What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Roberson......

OsideBuff

Dimwitted ****
How does an NBA player shoot 42% from the line? Houston intentionally fouled him down the stretch...and he clanked..Went like 3 for 8. Embarrassing.

If you want to bag on Roberson, why do it here? Is there a Thunder fan site you can use? Everyone should know he's there for his defense skills.

I'm not sure why there's such a backlash against the original post. I love Dre, as I'm sure the vast majority of us do, but it's a fair comment/observation. His lack of offense is disappointing. The FT shooting hurts, and so does the fact other teams don't have to defend him. In some sets, the opposing teams completely leave Dre alone. I'm sure FT and 3 pt shooting will be on his agenda in the offseason, but it is disappointing they haven't become respectable by now.

I believe he's a FA this year, and with the new money in the NBA...he should get PAID. If he was hitting FTs and 3 pters more consistently, he could have set himself up even better.

Roberson has never been a serious offensive threat. Especially on a team with a guy like Westbrook on it. That isn't his job. His job is 1) feed the ball to Westbrook and 2) play elite defense. He does both of those at a high level.

Dre has also been the second best player on the Thunder roster in the playoffs. You know what is embarrassing, Westbrook shooting 25% from deep in the playoff this year (Dre is shooting a cool 50%). I think the problem is that he needs to shoot free throws from the 3 point line to up his percentage.

Roberson has never been a serious offensive threat. Especially on a team with a guy like Westbrook on it. That isn't his job. His job is 1) feed the ball to Westbrook and 2) play elite defense. He does both of those at a high level.

Disagree with you man. I don't think his job is limited to playing defense and giving Russ the ball. I'm sure that even Dre would say that he needs to work on his FT and 3's. His 3-% may be okay, but they are on wide open shots. His setup is slow, and he isn't consistent enough when not wide open. He really hurts on offense. That does not mean he's not a good player, but he needs to help his team on offense. At the least, don't hurt it and be a liability.

Dre was never a great natural shooter but I don't remember him being that bad from the line at CU. Seems like some guys just get missing FTs in their heads and can't get over it.

Dre just has to be good enough on offense that the opponent respects him and doesn't alter their defense without worrying about him.

Dre has also been the second best player on the Thunder roster in the playoffs. You know what is embarrassing, Westbrook shooting 25% from deep in the playoff this year (Dre is shooting a cool 50%). I think the problem is that he needs to shoot free throws from the 3 point line to up his percentage.
Roberson shot 24% for the year from three point range (that's embarrassing). I believe that was good for worst in the NBA. I like him but the sugar being heaped on here is ridiculous. Asking an NBA player to make free throws and WIDE OPEN jumpers is not out of bounds.

Roberson shot 24% for the year from three point range (that's embarrassing). I believe that was good for worst in the NBA. I like him but the sugar being heaped on here is ridiculous. Asking an NBA player to make free throws and WIDE OPEN jumpers is not out of bounds.

He is not even worst 3 point shooter on his own team.

This is what Dre wants to be and what he's building toward: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rodmade01.html

Dennis had a high 2pt%, but he was a 23% 3pt shooter and a 58% FT shooter. Something to keep in mind is that when you expend this much energy on defense and rebounding it does compromise your shooting and offense. 90+% of the Association rests on defense. Guys like Dre save their legs on the offensive end other than keeping offensive rebounds alive.

Seriously..because he plays hard he cant shoot free throws? Because he plays great defense he cant shoot free throws? Ridiculous. He was a huge liability down the stretch and they had to take him out...and Westrbrook had to cover Harden in the last two minutes..AND be the go to guy on offense. They were down 1 when they started intentionally fouling Roberson...Four times in a row...and at the end of that exchange, they were down by 5. You just cant do that......even if you shutdown a player...if you are clanking on the other end, it doesn't really matter. Never seen anything like it in the NBA...Good guy....love his game...but he was 70% as a rookie...and now at 42%....no Bueno.

