What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ryan Miller opens up to tell his story

This article was great to read. I met his aunt and uncle randomly in New Zealand last year. They made it seem like he was really struggling with concussions.

Very good article. Hate to see anyone having to go through something like this.

Takes a lot of courage for a guy who has been able to succeed at everything he has done in life to acknowledge that he can't control this and in fact it has some control over him.

Every time that someone steps forward like this though makes it easier for the next guy to get the help he needs as well. Hopefully it will also help in the process of figuring out how to deal with the impact of head injuries in the future.

I have no words for what I watched. Had no idea Ryan was going through this and feel sick to my stomach that this is still going on.

Guess I was naive that things have changed and a little mad at myself that this is what it took. Unreal

Bro, it's been like this for a very long ass time. Some have it worse than others have sometimes I suppose. I'm wondering though, what is a clear definition of.a concussion? Obviously Ryan had multiple. Is it one big one and a bunch of smaller ones and they add up? Hell, I'm not really sure? I've had similar symptoms but not like wigging out and stuff. Sensitivity to light, check. Not remembering myself doing the stuff I watched on film, check. Terrible headaches that made you puke, check. It's kinda scary though. End of the day, I knew what I was getting into. Light still bothers me at times especially halogen. I hope Ryan can find some peace with it. It's great he has people around him that care and love him, plus the decision he made as well.

Bro, it's been like this for a very long ass time. Some have it worse than others have sometimes I suppose. I'm wondering though, what is a clear definition of.a concussion? Obviously Ryan had multiple. Is it one big one and a bunch of smaller ones and they add up? Hell, I'm not really sure? I've had similar symptoms but not like wigging out and stuff. Sensitivity to light, check. Not remembering myself doing the stuff I watched on film, check. Terrible headaches that made you puke, check. It's kinda scary though. End of the day, I knew what I was getting into. Light still bothers me at times especially halogen. I hope Ryan can find some peace with it. It's great he has people around him that care and love him, plus the decision he made as well.
glad you could make this about yourself luke

Wasn't trying to at all, his is way worse. I can relate to some but not that. Maybe you could have put your input into the questions instead of criticism of me.

I sometimes wonder what is going to happen with football. The concussion issue seems like a time bomb to me - could public opinion cause it to lose some of it popularity? Will parents not allow their kids to participate because of concerns?

I sometimes wonder what is going to happen with football. The concussion issue seems like a time bomb to me - could public opinion cause it to lose some of it popularity? Will parents not allow their kids to participate because of concerns?
Some will, not everyone. I was just flat truthful with my son about said issue, left it up to him.

I think the overall number of kids playing youth football might drop, but I don't see it having any impact on the popularity of the college or pro game.

I think the overall number of kids playing youth football might drop, but I don't see it having any impact on the popularity of the college or pro game.

I think there's a good chance we'll start seeing only flag football until junior high or high school age.

I don't think the popularity will drop much, it will some.

The future though also will look different than today. We are going to see more targeting rules. The Seahawks may be the real model for the future with their emphasis on "Rugby tackling" over trying to blow people up.

I think there's a good chance we'll start seeing only flag football until junior high or high school age.
I think that would take a very drastic exodus from the sport at the little league level, and I don't see that happening. In fact, there is more full contact football for kids today, than there was even 15 years ago. They have the Fall season, like always, but now most regions around the metro area have a Spring league, in which most high school coaches do their "recruiting" through. Besides, players who are developing CTE, aren't doing so due to their days in Pop Warner.

I agree it's heading in that direction but I don't like it. Wrong approach imho. Kids need to be taught how to hit properly, you need to start that early. By the time you get in HS, you can just execute what you've learned. If you haven't played full contact before middle school, it might even be more dangerous. Coaches need to coach fundamentals bottom line, at an early age preferably. It doesn't even need to be full speed until the kids understand the technique. Cram that into their brain.

