What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

(Rumor) Big problems at Oregon?

Holy cow. I think I know how this works. Barnett was a teacher down in the Springs for a while, IIRC. Probably about 10-15 years. He did some coaching at Air Academy, Ft. Lewis, then CU for a while, then Northwestern, then back to CU. All that time in Colorado was spent as a public employee. The way PERA works is that you get a portion of your HIGHEST salary for your pension. The longer you spent in the system, the larger percentage of your highest salary you receive. GB's highest salary was probably around $1.5MM/Yr. So PERA is contractually responsible to pay him a certain percentage of that figure.

Great. Just freaking great.

Selective outrage..... I'm sure there are hundreds, thousands, maybe millions of teachers who are drawing such outrageous amounts from the "taxpayers." You should go to the school where your children are educated and express your outrage.

Holy cow. I think I know how this works. Barnett was a teacher down in the Springs for a while, IIRC. Probably about 10-15 years. He did some coaching at Air Academy, Ft. Lewis, then CU for a while, then Northwestern, then back to CU. All that time in Colorado was spent as a public employee. The way PERA works is that you get a portion of your HIGHEST salary for your pension. The longer you spent in the system, the larger percentage of your highest salary you receive. GB's highest salary was probably around $1.5MM/Yr. So PERA is contractually responsible to pay him a certain percentage of that figure.

You are correct. To reach a normal retirement threshold on the retirement payout chart someone who started with PERA like GB did would have had to reach what is called the rule of 80 meaning a combination of age and years paying into the system. I'm not looking at the chart but it is available on the PERA website. Normally included in that rule of 80 is either 50 years of age and 30 years experience, 55 years of age and 25 years of experience or 60 and 20. Gary spent enough time working in high schools as well as as an assistant at CU that with his HC years he would qualify for a pension of around 67% or his HAS or more. (I can't say exactly without knowing the specific numbers. His HAS would be calculated based on his three highest compensation years as a state employee.

This provision is the reason why so many educators will teach for most of their careers then get an administrators license and work as an administrator for the last 3-5 years with the much higher salaries jumping up their HAS for retirement.

In the most recent revisions to the system future pension recipients will not be able to take full advantage of this provision because of two changes. First the HAS will now be calculated based on the five highest years not three. This means that those who jump in for a big finish as a principal or higher will have to spend longer working into and getting those positions meaning they will be paying in more. Also since these people will be in these positions longer fewer opportunities to enter these positions will exist so fewer will be able to take advantage.

The bigger revision is that there is now a 15% cap on year to year increases in full time compensation as used for calculating these pensions. Because of this a principal or central office administrator who is make say $100,000 a year who steps up to a superintendants position for a mid to smaller sized school district would recieve a salary of around $150,000. He or she would only be able to count $115,000 in the first year of the job and an additional 15% each following year until the actual salary was reached.

In Barnetts case he would not have been able to count close to the full amount of his HC salary towards his HAS calculation.

I still think that there should be some form of overall cap on the size of these pensions beyond these revisions but it is a start.

there will come a day, and i hope i am here to see it, that mtn will respond with "yep". nothing else.

and i will completely miss it because i will see his user name and just scroll down because i had just finished reading "War and Peace" that day and didnt feel like reading something longer than that.

:smile2:

Sure... there are big problems at Oregon which are perpetrated by the enormous tax burden imposed by the public employees' scavenging upon the body politic. What else did you think?

I thought BCS was asking what Mtn reads on the crapper

The eternal problem with internet blogs, among others, is the superficial nature of the communication and the subtle variation of signals among the various solitary communicants which may, or may not hit the appropriate hot buttons of meaning, if you know what I mean.

The eternal problem with internet blogs, among others, is the superficial nature of the communication and the subtle variation of signals among the various solitary communicants which may, or may not hit the appropriate hot buttons of meaning, if you know what I mean.
Oh, I get ya.

Yes. I find the best of them are deeply superficial.

Selective outrage..... I'm sure there are hundreds, thousands, maybe millions of teachers who are drawing such outrageous amounts from the "taxpayers." You should go to the school where your children are educated and express your outrage.

Millions of teachers are collecting $600 GRAND a year in pension? That's selective outrage? Really?

