What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rock, meet bottom

Drewdown

I never thought we were going to be this bad. This is going to take years to dig out of. I am not giving up on Embree and EB. I think they have what it takes to bring us back. With that being said, I ****ing hate Dan Hawkins. Can't believe his dumbass thought this place was burned to the ground prior to his arrival. Dude was the gasoline and Cody was the match. I'm still in Cody's corner but I have never hated someone like I do Hawkins. What a ****ing douchebag mother ****er son of a bitch.

Blame Dr. Phil, Benson and Bohn too...this admin just wants a balanced AD budget, as few headaches as possible and the suckers to keep donating and buying season tickets. Bohn has never presided over a winning FB team. I used to think that was just a product of where he was, I don't anymore.

Phil and Benson were the two biggest Hawk supporters after 2009. Keeping Hawk around dug the hole even deeper.

Our team has won 1 game over halfway through the year, there is no calming down. We are an embarrassment to everyone who went to school at CU

having been here before with CU, i can say that you should maintain a glimmer of hope. CU is a good academic school. it is a beautiful campus, and while some discount this, if you compare it to most other campuses, it really stands out, and that matters to some recruits. being in the p12 will help recruit calif. talent, too. the world is not going to end. when fairbanks was there and then even when Mac took over, the thought of beating the fuskers or qualifying for a bowl game were distant, distant dreams.

CU has a lot of advantages. with the right coach, great things can be achieved. many schools have no legitimate chance of competing for national championships. that is not the case at CU.

so, take heart. it is horrible now... as bad as i personally have seen, but there is hope-- this feels to me like 1982. if so, we've got a few more years of pain to go, but then good things may happen.

not a lot any of us can do other than wait. I will cheer loudly when this sr. class finishes eligibility and moves on. I walked my dogs during most of second half then watched TT beat OU.

Our team has won 1 game over halfway through the year, there is no calming down. We are an embarrassment to everyone who went to school at CU

That's a little extreme...yes, the team sucks, but that does not make us, the fans/alums embarrassed, or an embarrassment - I'm very proud to rep my university whenever possible, regardless of how the football team does (and that includes today, where I just got back from the Wiscy-MSU game sporting my yellow CU hoodie in a sea of green)...

That's a little extreme...yes, the team sucks, but that does not make us, the fans/alums embarrassed, or an embarrassment - I'm very proud to rep my university whenever possible, regardless of how the football team does (and that includes today, where I just got back from the Wiscy-MSU game sporting my yellow CU hoodie in a sea of green)...

Lucky dog - best game of the year. Alums like myself will always be proud of CU - like you said. I am hoping that this season is a "tear it down" before you "build it back up" season. That said, it is getting really embarrassing to rock the CU gear around town.

This isn't so bad. Without years of total support, this team wouldn't have reached this level. We need to give this coaching staff equal support so they can take us to a new level, just like Hawkins did. Look at Hawkins' great reputation coming in, too!

And he was able to recruit #1 running backs out of Southern Calif so talent wasn't the issue. Without all that great support, CU wouldn't be where it is today. Give more support (and a less-than-idiotic punt-return), and we can see more performances like this. Or worse!

The Pac-12 loves us, and we knew they would!

This isn't so bad. Without years of total support, this team wouldn't have reached this level. We need to give this coaching staff equal support so they can take us to a new level, just like Hawkins did. Look at Hawkins' great reputation coming in, too!

And he was able to recruit #1 running backs out of Southern Calif so talent wasn't the issue. Without all that great support, CU wouldn't be where it is today. Give more support (and a less-than-idiotic punt-return), and we can see more performances like this. Or worse!

The Pac-12 loves us, and we knew they would!

Clark, you're scaring me. Are you okay?
images

We haven't lost to a Drake or Montana State this year so we are not rock bottom. Our schedule is almost entirely bowl teams and we beat the one team we were supposed to. We suck, but we're not worse than Indiana or Minnesota who have also been buried in years of futility. If we lose to CSU and that FCS team next year I'll bump this thread and rep everybody who replies after me with an expletive involving my mother.

Blame Dr. Phil, Benson and Bohn too...this admin just wants a balanced AD budget, as few headaches as possible and the suckers to keep donating and buying season tickets. Bohn has never presided over a winning FB team. I used to think that was just a product of where he was, I don't anymore.

This. There is no way out of this disaster unless we start getting support from the powers that be. I'm not holding my breath.

This. There is no way out of this disaster unless we start getting support from the powers that be. I'm not holding my breath.

I think that support started last year, believe it or not. I think they saw the ginormous mistake they made with keeping Hawkins, and let Bohn sh*t can him before the end of the season. A year late and several million dollars short, but I really think they're coming around. That may sound disingenuous, but I do believe it.

I just don't understand why the administration wouldn't want a successful athletic department. Successful athletic programs gain exposure for the school which leads to more money. This Harvard of the West attitude is old. Maybe in the Big 12 we were, but now UCLA, Cal, Stanford, UW, and USC are all higher ranked than us. I just don't get it, but I also don't get protesting Mac in the homecoming parade either, Boulder you confuse me.

