What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scholarship limits

MtnBuff

Not allowed in Barzil 2
Club Member
Nick probably has a handle on this but I was thinking.

Schools have a scholarship limit of 85 with a max of 25 new per year.

With the number of seniors we are losing plus attrition for other reasons we will be significantly below a point where 25 LOIs will put us at 85. I assume that some can/will be given to walk-ons who have earned them (O'neill for example.)

Can we grayshirt additional guys without impacting the next years class? How long will it be until we are back to a solid 85 schollies?

are you sure the max is 25? South Carolina has 31 commits last year and Clemson had 28. I don't know if they overbooked assuming that some kids wouldn't get past admissions.

Nick probably has a handle on this but I was thinking.

Schools have a scholarship limit of 85 with a max of 25 new per year.

With the number of seniors we are losing plus attrition for other reasons we will be significantly below a point where 25 LOIs will put us at 85. I assume that some can/will be given to walk-ons who have earned them (O'neill for example.)

Can we grayshirt additional guys without impacting the next years class? How long will it be until we are back to a solid 85 schollies?
With Rashad Hall's failure to get into school, we still have 3 or 4 schollies available in the 2011 class that can be used for early enrollees this year. We, hopefully, will use all of them on a mixture of juco and frosh.

Then we have the 25 available for 2012. So we should be up around 29 new guys not counting greyshirts after this coming class.

That will still leave us short of 80. We won't make 85 schollies until 2013.

If some of the guys that were just suspended do not make it back, it will actually have a bigger impact on the 2013 class than it will in 2012. We are taking a big class in 2012 (26-28) regardless, but any attrition might actually help make the numbers for 2013 more manageable because that is a small senior class on paper.

There is a balance that needs to be struck here somehow. As Snow says, we will be playing under the 85 limit for a little while, which is fine. Cannot repeat mistakes of the last regime like taking 8 OL in one class.

30-33 signings is looking more and more likely. We will get guys to enroll early, we will get transfers, junior college players, and grey shirt terrance crowder. Right now we have 28 schoolies availalbe, that number may reach 30-33 because of attrition.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been answered, but do the suspended players keep their scholarships while suspended?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but do the suspended players keep their scholarships while suspended?

Depends on the type of suspension, in this case yes.

The statement from CU about this incident stated that the players in question would not be allowed to participate in any football related activities but would be expected to maintain their academic obligations.

This suspension sucks but it will show who wants to grind through it and play ball for CU. I mean it's cool just to go to college as a student only, especially since they stay on schollie. Thats not what these guys came for tho. A message has been sent for not only the guys in trouble but for the whole roster. Either get on board and do your part or good luck elsewhere.

are you sure the max is 25? South Carolina has 31 commits last year and Clemson had 28. I don't know if they overbooked assuming that some kids wouldn't get past admissions.

It is 25 but you can count some to the previous class if they enroll early plus they may also grey shirt some and count to next year's class.

Some schools deliberately oversign. They count on a certain number not getting through admissions or for some other reason not becoming part of the program. They will also ask some kids to delay enrollment and grayshirt to count against the next year.

Some of the less ethical programs who oversign have been known to "find" reasons to not honor the scholly for a couple of kids to keep them below the limit but really messing the kid over since they are without their scholly and their other choices are already full.

We only took 23 in 2011. With Kelley grayshirting after getting hurt, Hall not making it in and Burnette being a December graduate we can count back to 2010... it's like we took 20. That means we can take 5 December grads in the 2012 class to push it to 30. Transfers aren't included in the number either, so we can look there for filling up to 85.

Back