What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Saban Reportedly Signs Extension With Bama

Harbaugh is a pro coach. Fits him better, just as Saban and Spurrier are college coaches. 7m a year from Bama, that is hilarious. I'd love to see the school justify that to the state. 7m for a college football coach. Crazy , just crazy.
I don't see the issue. He's the best coach in college football. He's won multiple national titles. Alabama has a huge fan base and generates a lot of revenue. Nick Saban has generated the school of Alabama (and probably the state from visitors to T-town on Gameday buying food and other misc. items in-town) a whole lot of money.

Tying himself to Kaepernick was not smart. The guy is not the answer as a long-term dynasty QB.
He'll figure it out if he's not, last I checked he almost went to the SB with Alex Smith. He did lots with Andrew Luck. So not overly concerned in this department.

Harbaugh is a pro coach. Fits him better, just as Saban and Spurrier are college coaches. 7m a year from Bama, that is hilarious. I'd love to see the school justify that to the state. 7m for a college football coach. Crazy , just crazy.
Wasn't a bad college coach. I think he'd be able to win a championship if he stayed. College coaches don't always translate well to the pros, but it's easier to get that way than the other way around IMO.

I'll tell you the school that could justify: the school that's paying Saban that. The chancellor told 60 Minutes, Nick Saban is the "best investment" the school has ever made so safe to say, he's still a pretty good investment at a few million more. Truth be told, Saban could probably even get more and it would benefit Bama. Not just from an Athletic Department perspective, but because of that success, the University as a whole has benefitted.

With buyouts to their former employers, Arkansas paid $5.2MM for Bret Bielema's services this season. Butch Jones cost Tennessee about $4.9MM. LINK

You think either would have thought it was a bad investment to fork over a couple more million to have Saban coaching them instead?

With buyouts to their former employers, Arkansas paid $5.2MM for Bret Bielema's services this season. Butch Jones cost Tennessee about $4.9MM. LINK

You think either would have thought it was a bad investment to fork over a couple more million to have Saban coaching them instead?
Presidents/ADs must hate the Saban situation, but cfb coaches must love it. Without him making as much as he does, these coaches don't get their pay.

Wasn't a bad college coach. I think he'd be able to win a championship if he stayed. College coaches don't always translate well to the pros, but it's easier to get that way than the other way around IMO.

I'll tell you the school that could justify: the school that's paying Saban that. The chancellor told 60 Minutes, Nick Saban is the "best investment" the school has ever made so safe to say, he's still a pretty good investment at a few million more. Truth be told, Saban could probably even get more and it would benefit Bama. Not just from an Athletic Department perspective, but because of that success, the University as a whole has benefitted.

Quite a departure from the administrative sentiment or understanding at CU.

Chip was on rivals radio "The War Room" the other day with Sean Salisbury & John Harris, and pretty much confirmed he is a total DB and was making **** up, other than the supposed meeting between Saban's agent and someone from UT some time ago. Because Chip is a Rivals employee, they seemed to leave him alone on this rather than bury him.

I'd love to get Sean's take on Chip some day off the record.

I don't see the issue. He's the best coach in college football. He's won multiple national titles. Alabama has a huge fan base and generates a lot of revenue. Nick Saban has generated the school of Alabama (and probably the state from visitors to T-town on Gameday buying food and other misc. items in-town) a whole lot of money.

This. You can make a pretty good argument Saban is still underpaid.

I'm more looking at a bigger picture. It has to do with college expenses in general and how they are continuing to escalate. I believe Alabama tuition is up to 25k now. Students are coming out of college with record debt b/c colleges are so expensive. It's not just coaches with exorbitant salaries, professors and the tenure system is getting ridiculous and are huge source of revenue drain. I understand that football is driving the machine down there and SEC schools in general, but they are almost turning into minor league teams and the student in student-athlete is an after thought. Not all of these guys will go pro, and now a huge percentage of pros are going broke after their career. I correlate that with the dimishing emphasis on education. I wonder if a lot of these top schools won't dump the NCAA and form their own league where they can pay the athletes, then they will be a minor league in all but name.