I think that support started last year, believe it or not. I think they saw the ginormous mistake they made with keeping Hawkins, and let Bohn sh*t can him before the end of the season. A year late and several million dollars short, but I really think they're coming around. That may sound disingenuous, but I do believe it.
They are going to have to show me....I see nothing that changes my point of view. I think Embo and Bieniemy will bust their hump to win, but I am not at all sure the rest of the gang wants anything but to give the impression of wanting success, without actually having to deal with a successful FB program.

I hope so. They showed support for bball and it certainly seems to be paying off. Time to really get going on the major improvements needed for football, so recruits can have something to latch on to at CU. I know money is tight, but we have future revenue to borrow against. It's time to go all in, double down, whatever, because we are losing this thing quickly. Give the coaching staff the support they need to succeed.

I have no idea whether there's a capital campaign going on to build the practice facility & finance the stadium improvements or not. I certainly hope there is. I know that the public part of these campaigns is always at the back end. I'm hopeful that they have been raising money and are close to some kind of announcement on a timeline. CUFan is absolutely correct - we need to get some things put in motion right now. They can announce a timeline for completion of the project, and always extend it later on if need be. The important thing is that they can't be seen as doing nothing at all. Immediate action is necessary.

I have no idea whether there's a capital campaign going on to build the practice facility & finance the stadium improvements or not. I certainly hope there is. I know that the public part of these campaigns is always at the back end. I'm hopeful that they have been raising money and are close to some kind of announcement on a timeline. CUFan is absolutely correct - we need to get some things put in motion right now. They can announce a timeline for completion of the project, and always extend it later on if need be. The important thing is that they can't be seen as doing nothing at all. Immediate action is necessary.

Agree 100%. If we can't improve on the field, let's improve the field! Who is taking us serious right now if we literally have nothing to show? I think Embo and EB will certainly help with recruiting and as they mature, so will our team. For the time being, let's show the recruits and people around the country that we are taking this serious and want a chip in the next several years.

I just don't understand why the administration wouldn't want a successful athletic department. Successful athletic programs gain exposure for the school which leads to more money. This Harvard of the West attitude is old. Maybe in the Big 12 we were, but now UCLA, Cal, Stanford, UW, and USC are all higher ranked than us. I just don't get it, but I also don't get protesting Mac in the homecoming parade either, Boulder you confuse me.

Take this for what it's worth, (and as much as it pains me to say it) but someone who knows Bob Bowlsby (The AD at Stanford) talked to him and he said that by his estimation, having the team they've had the last couple of years has led to a couple hundred million dollars more in donations to the University.

Take this for what it's worth, (and as much as it pains me to say it) but someone who knows Bob Bowlsby (The AD at Stanford) talked to him and he said that by his estimation, having the team they've had the last couple of years has led to a couple hundred million dollars more in donations to the University.

Can Bob give Phil and Bruce a call?

All well and good, but I also recall before CU got reamed in Jacksonville in 2008 the FSU Pres. telling our Pres., if you want $$$ and exposure, emphasize athletics. That piece advice surely took hold...:rolling_eyes: I remain of the opinion the admin. wants a well managed AD. By well managed, I mean balanced budget, few headaches, a perception of being "clean". When the admin. hired MB, I think they knew what they were getting. He is high energy, does a good job at glad handing and raising dough, and balancing a budget. But when the idea of winning comes up against budget, perception or political concerns, from where I sit, winning takes a backseat with MB, and that is just what the admin. wants. To my knowledge MB has never presided over a winning FB program. He is in year six at CU and the trend continues. Does MB want to win? Sure, who doesn't. Is MB going to go all out in pursuit of that goal even if he has to stretch the budget, step on political toes or take a risk that might backfire? Not likely.

I am pulling for Embo and EB and the team, but we do not have the type of Gee, Marolt, Mac leadership that led to a powerhouse program. Brucey, Dr. Phil and MB aren't in the same league....

Last edited:
All well and good, but I also recall before CU got reamed in Jacksonville in 2008 the FSU Pres. telling our Pres., if you want $$$ and exposure, emphasize athletics. That piece advice surely took hold...:rolling_eyes: I remain of the opinion the admin. wants a well managed AD. By well managed, I mean balanced budget, few headaches, a perception of being "clean"

I miss President Gee. Dude woulda buried a body for a high-profile recruit if asked.

If they keep having to raise tuition every year because of the lack of state support then they are going to have to start looking at putting more money into athletics. Right now it costs almost 50k a year to go to CU out of state(tuition, room and board, books, fees etc). While we are a solid school academically, lets be honest, the majority of kids that come to CU out of state are just average students. I read in the BDC a few months ago that for every 5 kids that get accepted to CU from out of state, only 1 ends up enrolling. CU has to admit almost everybody out of state since they need the money to support the school. The acceptance rate ends up being really high because the yield is so low which actually hurts our standing if you look at ranking agencies like US News and World report etc.

While the mountains, decent academics and beautiful campus is a big draw, 50 grand a year is a hell of a lot of money. The average kid at state-u enjoys sporting events and if we had a top 15 type football program and a b-ball program that at least made the tournament more years than not, you might get a bigger percentage of average kids with money that are from out of state that want to go to CU. If more kids apply, you don't have to let as many in which in turn decreases the acceptance rate which in turn helps the standing academically. -- US News uses graduation rate, donation, endowment and acceptance rate as factors that drive the rankings. If Bruce, Mike and Dr. Phil would all sit down and really think about it, QUALITY, GOOD athletics can increaase a lot of these.

Last edited:
Back