What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rumor has it -- Calhoun

If the search committee is anything like the last search (Neinas), it'll get the list down to ~5 candidates that are interested in CU and then it's Bohn's decision. If Calhoun makes the 5, and if Bohn really is set on him like the rumors seem to imply, then I'm guessing that's the direction Bohn goes.

I'm just hoping Bohn goes into this process with an open mind and no favorites before really evaluating the candidates.

here's the thing,

What rumors? Two guys on a message board who hate mike bohn and have a clear bent to get a glory-days hire? yeah they wouldn't put out complete bull-**** just to further their own agenda.

I am not sure if this is the real deal or not, but I would be HUGELY underwhelmed with Calhoun. CU simply cannot afford to botch this hire. Another dud coach would put CU on par with Wazzu until the next Mac-like miracle worker came along ...and who knows how long that would be.

I have reservations about Mac, but there is NOBODY who would galvanize the fanbase, donors, alums and former players the way the man wearing the MNC ring can. He can recruit and assemble a staff, which is about 75% of the job. He is the lowest risk, highest return HC out there IMO. Plus he would probably work for less than most any other comparable coach, which sells politically.

Is he a can't miss proposition? No, there is no such thing, but he is as close as you are going to get.

There are other great candidates, Miles Richt and Belotti are probably longshots, but would likely do an excellent job. After that, you are hiring OC's or DC's or another successful mid-major HC. Honestly, it is the second group that CU will likely end up drawing from and that is no better than a crap shoot.

Unfair as it may be, Calhoun is simply a vanilla choice and since he is coming from the AFA, it makes CU look like it just scoops up what ever HC is at a nearby smaller school to fill positions. (i.e. Boyle, Lappe, Bzdelik) It just looks small time and will not do much to energize the fans, alums, donors etc. to get behind the program. It would be a very risky hire IMO, because the ONLY way people get excited by a Calhoun led Buff team is being in the 8+ W category year in and year out.

Last edited:
If there is any chance that Calhoun will decline, we better run away right now. The last thing we need is to be turned down by a mid-major coach who we are likely above anyways. That's when stuff starts spiraling down, and everyone that you offer starts turning you down (see Oregon's basketball coach search this year).

If there is any chance that Calhoun will decline, we better run away right now. The last thing we need is to be turned down by a mid-major coach who we are likely above anyways. That's when stuff starts spiraling down, and everyone that you offer starts turning you down (see Oregon's basketball coach search this year).

or nebraska with Cally.

Fortunately, Colorado has a good fall back coach who has previously won a national championship for the school.

I dont think calhoun wants to come to colorado, he wants to stay at air force untill he moves to the pros.

We will see. There will be other rumors that pop up in the next 2 weeks and they will be just that, rumors. This process is going to play out with some thinking they have the scoop and most will be wrong. I am enjoying the process but I am not going to get upset yet. Being upset once the hire is made is completely different though than saying I will not support a coach and hope for the best once it is done. Hopefully we all do not have to go there. Enjoy the ride until we know.

We will see. There will be other rumors that pop up in the next 2 weeks and they will be just that, rumors. This process is going to play out with some thinking they have the scoop and most will be wrong. I am enjoying the process but I am not going to get upset yet. Being upset once the hire is made is completely different though than saying I will not support a coach and hope for the best once it is done. Hopefully we all do not have to go there. Enjoy the ride until we know.
so far I'm not enjoying this ride very much...

here's the thing,

What rumors? Two guys on a message board who hate mike bohn and have a clear bent to get a glory-days hire? yeah they wouldn't put out complete bull-**** just to further their own agenda.
Whether this is ALL originating from a few guys on a message board or not, it's still rumors. Just like it was a rumor that Bohn was targeting Calhoun last year had Hawk been fired. All rumor and speculation.. I don't necessarily buy into all of it, but I would again emphasize that I want this to be a real search and an open search. IF Calhoun is the guy after that, fine. But I don't want Bohn going into this "search" pretty much knowing that Calhoun is his man if Calhoun will accept.

If there is any chance that Calhoun will decline, we better run away right now. The last thing we need is to be turned down by a mid-major coach who we are likely above anyways......

I was thinking along the same lines earlier this morning. If Calhoun were offered, and declined, I wonder how the alums, boosters, and doners would react? Really not sure.

I will support the Buffs and whoever becomes the new coach. However, Calhoun is not first on my wish list.

Not suggesting it will be Calhoun.....but this sounds like all the other Bohn searches to me, sadly.
Absolutely agree. That's been his MO for just about all his hires (at least from what I've been able to follow), and this is not a hire we can afford to mess up with a preselected Bohn favorite.

Whether this is ALL originating from a few guys on a message board or not, it's still rumors. Just like it was a rumor that Bohn was targeting Calhoun last year had Hawk been fired. All rumor and speculation.. I don't necessarily buy into all of it, but I would again emphasize that I want this to be a real search and an open search. IF Calhoun is the guy after that, fine. But I don't want Bohn going into this "search" pretty much knowing that Calhoun is his man if Calhoun will accept.