It's great when you're winning, but what happens when the program fades? Inevitably all programs fade. Then you have this 5 mill hole that is losing. The other SEC schools that aren't winning are seeing this.

Last edited:

Oh I think Harbaugh would succeed in college. But he belongs with the top coaches in the pros because he is that good. He was a pro, he knows the league. He will likely win a championship there. Going back to college would be a step back. I still see the pros as the top of the coaching chain.

Oh I think Harbaugh would succeed in college. But he belongs with the top coaches in the pros because he is that good. He was a pro, he knows the league. He will likely win a championship there. Going back to college would be a step back. I still see the pros as the top of the coaching chain.
Well yeah, college is the glorified minors. How many people would watch college football and basketball without an affiliation to the schools? I agree, college in general is a step down but Texas isn't as much as most places and they are the closest thing to a pro team as I made reference to earlier with their own network, fanbase, revenue, etc.

This. You can make a pretty good argument Saban is still underpaid.
I'd be curious to see if there has been a study on the value that each coach has brought to their school, or if there's a regression with the expected pay vs. actual pay, to see who really is overpaid/underpaid.

Hmmm that actually sounds like a project I could do for one of my classes next semester.

I'd be curious to see if there has been a study on the value that each coach has brought to their school, or if there's a regression with the expected pay vs. actual pay, to see who really is overpaid/underpaid.

Hmmm that actually sounds like a project I could do for one of my classes next semester.
Each individual coach, that be a lot, since there's been 110+ to do and it's hard to measure, their exact impact. And in particular the expected pay, the lower profile decisions probably didn't get done at the time. But in Saban's case, I'm sure they did studies both prior to and since he's been there. Safe to say, he exceeded their wildest expectations.

Each individual coach, that be a lot, since there's been 110+ to do and it's hard to measure, their exact impact. And in particular the expected pay, the lower profile decisions probably didn't get done at the time. But in Saban's case, I'm sure they did studies both prior to and since he's been there. Safe to say, he exceeded their wildest expectations.
There'd def. be a lot of variables you'd have to account for, but I think you could get a pretty reasonable E($) with the right amount of variables that actually affect salary (win%, bowl game win%, etc.?)

There'd def. be a lot of variables you'd have to account for, but I think you could get a pretty reasonable E($) with the right amount of variables that actually affect salary (win%, bowl game win%, etc.?)
Attendance and revenue would get to the heart of it. Also, measuring outside local businesses (hotels, restaurants, etc) -- were they able to raise rates, are the hotels at higher capacity, how are the restaurants foot traffic on gameday. One of the things I remember was when CU only had 5 home games during Embree's first year, the local businesses were furious because they always count on gamedays to give them more business.

The boulder chamber of commerce was also a critic of the move to the PAC. The big12 teams traveled far better. Kstate, Texas, OU, Aggy. He'll, even Iowa State had a good turnout most years they played in Boulder. Not great, but not bad for a team that was hardly ever good. How did cal fans look? How many Oregon fans were there?

The boulder chamber of commerce was also a critic of the move to the PAC. The big12 teams traveled far better. Kstate, Texas, OU, Aggy. He'll, even Iowa State had a good turnout most years they played in Boulder. Not great, but not bad for a team that was hardly ever good. How did cal fans look? How many Oregon fans were there?

Duh. Boulder was THE destination in the B8/B12. Bright lights, big city, scenery….
In the P12, it's just another city.

Plus quite a few of the Big 12 schools were within a 10-12 hour drive

The minor bump in visitors 4-5 days a year is not enough to make a difference.

Not good for college football...it means that coaches and expenses will keep going through the roof.

Just wait until the SEC Network launches.

Not good for college football...it means that coaches and expenses will keep going through the roof.

Just wait until the SEC Network launches.
It's inevitable until people stop going to/watching games as well as buying merchandise and donating to schools. Maybe some regression will come eventually?

With all the money generated from new TV contracts, there is really only one place to put it- coaches salaries. I saw this coming a long time ago.

Back