What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ryan Day - Head Coach Ohio State Buckeyes

lawdogg

Club Member
Club Member
upload_2018-11-19_10-49-30.jpeg

Organization: The Ohio State University

Current Position: Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach

http://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/coach/ryan-day/

Former Positions:
2002New Hampshire (TE)
2003–2004Boston College (GA)
2005Florida (GA)
2006Temple (WR)
2007-2011Boston College (WR)
2012Temple (OC/WR)
2013-2014Boston College (OC/QB)
2015Philadelphia Eagles (QB)
2016San Francisco 49ers (QB)
2017Ohio State (Co-OC/QB)
2018–presentOhio State (OC/QB)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Notable Recruits:
Garrett Wilson - WR (5*)
Harry Miller - OC (5*)
Jack Miller - QB (4*)
Josh Haden - RB (4*)
Dwan Mathis - QB (4*)
Matthew Baldwin - QB (4*)
Okechuckwu Okoroha - S (4*)

Bruce Feldman has an article out in the Athletic and mentions Day as a possible name to keep an eye on. He's never really done a college stint in this region, and a lot of speculation that he is the heir apparent at tOSU, but figured I would toss it out there.

This is worth considering. My big question with him is that he seems to have made it so that tOSU can't run the ball any more. That's a red flag for me.

This is worth considering. My big question with him is that he seems to have made it so that tOSU can't run the ball any more. That's a red flag for me.
An Urban team that can't run the ball is a huge outlier, so agreed on the red flag. But you'd have to interview him if he was interested.

Looks like Urban Meyer might be done? Looks like Day won't be available. Not that Cowherd is a trustworthy source

His offenses at Boston College do concern me a little, interesting how he's become so hyped since then off of 2 years with Chip Kelly. Obviously there must be something special about him but it does make me wonder.

Last edited:
His terrible offenses at Boston College do concern me a little, interesting how he's become so hyped since then off of 2 years with Chip Kelly. Obviously there must be something special about him but it does make me wonder.
The two years with Chip are nice, but the fact that the Buckeyes chose Day to coach the team while Urb was suspended are telling. Also, a majority of OSU fans want Day to takeover as HC in the event Urban leaves. That speaks volumes as to how highly regarded he is to that program.

The two years with Chip are nice, but the fact that the Buckeyes chose Day to coach the team while Urb was suspended are telling. Also, a majority of OSU fans want Day to takeover as HC in the event Urban leaves. That speaks volumes as to how highly regarded he is to that program.
I agree, which was my point, how he got to that point in 4 years is kind of crazy. I don't know, a disgruntled BC fan brought up his time there to me, so it stuck in my head. Probably doesn't mean a whole lot now comparatively.

I prefer someone who has recruiting ties and success on the West coast and/or Texas, so Lake, Holgosen and Tedford are my faves.

Because people don't like the moral compass of Urban Meyer and therefore nix everyone associated with that program. It's stupid. College football is the ultimate hypocrisy and sausage factory. I bet there are fans at ****ty G5 programs saying, "I'd stay away from Mike MacIntyre because I'd rather have someone from a cleaner program than Colorado"

Urban Meyer is 80-9 is almost 6 seasons at Ohio State. His teams have finished in the Top 10 all 5 of his seasons with 1 national championship. 10-1 this year and poised to be in the playoffs with a win this week (with a loss, they probably win a bowl game as the B1G #3 and finish 11-2 in the Top 10).

At Florida, in 6 seasons he went 65-15 with 2 national championships.

At Utah, in 2 seasons he went 22-2 with an undefeated season.

At Bowling Green, he went 17-6 in 2 seasons at a job no one wanted and people thought he was insane for taking.

For those of you who are saying that you don't want anyone whose career has been tied to Urban's -- WTF are your priorities?

Urban Meyer is 80-9 is almost 6 seasons at Ohio State. His teams have finished in the Top 10 all 5 of his seasons with 1 national championship. 10-1 this year and poised to be in the playoffs with a win this week (with a loss, they probably win a bowl game as the B1G #3 and finish 11-2 in the Top 10).

At Florida, in 6 seasons he went 65-15 with 2 national championships.

At Utah, in 2 seasons he went 22-2 with an undefeated season.

At Bowling Green, he went 17-6 in 2 seasons at a job no one wanted and people thought he was insane for taking.

For those of you who are saying that you don't want anyone whose career has been tied to Urban's -- WTF are your priorities?

And look at the success of his protégés: Kyle Whittingham, Dan Mullen, Steve Addazio, Luke Fickell, Charlie Strong, etc

I really like the design of Day's offense. It only hits on all cylinders if the QB is a running threat, but even without much of that the passing concepts are so good. The crossing routes are so well designed. It does take an OL that can give a QB time and keep those DLs from getting their hands up, though.

I really like the design of Day's offense. It only hits on all cylinders if the QB is a running threat, but even without much of that the passing concepts are so good. The crossing routes are so well designed. It does take an OL that can give a QB time and keep those DLs from getting their hands up, though.

any offense that requires our OL to block is probably not gonna work here

I haven't really been impressed with their OL and I'd heard it was their weakness, Dobbins and Weber shouldn't have this much of an issue running (and it's been like this all season), and Haskins just seems to have really good timing down.

Edit: Well, they've been pretty great today, tbf.

Last edited:
idk but I love the offense Urban Meyer teams always run. Haskins doesn't seem like as much of a runner as other guys, but spread with a physical running game is what I want to see at CU. I don't care if it's a offensive HC or a defensive guy, that's the offense I want. And it sure doesn't look like any Texas Tech Mike Leach Hal Mumme crap

idk but I love the offense Urban Meyer teams always run. Haskins doesn't seem like as much of a runner as other guys, but spread with a physical running game is what I want to see at CU. I don't care if it's a offensive HC or a defensive guy, that's the offense I want. And it sure doesn't look like any Texas Tech Mike Leach Hal Mumme crap
I'm with you there.

The only reason I'm so high on Holgorsen if we can get him is that Leach has half joked that they've kicked Dana out of the club for running so much and utilizing TEs and a FB.

I want high powered, creative offense.. but I want it to be physical offense too. You have to emphasize winning in the trenches. Too much Air Raid is not that because it was designed to overcome deficiencies of getting physically dominated. Some of the new branches have moved toward thinking about how you apply those concepts when you can actually gain physical advantages in the trenches.

Back