,000+ in Folsom.

We would also have to schedule them for home and home series; they don't do two for ones. (Why should they? They get ND for home and home series, they're not giving CU a 2-1.)

Finally, that's a bitch of an offense to prepare for a one off (although the similarities to the zone read make it somewhat easier than it used to be), and any team that plays as disciplined a game as they do is always dangerous.

Has nothing to do with playing CSU.

It has everything to do with playing CSU. The media almost treats us like the home team when we play any one else. No matter what happens in the CSU game the Denver media spins it against the Buffs. This series has run it's course and needs to end.

People are ignoring that CU gets a 7th home game in the season ticket package with CSU at Mile High....big revenue.

Last edited:
For the purpose cited by BlackNGold (inclusion as a 7th game in a season ticket package) it does.

"Home" game is different than "game". In fact, they are worlds apart. One of the biggest issues that CU fans have with this game is that it in fact is NOT a home game, and pretty much removes the possibility of that 7th home game each year. It may be included in the season package, but it is absolutely not a home game.

Back