What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Schemes?

lvbuff

I saw that McElwain mentioned that the schemes the Buffs run had NFL written all over them. While that fact might be a great recruiting tool for college ball, those schemes are based on the fact that every position on the field is expected to be better or equal to the opponents. At this point in time it is clear that the buffs don't measure up, particularly on the o-line. I do believe that if given time, that this staff will be able to recruit the talent to fit their needs. Yes there were a couple of questionable calls and some freshman mistakes but, I can't think of many that thought this team would be a world beater this year. I find it laughable that the AllBuffs nation is saying Fire the coach!!!! Embree isn't going to be fired this season and he will be the coach at the beginning of the next season.

We have more talent than CSU. This is just a ****** ****ing staff sans a few.

I saw that McElwain mentioned that the schemes the Buffs run had NFL written all over them. While that fact might be a great recruiting tool for college ball, those schemes are based on the fact that every position on the field is expected to be better or equal to the opponents. At this point in time it is clear that the buffs don't measure up, particularly on the o-line. I do believe that if given time, that this staff will be able to recruit the talent to fit their needs. Yes there were a couple of questionable calls and some freshman mistakes but, I can't think of many that thought this team would be a world beater this year. I find it laughable that the AllBuffs nation is saying Fire the coach!!!! Embree isn't going to be fired this season and he will be the coach at the beginning of the next season.

What you saw on offense is pretty much what you get for this year and next year, outside of Paul Richardson, a couple running backs, and maybe 1-2 offensive linemen. So let's forget about hypothetical talent this staff might recruit in the sometime distant future and actually deal in reality right now. Is the offensive talent on this good enough for us to take steps forward or not?

What you saw on offense is pretty much what you get for this year and next year, outside of Paul Richardson, a couple running backs, and maybe 1-2 offensive linemen. So let's forget about hypothetical talent this staff might recruit in the sometime distant future and actually deal in reality right now. Is the offensive talent on this good enough for us to take steps forward or not?

Can we not get some hb passes in the flat or te throws? I thought that is the kind of offense we were going to have

The answer is yes. Yes it is. There were too many mistakes in the first game that can be attributed to freshman inexperience. I think this team gets better every week from here on. The coaches and kids know what they need to do, this was a tough lesson.

The answer is yes. Yes it is. There were too many mistakes in the first game that can be attributed to freshman inexperience. I think this team gets better every week from here on. The coaches and kids know what they need to do, this was a tough lesson.
You mean like the OL (not a single freshman on there that played) not being able to move the small CSU DL? Or Jones dancing in the backfield? Or the play call to roll out instead of get the 6" on the ground? Or the call to have Goodson back to field a punt near half time?

I am not looking for hopeful answers here. Let's hear some substance.

Do you see Tony Jones being the answer at RB? Is Creer the answer? Can Spruce and McCulloch gain separation against better defensive backs in conference play? Can the offensive line handle bigger defensive linemen (we are likely to be one of the smallest offensive lines in the PAC-12)?

TJ is not the answer at RB. Creer, while not one hundred percent, has vision and found the cutback lane instead of just running into the OL's backs. Creer should get the reps, with any of the Frosh getting a look. But then again, if the OL is going to get their asses beat like a tom-tom, it wouldn't matter if I was the RB, the ground game won't go anywhere.

DC's have got to be salivating. Blitz 25% of the game and you win because the OL couldn't pick up a blitz to save their life.....

I am not looking for hopeful answers here. Let's hear some substance.

Do you see Tony Jones being the answer at RB? Is Creer the answer? Can Spruce and McCulloch gain separation against better defensive backs in conference play? Can the offensive line handle bigger defensive linemen (we are likely to be one of the smallest offensive lines in the PAC-12)?
Substance? What is your answer? Fire the coach? How is that going to help this team win games this year. I think this team will improve from game to game this season. Wait til next week and we can discuss again.

Substance? What is your answer? Fire the coach? How is that going to help this team win games this year. I think this team will improve from game to game this season. Wait til next week and we can discuss again.

Your original argument was the coaches needed more time and eventually the talent would catch up. Now you are actually dodging the questions about the talent. What are your thoughts on the 2013 class?

I am not just saying fire the coach and I am not willing to give them a pass either.

Every team gets better week to week unless the team has packed it in.

2 or 3 win season.

