What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rutgers' Mike Rice on thin ice

A winning coach absolutely would have not lost his job over this. There would have been consequences, but if Rice's record was 244-51 and well-established at Rutgers instead of 44-51, he would NOT be fired, nor would Pernetti be forced out. The Pernetti situation is what irks me the most. 50k fine, non payment for the games he was out and the suspension shows Pernetti took action. The man (Pernetti) does not deserve his career utterly ended over this.

I think there's a chicken and the egg problem here. Looking at those videos, it looks like Rice lost that team. The question then becomes if he went to that behavior because the kids weren't responding, or the kids weren't responding because of his coaching methods.

I think there's a chicken and the egg problem here. Looking at those videos, it looks like Rice lost that team. The question then becomes if he went to that behavior because the kids weren't responding, or the kids weren't responding because of his coaching methods.

Yeah. I think the question of "if he'd been successful" is rendered irrelevant. You can't behave that way to players and be successful. You can't retain players to transfer. Word gets out and recruiting suffers. You lose the team you're left with. He crossed the line between building toughness and breaking confidence.

anyone who has been at AB for the last decade knows i am no fan of university administrators...and was a grad student and teacher at CU for a decade or more.....but the faculty and students having a go at the Rutger's prez will almost surely be about accumulated campus angst and not this episode.

there needs to be some analytic distinctions set forth. students will likely be lackeys for faculty issues anyway.

universities are SO dysfunctional.

old days or new times, no way Rice can keep his job after this. right or wrong, internet or Bobby Knight (who did get Tech job after his IU thing)......no way momma is sending her beautiful boy to play for Mike Rice. that's a practical decision Rutgers had to make. you can't recruit to losses and abuse.

i keep hearing Rutgers is a sleeping giant....but no one seems to win there, do they? Schiano was a hot name for a bit....now? not so much.

Last edited:
anyone who has been at AB for the last decade knows i am no fan of university administrators...and was a grad student and teacher at CU for a decade or more.....but the faculty and students having a go at the Rutger's prez will almost surely be about accumulated campus angst and not this episode.

there needs to be some analytic distinctions set forth. students will likely be lackeys for faculty issues anyway.

universities are SO dysfunctional.

old days or new times, no way Rice can keep his job after this. right or wrong, internet or Bobby Knight (who did get Tech job after his IU thing)......no way momma is sending her beautiful boy to play for Mike Rice. that's a practical decision Rutgers had to make. you can't recruit to losses and abuse.

i keep hearing Rutgers is a sleeping giant....but no one seems to win there, do they? Schiano was a hot name for a bit....now? not so much.

Well, Schiano is in the NFL now and his replacement went 9-4 his first year. I really believe the B1G presents huge opportunity for Rutgers. Much more so than Maryland, actually. Rutgers basketball will wake up. It's far overdue -- this may be a rise from the ashes sort of scenario.

Holy.****.

1. Forgot the details of a public court case in which she was dragged through the mud?

2. Forgot the letter sent by players that was so damning she quit?

WTF Rutgers?

I'm not saying that this woman, based on her more recent performance (assuming it really was stellar for the last 16 years), shouldn't be given a chance as an AD. But that's not a risk that Rutgers should have been willing to take. Stupid.

Holy.****.
WTF Rutgers?

I need some help from a Connecticut feminist.
Do the Rutgers mascots look too rapey?
any5uzur.jpg

a9e3uzug.jpg

e5eze3ub.jpg

Holy.****.

1. Forgot the details of a public court case in which she was dragged through the mud?

2. Forgot the letter sent by players that was so damning she quit?

WTF Rutgers?

I'm not saying that this woman, based on her more recent performance (assuming it really was stellar for the last 16 years), shouldn't be given a chance as an AD. But that's not a risk that Rutgers should have been willing to take. Stupid.

Another favorite lost memory is that she didn't even recall being a bridesmaid at a wedding at which she was videotaped making incriminating comments (she even caught the bouquet).

Another favorite lost memory is that she didn't even recall being a bridesmaid at a wedding at which she was videotaped making incriminating comments (she even caught the bouquet).

In her defense, I saw that video, and it's quite clear that she's: A) Clearly making a joke about simply having a baby and B) Says absolutely nothing along the lines of "Don't have a baby". It's just utterly false, at least in that video.

In her defense, I saw that video, and it's quite clear that she's: A) Clearly making a joke about simply having a baby and B) Says absolutely nothing along the lines of "Don't have a baby". It's just utterly false, at least in that video.

She claims to not even remember the wedding. Must've been roofied.

They were saying on ESPN radio that the $70k was for a search firm to vet candidates and provide a list. Hermann was someone the powers that be decided to target despite her name not appearing on the search firm's list of recommended candidates.

And so the president was like, "what about her?" and then the vice chancellor for AD searches sez, "well sir, she doesn't even appear on the list" and the president's all like, "what could possibly go wrong?"

And so the president was like, "what about her?" and then the vice chancellor for AD searches sez, "well sir, she doesn't even appear on the list" and the president's all like, "what could possibly go wrong?"

Schlereth had a great line. He said, "This is like if, back in my scholastic career, I'd paid someone to take a test for me and then on the day of the test said -"Nevermind. Keep the money. I got this! - even though I hadn't studied."

Back