So let's get this right.... Dre is known as a defensive stopper. That is his bread and butter and he throws in steals and rebounds as well as an occasional blocked shots. In lieu of applauding his efforts as the best player on OKC this series not named Westbrook, you focus on his below average free throw shooting? WOW. You must need attention! Could his free throw shooting improve? Absolutely, in fact, I am sure he would like to shoot better from there. However, his ROLE is to D up the other teams best player, play with energy and rebound. There are far worse FT shooters in the NBA, who routinely make the All-Star game (i.e. Dwight Howard, Andre Drummond, Deandre Jordan, Rudy Gobert - even Lebron James only shot 67% this season). Dre is doing Dre and OKC seems happy with that, why can't you?

Because it is ridiculous...he is shooting freethrows at a pace as the WORST in history of the NBA for a full time player....with over 1200 attempts, Ben Wallace shot 41.3% from the charity stripe...worst in NBA history. The other team was openly mocking him....he went 2 for 12 down the stretch. Good 8 year olds can shoot better than that. He cost them the game. http://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/23/15401890/andre-roberson-free-throws-laughing-rockets-bench

So let's get this right.... Dre is known as a defensive stopper. That is his bread and butter and he throws in steals and rebounds as well as an occasional blocked shots. In lieu of applauding his efforts as the best player on OKC this series not named Westbrook, you focus on his below average free throw shooting? WOW. You must need attention! Could his free throw shooting improve? Absolutely, in fact, I am sure he would like to shoot better from there. However, his ROLE is to D up the other teams best player, play with energy and rebound. There are far worse FT shooters in the NBA, who routinely make the All-Star game (i.e. Dwight Howard, Andre Drummond, Deandre Jordan, Rudy Gobert - even Lebron James only shot 67% this season). Dre is doing Dre and OKC seems happy with that, why can't you?

Only Drummond short worse than Roberson this year. I love Dre's game, but he has to do better in the FT department.

"If you paid me millions of dollars a year to play basketball, I would make over 80% of my free throws" thinks every basketball fan. It's the one thing on a basketball court that doesn't take talent. But it's such a small part of what they do out there that contributes to winning games. Fans ridiculously over-emphasize FT shooting.

TV noted that Dre was pissed when fans cheered his 1st FT make last night. He totally wants be better from the line and I'm sure he puts in the practice. Defense is second nature to him and it's all in the flow. Shooting FTs, the action is stopped and he has a psych-out problem. Every Buff watching, was hurting for him last night

TV noted that Dre was pissed when fans cheered his 1st FT make last night. He totally wants be better from the line and I'm sure he puts in the practice. Defense is second nature to him and it's all in the flow. Shooting FTs, the action is stopped and he has a psych-out problem. Every Buff watching, was hurting for him last night
That's the thing. Some of it is the tired legs and calming your body to go through the FT routine which is so unnatural versus the flow of the game you're in. I'd bet he shoots 80-85% in practice. But those factors would maybe put him in the 70% range. Below that like he's going through is mental, much like when a catcher all of a sudden develops a hitch and can't throw to 2nd base.

He should shoot them underhand like Rick Barry.

There's some advanced metrics stuff out there that says something along the lines of everyone who shoots under 80% should shoot them like Rick Barry. But there is a stigma around shooting them underhanded.

What's happened with Dre is the same thing that happens with a lot of pitchers when they get into the minors. Dre was a serviceable 3 point shooter and free throw shooter at CU. When he got to the league, coaches said, "you have an ugly jumper, we're going to change it to make you a more efficient scorer"... Well, as with many pitchers, the exact opposite has happened... his shooting has gotten dramatically worse in the pros.

What's happened with Dre is the same thing that happens with a lot of pitchers when they get into the minors. Dre was a serviceable 3 point shooter and free throw shooter at CU. When he got to the league, coaches said, "you have an ugly jumper, we're going to change it to make you a more efficient scorer"... Well, as with many pitchers, the exact opposite has happened... his shooting has gotten dramatically worse in the pros.
Either that or total lack of confidence as others have noted...you don't just go from 70% to 40% unless something drastic changes. While he's never been an offensive juggernaut, he was at least serviceable in college and could blend in. Now he looks so out of place and uncomfortable that it is almost cringe worthy at times.

Come to think of it, all the OKC players seem struck by the same offensive ineptitude to the point that I wonder if its simply the "Wesbrook effect." When you have a guy hogging the ball for 40 minutes its hard to get into a rhythm and all the more pressure when you get it

Last edited:
Back