Miller got it worse than most people for sure. Didn't have any recorded concussions in a few seasons of high school but had my bell rung a few times in practice and boy I paid the price for that for five to ten years with constant migraines and sensitivity to light. I don't have those problems anymore...thanks to God!

I think football in general is on the decline and given that we most likely will get the 2026 World Cup, we might see soccer overtake football in this country by the 2030s. This concussion saga is going to slowly suck the life out of football.

Miller got it worse than most people for sure. Didn't have any recorded concussions in a few seasons of high school but had my bell rung a few times in practice and boy I paid the price for that for five to ten years with constant migraines and sensitivity to light. I don't have those problems anymore...thanks to God!

I think football in general is on the decline and given that we most likely will get the 2026 World Cup, we might see soccer overtake football in this country by the 2030s. This concussion saga is going to slowly suck the life out of football.

No, soccer isn't going to overtake football in the US in the next 15-25 years. It is growing and it can be expected to pass a number of other sports but football is so established that it isn't going to lose it's spot on top.

Concussions are an issue but if they are soccer doesn't come out great either. Though not as high as football soccer has it's own issues with CTE and other concussion issues.

No, soccer isn't going to overtake football in the US in the next 15-25 years. It is growing and it can be expected to pass a number of other sports but football is so established that it isn't going to lose it's spot on top.

Concussions are an issue but if they are soccer doesn't come out great either. Though not as high as football soccer has it's own issues with CTE and other concussion issues.
Agreed. Soccer isn't making moves in the US, especially in the next 15 years. Football is just as popular today (2 years after the concussion stuff has been made very public) as it's ever been.

Agreed. Soccer isn't making moves in the US, especially in the next 15 years. Football is just as popular today (2 years after the concussion stuff has been made very public) as it's ever been.
Football has the perfect schedule. Sunday games and a week long news cycle with limited interference from other sports. It won't decline in popularity even if they change to completely different body armor to pare concussions.

I don't care what they put the players in, you'll eventually get a concussion if you play long enough, unless you're lucky. Hell, a lot of times it's a head hitting the ground instead of helmet to helmet. To me, might be in the minority here, it's part of the game. I don't see any way where it's 100% prevented. Hope they find a way to prove that wrong but I have my doubts.

Helmets dont stop the brain from impacting the inside of the skull. Helmets prevent broken bones and flesh wounds. Concussions occur in soccer and basketball from head to head, head to limb, and head to ground blows.

With the huge contracts and bonuses there will be more and more players retiring in their prime. That is my prediction.

Oh, and I've heard the "soccer is going to take over in the next 25 years" mantra for, umm, the last 25 years. So, by my math, I guess it will happen this year.

With the huge contracts and bonuses there will be more and more players retiring in their prime. That is my prediction.

Oh, and I've heard the "soccer is going to take over in the next 25 years" mantra for, umm, the last 25 years. So, by my math, I guess it will happen this year.

I'd agree that Soccer is not likely to surpass football for another 20-25 years. But I think it will continue to grow at the expense of other sports and thats why the World Cup wants matches played here. We may enter an era of niche audiences where the pie is divided by a lot of pieces.

Anecdotally I just realized that Ive watched more Premiere League, La Liga, and USNT matches than I watched NFL games this year. Ive watched zero baseball games and zero NBA games. I did watch a lot of college football and a few college basketball games.

Let's wait for soccer to surpass MLB, NBA and NHL for popularity in this country before even mentioning it passing the NFL. Mmmmk TIA!

Let's wait for soccer to surpass MLB, NBA and NHL for popularity in this country before even mentioning it passing the NFL. Mmmmk TIA!

I'm not a soccer fan but hard to ignore the growth of the sport in spectator popularity.

Based on attendance, TV ratings and media rights values you could argue that soccer has already passed the NHL. Still well behind MLB, NBA, NASCAR and Golf.

None of them come close to football. College football is over all the rest and it is a fraction of the NFL in the US.

Yep. We'd have way fewer concussions with soft shell helmets because people wouldn't hit with their heads. But boy would we see a lot of broken faces.

Back