What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rumor: Rick George taking Vandy AD job - ****OLD THREAD**** +++NO 2022 NEWS+++

I am just spitballing. I would observe there was nothing on MacCartney or Bob Stoops record as HC either before they went off. And, it's Vandy.
Wrong. Coach Mac, along with other successful head coaches are exemplary at X and O's and have served as assistant coaches to understand their roles. Mac was a wizard in HS and College. He was a hidden gem, a known entity but a risk because he had not been a HC. CU needs another up and coming coach who knows X's and O's, yet realizes the value of recruiting. Mac was known, but not as a HC - but he knew football and was known throughout Michigan!

Wrong. Coach Mac, along with other successful head coaches are exemplary at X and O's and have served as assistant coaches to understand their roles. Mac was a wizard in HS and College. He was a hidden gem, a known entity but a risk because he had not been a HC. CU needs another up and coming coach who knows X's and O's, yet realizes the value of recruiting. Mac was known, but not as a HC - but he knew football and was known throughout Michigan!
Yeah. McCartney was known as an ace recruiter who had gone from being a legend in Michigan HS football to mentoring under one of the all-time elite coaches at an all-time elite program as the DC. The "risk" with him was mostly that he's a different kind of dude who has always worn his passions on his sleeve and refused to edit himself. Being authentic was a big part of what made him great and was also what caused a lot of problems the university had to live with on the PR front.

So why would someone resign from such a sweet gig?

The guy who is resigning is 70 and becoming a professor in the law school. Also, like some have said, he took over the job when they moved their athletics into the student life department yet somehow did a hell of job.

Here's the thing with RG - you guys have to consider life stage. As Van Diest's dad just pointed out on 247, RG's daughter is a Physician's Assistant who works for McCarty in Boulder. His grandchildren are in Boulder. A man does not leave that situation and ask his wife to leave that situation unless the job has become bad or the opportunity is something that dramatically changes things with generational wealth. I'd be shocked if RG left.

In reality, why can't Vanderbilt excel in athletics like Stanford, Notre Dame and Duke? Nashville is always on the list of best places to live and has become a hot destination for the millennial folks. Being in the SEC has to help with lots of TV $$. It's an extremely desirable academic destination so for the athletes that excel in the classroom I have to think it would be on your short list of schools to go to.

I attended Vandy in the late 80’s. It’s undergrad numbers were about 4,500 (with top 25 University admission requirements and costs). The rest of the SEC - at the time - were all huge public Universities at 30,000 to 45,000 undergrad (many with near walk-in admission levels).

(Interestingly, I think I was at Vandy at the same time MM was there.)

There was always discussion of why we were in the SEC in the first place. Answer was $$$

I remember when DiNardo came to HC Vandy. It was hilarious, as he brought CU (McCartney-ism) to Vandy. We ran the I-bone, had CU’s uniforms - even the same colors and helmets, and we even had a Hagen knock-off that we ran ads for a Heisman campaign (went nowhere). We tied Georgia 13-13 (on a last second field goal). That was the high water, storm-the-field mark.

Vandy is very competative in Baseball now - was in the final of the college World Series, and we have had good Basketball. We were really improving in Football before the coach was plucked by Penn State for insane offer (sounds familiar again).

Last edited:
Sorry about that, I'll try to remember to keep mu spitballing to my self in the future.

So, who is that hidden gem out there for us, since you seem to know?

If this is true, the ONLY thing that makes any sense is that if RG has his eye on a new coach and has a plan to take football back to national relevance but is getting push-back from higher ups due to the buyout cost of the MM contract. It would suck for him to be in a situation like that and, if so, I could see him wanting to find a more amenable situation. Not sure if Vandy would fit that bill, though. I can't imagine the president's office would be stupid enough to put the handcuffs on. Nothing would be worse than keeping MM and losing RG.

If this is true, the ONLY thing that makes any sense is that if RG has his eye on a new coach and has a plan to take football back to national relevance but is getting push-back from higher ups due to the buyout cost of the MM contract. It would suck for him to be in a situation like that and, if so, I could see him wanting to find a more amenable situation. Not sure if Vandy would fit that bill, though. I can't imagine the president's office would be stupid enough to put the handcuffs on. Nothing would be worse than keeping MM and losing RG.

There is some truth to this thought line. If RG is leaving to Vandy it because something changed with his vision for CU athletics and executing it properly. Most likely would be CU Admin related. In that case your worries are over because you can just stop worrying about CU football and move on to more interesting things.

I don't believe there is any concern with RG leaving though.

What is the thoughts of Rick George's push (with Lance Carl) to make the changes to the offensive coaching staff (i.e. pushing Chev into the role)? Do you want an AD who has a football guy (LC) meddling at that level. Will that fly with the next coach?

What is the thoughts of Rick George's push (with Lance Carl) to make the changes to the offensive coaching staff (i.e. pushing Chev into the role)? Do you want an AD who has a football guy (LC) meddling at that level. Will that fly with the next coach?

I always have concern when a big boss starts to meddle further down the food chain. YET there are instances when it can be reasonable if not expected.

MM's team trajectory was decent, yet there were some glaring weaknesses and the buck stops with RG so he asked his subordinate (MM) to make some changes.
Each year I ask my subordinates to do and not do certain things, it's part of being a supervisor and developing and improving those who work for you in the spirit of achieving goals and success.

Poor MM.

Hopefully the next coach needs less meddling.

One concern is the short shelf life of CU President Benson. I don't recall his retire date but I believe they are in the search. Do the Regents (and now we have some new ones from the election) care about the success of athletics and will they hire a President with among their various duties who will care about and empower the AD to build a more successful program(s)? As much as there was moaning on this board about Benson maybe 5 years ago, I think he has done a reasonable job regarding athletics. No, this isn't Texas, Michigan or Alabama. But....
-Hire RG, let him fundraise and build SIGNIFICANT facilities
-Ease recruiting restrictions
-Improvement to fb assistant pay, contract duration exemptions

One concern is the short shelf life of CU President Benson. I don't recall his retire date but I believe they are in the search. Do the Regents (and now we have some new ones from the election) care about the success of athletics and will they hire a President with among their various duties who will care about and empower the AD to build a more successful program(s)? As much as there was moaning on this board about Benson maybe 5 years ago, I think he has done a reasonable job regarding athletics. No, this isn't Texas, Michigan or Alabama. But....
-Hire RG, let him fundraise and build SIGNIFICANT facilities
-Ease recruiting restrictions
-Improvement to fb assistant pay, contract duration exemptions

Not sure exactly about the makeup of the regents as a whole, but I know that there is at least 1, if not 2, big athletic supporters on the President search committee.

Not sure exactly about the makeup of the regents as a whole, but I know that there is at least 1, if not 2, big athletic supporters on the President search committee.
8554841_fpx.tif

For reals- if RG leaves and MM stays I just might quit being a CU football fan. I'll still cheer on the basketball teams but I'm too emotionally invested in a program that is on ~year 13 of being an embarassment with seemingly no plan nor commitment to getting better.

For reals- if RG leaves and MM stays I just might quit being a CU football fan. I'll still cheer on the basketball teams but I'm too emotionally invested in a program that is on ~year 13 of being an embarassment with seemingly no plan nor commitment to getting better.
That would be a hard thing to stomach and be able to continue with.

So true. What worries me is worst case scenario is losing RG and subsequently retaining MM after a 5-7 season...which unfortunately means it is very likely to happen.

Back