Here's another thing: NFL playbooks are complicated as hell. You have ADULTS that struggle with it, let alone 18 year olds that barely qualified out of high school. Teams like Oregon have shown that simplifying the playbook makes it easier for college students to learn. It doesn't have to be as simple as Oregon's, but it shouldn't be as complicated as the Patriots either.

Part of being a coach is the ability to teach your guys the fundamentals, where to be and who to block/catch/tackle/cover. Embree and Co failed in that regard.

Your original argument was the coaches needed more time and eventually the talent would catch up. Now you are actually dodging the questions about the talent. What are your thoughts on the 2013 class?

I am not just saying fire the coach and I am not willing to give them a pass either.

That is my argument...so how are you NOT going to give the coaching staff a pass? They have a pass whether you like it or not. 2013 class is not looking bad compared to the past several years. First time in a long time there is actually a class to discuss before signing day.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish...

They have a pass because of hopeful assumptions. No real track record but you just KNOW they are going to be good.

I'm not a fan of yesterday's game. But since when do NFL schemes require you to be better athletes than your competition?

difference between high and low draft choices? I would make that assumption.

Duff I love your feigned indignance. Maybe this team does not get better. All I know is that these guys (coaches and players) are playing the hand they have. It really sucks that Richardson was lost for the season, it really sucks that the o-line got blown out. It really sucks that receivers are not as fast as everyone wishes they were. It really sucks that CSU won yesterday. It really sucks that some questionable calls were made by the staff.

Lets say you found yourself as head football coach tomorrow...what would you do?

difference between high and low draft choices? I would make that assumption.

Duff I love your feigned indignance. Maybe this team does not get better. All I know is that these guys (coaches and players) are playing the hand they have. It really sucks that Richardson was lost for the season, it really sucks that the o-line got blown out. It really sucks that receivers are not as fast as everyone wishes they were. It really sucks that CSU won yesterday. It really sucks that some questionable calls were made by the staff.

Lets say you found yourself as head football coach tomorrow...what would you do?

I'm not equipped to be head coach of a major college football program, so your question is pretty pointless. Sorry if I think the coaches should be able to, you know, coach a little bit every now and then.

I asked simple questions about the offense going forward and you cannot answer them, which is entirely my point. No one can honestly answer them because it is mostly based on a lot of hope. What you see is what you get on offense for the next couple seasons. That should not inspire much confidence.

The only question you asked is whether or not this team has the talent to move forward. I said yes I thought that was the case. So please enlighten me. I am not exactly sure what you are arguing about.

Let me rephrase my question...from perspective of sitting on couch in front of TV watching CU games. What is your solution?

The problem is I think it is too late in many ways. If the coaches are trying to win with smashmouth football, I actually question the plan of carrying it out. But if I were to boil it down to three things:

1. Never hire Steve Marshall in the first place (this is not hindsight either).
2. Recruit big running backs. Not just one or two either.
3. Take more than two OL in the 2012 recruiting class.

I agree with your hindsight to an extent...I am curious as to the qualitative differences in Marshall's coaching from Gurode et al. to now. Is it possible that coaching up players has changed from then to now?

I agree with your hindsight to an extent...I am curious as to the qualitative differences in Marshall's coaching from Gurode et al. to now. Is it possible that coaching up players has changed from then to now?

It's possible. It's also possible Marshall got a lot of credit for inheriting a damn good group of linemen for two years.

What I don't care for is that it's year two and we are no learning a new scheme. I despise the no huddle, you can't do a change of pace when your in hurry up all the time.

We took the advantage of having a system in place last year. Building on that for this year and then taking it to CSU. I hate starting from scratch every year. Seems like we have been doing this for the last six years.

Our O-line is so bad we have no choice but to get creative. It should not take this long to figure that out. Certainly someone should be smart enough to game plan for what talent we have.

Last edited:
you can't run a true nfl offense with college players. they don't have the practice or chalkboard time. forget the talent issues. you cannot install it in college, no matter how much experience your staff has.

saban's offense is as old as dbt and he's won 2 of the last 3 national championships, plus his lsu success. in college, you can win with gimmicks (leach, rich rod) or you can win with hard nose (saban, carroll (when he was at usc), etc.), but mostly you need to win with ATHLETES. you keep it simple, you coach them up, you instill toughness and then you go.

this staff has not demonstrated an ability to do that. the csu guy did in spades yesterday.

Back