Last year he was targeting McElwain, not Calhoun. As for this rumor, I'm not worried about it. Don't see it happening. If it does, I'll be shocked, kinda pissed, kinda sick, and full of more low expectations.

do you all honestly believe that:

(a) a decision has been made before the search committee has been announced?

(b) a decision has been made before a series of interviews has been conducted?

(c) an agreeement has already been reached with a coach who still has games to play?

(d) the committee, just now formed, will feel good about hiring ANOTHER air force coach away (there are local politics and feelings to be considered)

(e) bohn will risk hiring another junior-leaguer without gauging interest from BIG names?

(f) Mac won't be able to swing this thing, one way or another (to him or to cabral or EB for example)?

let me be clear... i have no inside info but i believe this rumor to be 100% complete BULL****. i think the person(s) who are spreading this rumor around have a clear agenda. he (they) want a particular coach hired at any cost. and, so, they have selected the most polarizing possible candidate that would be credible (if they thought they could get away with it, they would have used logan as the foil). i believe the goal is to generate so much rage that the committee feels compelled to hire their candidate ahead of all others.

i believe that this effort is disinformation and that it may ultimately backfire in the faces of those who believe it will help to drive support into the camp of the coach they have selected as "best."

look at some of the names popping up...

Mac
richt
miles
belotti

and, yet, said posters would have us all believe that the committee has zeroed in on calhoun without even fully exploring the interests of the named candidates above.

this is ridiculous.

and, yet, said posters would have us all believe that the committee has zeroed in on calhoun without even fully exploring the interests of the named candidates above.

this is ridiculous.
Really? Look at MB's track record. He's done exactly this with Bz and Hawk. When Mike sees a guy he likes, he seems to get some kind of tunnel vision. When Hawk was hired, I think he gave one token interview to Embree, just to say he did. With Bz, it was clear this was the guy MB wanted from the very start.

It doesn't sound that ridiculous to me.

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Really? Look at MB's track record. He's done exactly this with Bz and Hawk. When Mike sees a guy he likes, he seems to get some kind of tunnel vision.

I hope I'm wrong.

no, you aren't wrong, which is why the disinformation campaign "smells" like it has some truth in it. but, i think bohn likes boulder and his job far more than he likes any particular candidate. if he lone-rangers another hire and it doesn't work out, then he is toast for sure. on the other hand, if he selects a "consensus" pick that most of the constituencies, both on and off the committee, are supporting, then he might survive even if the hire doesn't work out.

of course, maybe i am applying too much logic. but, i don't think bohn is dumb and i think he wants to stay in boulder and he wants to make a great hire.

no, you aren't wrong, which is why the disinformation campaign "smells" like it has some truth in it. but, i think bohn likes boulder and his job far more than he likes any particular candidate. if he lone-rangers another hire and it doesn't work out, then he is toast for sure. on the other hand, if he selects a "consensus" pick that most of the constituencies, both on and off the committee, are supporting, then he might survive even if the hire doesn't work out.

of course, maybe i am applying too much logic. but, i don't think bohn is dumb and i think he wants to stay in boulder and he wants to make a great hire.

I fear he may wnat to make a great hire the way I would like to be able to dunk a basketball.....

he wants to make a great hire.

Wanting a great hire is not the same as making a great hire. Hence the panic here. The losses over the last five years have left too many scars.

I for one want to believe he is conducting a thorough search and the right person for the job will be hired.

Wanting a great hire is not the same as making a great hire. Hence the panic here. The losses over the last five years have left too many scars.

I for one want to believe he is conducting a thorough search and the right person for the job will be hired.
Same here.

The last thing I'll say about this is it seems like this hire would really alienate a lot of the donors and boosters we still have for the program with this hire. I think at this point with our finances the way they are you have to get a hire that people are excited about i.e. Mac and EB in some coaching role. How can Bohn continue to expect us to support the program if you don't give the people what they want?

But there are some "people" who don't want Mac or EB. At least don't want either one of them without an honest search for viable candidates. The problem is that "the people" don't speak with a unified voice.

Last year he was targeting McElwain, not Calhoun. As for this rumor, I'm not worried about it. Don't see it happening. If it does, I'll be shocked, kinda pissed, kinda sick, and full of more low expectations.

Theres a word for that, you know. Upsetness.

I feel sick to my stomach.

:puke:

Then maybe you need to be more careful about what you swallow. I'd start by cutting back on crap rumors.

Right now we have NOTHING that says Bohn has fixated on Calhoun except a bunch of rumors, all of which are coming from basically the same source - a group with a known anti-Bohn, pro EB agenda. Maybe they've learned some inside info this time and are playing it straight, but by far the simplest explanation is that these rumors amount to nothing more than the "scoop" from the same source the night of the KU game that Bohn was keeping Hawk all season. Whatever portrays Bohn in the worst possible light, these guys post "scoop" that it's happening in order to try to whip up some kind of fan backlash frenzy against Bohn and try to push the coaching search in the direction they want.

I put all this in exactly the same category I put the Les Miles and Bohn to KU rumors in. RUMORS. And at least BCS is up front about his attention whoring agenda..... :smile2:

Back