What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Same officiating crew from the Hawaii game

Got around this evening to watching the game on the DVR. The skirmish on the sideline could have been prevented if the taunting penalty would have been called and the linesman does his job to separate everyone. Kelly got called for shoving a guy in the back into the crowd.

On the missed spot, I actually think the replay guys had it correct, but relayed the wrong yard line to the officials or they misheard him on the radio. The ball was spotted on the 33, but the clock was set to 10:02, which was the time when he stepped out on the 43 yard line, that is a 24 yard difference in the spot. The more concerning thing was that they didn't buzz down again to say that the spot was incorrect. The RB was so far away from the sideline at the 33, it should have been obvious to the replay crew that the officials put the ball in the wrong spot.

Almost all of the other calls/non-calls I can't really argue with. The picks were blatant, but that crap happens all the time, some are just better at running them than others, and our guys went out of their way to try to avoid the pick.

I don't know that it changed things in the CSU game or the Hawaii game. I did not start this thread as some sort of "blame the refs" thing -- because I think that's weak sauce. But I do think it's important to point out incompetence. And this crew, in the 2 weeks we have observed them, has been pretty awful. The scary thing is that while CU may draw the lesser Pac-12 crews due to the pecking order with CU being the worst team in the conference the past few seasons, this was a MWC crew chosen to do one of the few nationally televised conference games they had each week. I can only assume it is one of the best the MWC has. Whether that is the case or not, the fact remains that they are getting work and this means the MWC has some serious issues with the quality of its officiating.

I don't know that it changed things in the CSU game or the Hawaii game. I did not start this thread as some sort of "blame the refs" thing -- because I think that's weak sauce. But I do think it's important to point out incompetence. And this crew, in the 2 weeks we have observed them, has been pretty awful. The scary thing is that while CU may draw the lesser Pac-12 crews due to the pecking order with CU being the worst team in the conference the past few seasons, this was a MWC crew chosen to do one of the few nationally televised conference games they had each week. I can only assume it is one of the best the MWC has. Whether that is the case or not, the fact remains that they are getting work and this means the MWC has some serious issues with the quality of its officiating.

See other than the missed spot that was reviewed I didn't think they were that bad. The pick play shouldn't have been a penalty, the interception shouldn't have been interference and the illegal hands to the face was apparently a good call as well.

See other than the missed spot that was reviewed I didn't think they were that bad. The pick play shouldn't have been a penalty, the interception shouldn't have been interference and the illegal hands to the face was apparently a good call as well.

That missed spot though is inexcusable. Not only did they miss him running the sideline and taking 6 or so steps out of bounds, but they screwed up the review too.

That missed spot though is inexcusable. Not only did they miss him running the sideline and taking 6 or so steps out of bounds, but they screwed up the review too.

Yeah they missed it but they aren't the ones reviewing it right? don't they just get the call from upstairs?

Yeah they missed it but they aren't the ones reviewing it right? don't they just get the call from upstairs?

The ref in the booth is still part of the crew. It is unacceptable that the LJ missed him stepping out of bounds over and over and over and over and over.... he had perfect position to see it. Luckily it didn't really hurt anything but still. Unacceptable.

I sat in the north end zone and the pick was pretty obvious from over a 100 yds. away. DB's are not supposed to be flying head over heels like that just trying to cover. To me, on Nembot's call, the ref reacted to the helmet coming off, not what was done. Nembot's hands were on the player's pads/jersey and came into contact with the helmet as it came off. He was not the reason it came off. Anybody with questions on PI behind the neutral zone look early on that highlight video at what a CSU player was doing to Lindsay on a screen, before the pass was knocked down. He had Lindsay wrapped up on a tackle!

These refs were bad twice in a row. Won one lost one, but both games were closer in favor of the MWC, because of their incompetence.

Does there have to be contact on a pick play?
Yes, to be a penalty. Even minimal contact won't draw a foul as the official has to assume that the receiver was heading to a space and not intentionally blocking. It really only gets called when a receiver just obviously tries to interfere with a DB.

when receivers run a crossing pattern and one obviously interferes with one of the DB's thats when it will be called.

Higgins technically made contact and probably should have been called for OPI, he ran to a soft spot in the zone, and happened to get in front of the DB. It did not APPEAR to be intentional, although it likely was.

Everyone just bitches about pic plays when we do them also. Broncos fans even complain about them when they use them every other play. They are part of football and have been happening forever to beat man coverage. Higgins didn't have to do anything, Chido was already too far away to make the tackle in front of the first down marker.

Well if you run a pick play right, there isn't any contact.. All you gotta do is create a step or two and ya got them.