Back to the OP.... Buffnik - the guy who posted that on Rivals said he "heard it from some Duck fans". Didn't see it anywhere. It's never shown up anywhere that I can tell except on the CU Rivals site, and then it was posted as a question on the Rivals MainBoard, where nobody had heard one thing.

Unfortunately, I think this is attributable to one random poster. Seems unlikely that a Buff fan would "hear this from Duck Fans", yet no Duck fan who posts online has stated one iota about it!

Unfortunately, I think this is attributable to one random poster. Seems unlikely that a Buff fan would "hear this from Duck Fans", yet no Duck fan who posts online has stated one iota about it!

Don't know anything about the OP rumor, but we already know Oregon paid for players in the recent past. Bound to get caught one of these days ...

Don't know anything about the OP rumor, but we already know Oregon paid for players in the recent past. Bound to get caught one of these days ...

I thought America was innocent until proven guilty? Last I checked the Ducks were never convicted by the NCAA and all you have are the words of a guy who change his story 3-4 times for money.

I thought America was innocent until proven guilty? Last I checked the Ducks were never convicted by the NCAA and all you have are the words of a guy who change his story 3-4 times for money.
this aint no criminal trial, and Oregon aint a citizen. Your argument holds no water. You knows Oregon was sleazin it up, come on now.

That said, I really look forward to Kelly's ascension to the NFL. His attitude is already NFL like. He's the Bill Belichick of college.

nothing to see here - keep moving... oh, I thought I was working at the ncaa office, my bad....

nothing will be done

Should have used the sarcasm font. Expressing outrage about just Gary Barnett is selective.

Gotcha - I thought you were saying my selective outrage was focused on public employees. Not the case.

this aint no criminal trial, and Oregon aint a citizen. Your argument holds no water. You knows Oregon was sleazin it up, come on now.

That said, I really look forward to Kelly's ascension to the NFL. His attitude is already NFL like. He's the Bill Belichick of college.

Not sure why Kelly moving to the NFL keeps being brought up. Sure he can change his style of offense, but last I checked a true read option is not going to be super successful in the NFL. The only job that Duck fans were worried about was Penn State when Joe Pa retired, but now with the scandal that job is a backwards move for Chip.

Actually Ringo's number has to be way off....Barnett's base salary would be the only thing eligible for the PERA. I think his base was around 200,000. Remember items like coaches show, golf memberships, camps, etc do not count towards PERA. Eye Balling that Barnett had 25 years in as a state employee and is 65 he probably gets about 60% of his 3 highest years...probably $120,000 a year. A lot of money but not outrageous. A teacher who has 35 years in and ended as a HS principal or administrator at the end of their career could do just as well.

Actually Ringo's number has to be way off....Barnett's base salary would be the only thing eligible for the PERA. I think his base was around 200,000. Remember items like coaches show, golf memberships, camps, etc do not count towards PERA. Eye Balling that Barnett had 25 years in as a state employee and is 65 he probably gets about 60% of his 3 highest years...probably $120,000 a year. A lot of money but not outrageous. A teacher who has 35 years in and ended as a HS principal or administrator at the end of their career could do just as well.

What you're saying makes sense, but then Ringo would have to be pulling numbers out of his ass... Oh, wait. Yeah, that's probably exactly what is happening.

Last I checked the Ducks were never convicted by the NCAA and all you have are the words of a guy who change his story 3-4 times for money.

According to state documents, Oregon dealt a huge check for a recruiting booklet that had NO current players. It was a year late and even included a kid who had died. Then all of a sudden, boom, bigtime recruit signed.

Textbook paying for players.

According to state documents, Oregon dealt a huge check for a recruiting booklet that had NO current players. It was a year late and even included a kid who had died. Then all of a sudden, boom, bigtime recruit signed.

Textbook paying for players.

Clearly you are out of date since they released 2 more lists that were up to date.

Millions of teachers are collecting $600 GRAND a year in pension? That's selective outrage? Really?

No. Like Mountain said GB is probably realizing that money via a loophole that was closed after he started. Because his pay at CU was so high he probably gets sometime like 50% of the average of his best 3 years. Which was $1.5mm. He's probably depleting the fund faster than it can be replenished though.

Isn't it considered a major violation when the head coach wears a visor?

Back