It was definitely intentional. It was 4th down. The entire game was riding on that play. Of COURSE it was intentional. The problem was that it was also completely obvious, and STILL didn't get called.

On the Nembot penalty, I thought that the flag may have been for the player without a helmet continuing to play. I thought there was a rule against that in NCAA. Once your helmet is off, you cannot attempt to tackle or pursue the play.

Can anyone confirm?

when receivers run a crossing pattern and one obviously interferes with one of the DB's thats when it will be called.

Higgins technically made contact and probably should have been called for OPI, he ran to a soft spot in the zone, and happened to get in front of the DB. It did not APPEAR to be intentional, although it likely was.
Erik Johnson couldn't throw a better hip check.

You can clearly see Higgins take a little jump backwards in Chido when he sees him coming. Absolutely intentional and absolutely OPI.

You can clearly see Higgins take a little jump backwards in Chido when he sees him coming. Absolutely intentional and absolutely OPI.

I agree, after reviewing it was.

In the moment though it probably did not appear to be. It was a bang bang type thing and the refs had already shown during the game that they cannot use their eyes.

In the moment though it probably did not appear to be. It was a bang bang type thing and the refs had already shown during the game that they cannot use their eyes.
Hell they showed that against Hawaii so really not surprise.

I really, really dislike how easy it is to be called for DPI but very difficult to be called for OPI

Not solely directed at you 1738, but to all those bitching about the non call, stop being so uptight and self righteous about the play. All pick plays are intentional and skirt the OPI rule. Sorry to break the news to some of you but a lot plays come down to risk management and how to gain subtle advantages. I will agree with the statement that Higgins showed some intent to interfere (quasi blatent but not obvious), now did he actually interfere is judgemental (these refs said no), but hey that's sports move on. At SAF I was livid about the non call but after watching it again I can see where Higgins had the right to that space and Chido came across it, but again whatever happens is judgemental. Heck if Chido had run through Higgins vs trying to get around him that's maybe DPI and first down.

Didn't Chido get windmilled off his feet in front of the ref? It was kind of hard not to see. I saw it even though I was seriously drunk and attempting to type in chat while blurrily watching the game on tv.

Didn't Chido get windmilled off his feet in front of the ref? It was kind of hard not to see. I saw it even though I was seriously drunk and attempting to type in chat while blurrily watching the game on tv.

Just like it wasn't easy to miss the RB stepping out of bounds 5 times before getting tackled? Theses refs were blind for most of the game.

Not solely directed at you 1738, but to all those bitching about the non call, stop being so uptight and self righteous about the play. All pick plays are intentional and skirt the OPI rule. Sorry to break the news to some of you but a lot plays come down to risk management and how to gain subtle advantages. I will agree with the statement that Higgins showed some intent to interfere (quasi blatent but not obvious), now did he actually interfere is judgemental (these refs said no), but hey that's sports move on. At SAF I was livid about the non call but after watching it again I can see where Higgins had the right to that space and Chido came across it, but again whatever happens is judgemental. Heck if Chido had run through Higgins vs trying to get around him that's maybe DPI and first down.
Sorry I don't excuse ****ty officiating; win, lose, or tie. Higgins clearly jumped backwards into Chido, that's not right of space, that's a blatant attempt to stop a player from getting to his position.

I personally thought Higgins was trying to twerk our DB on the supposed offensive interference play. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Sorry I don't excuse ****ty officiating; win, lose, or tie. Higgins clearly jumped backwards into Chido, that's not right of space, that's a blatant attempt to stop a player from getting to his position.

Well I am just not seeing anything as egregious as you see or as I had thought I saw at SAF. I just re watched it a few times and it looks like Chido was a little soft covering Handsly and he got sandwiched trying to jump through a tight window between Higgins and KC. Again don't doubt its a pick play but I am doubting OPI.

As for ****ty officiating the OB call is a major blunder, when technology is available no reason to **** that up. Thsts a serious mark vs the crew.

Well I am just not seeing anything as egregious as you see or as I had thought I saw at SAF. I just re watched it a few times and it looks like Chido was a little soft covering Handsly and he got sandwiched trying to jump through a tight window between Higgins and KC. Again don't doubt its a pick play but I am doubting OPI.

As for ****ty officiating the OB call is a major blunder, when technology is available no reason to **** that up. Thsts a serious mark vs the crew.
If Chido hip checked the WR it would be DPI, it was very clear what Higgins did there.

Main point of this thread. There is absolutely no excuse for a line judge to botch it that badly or for the booth review to also screw it up that badly.

It's bizarre. I'm still kind of mind-blown that it could happen in today's game.

Back