What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scott denies report

this is hilarious. some kid on rivals who is friends with scott on facebook said that scott was saying things like "im coming back, im working on it, we are bringing it back this year...." this whole situation is ridiculous.

this is hilarious. some kid on rivals who is friends with scott on facebook said that scott was saying things like "im coming back, im working on it, we are bringing it back this year...." this whole situation is ridiculous.

Maybe Dan Hawkins told him it wasnt going to happen and now he's bitter.

Hawk has a GF on FB??? :wow:

Ugh... at this point, I WISH Hawk would do something morally reprehensible (like open-faced adultary) in order to justify a nullification of his contract or even a buyout. I can't be the only one that is sick and tired of turning on the computer and reading this kind of junk CONSTANTLY about CU. Seriously, I'm getting physically nauseuos right now. I understand Hawk is ticked about Sumler taking off for his senior year. I get it. But Hawk does NOT seem to get that he is the face of the football program and the most visible university employee and to respond in such an ugly fashion to a petty offense makes him and, by proxy, the program look like a complete joke. I'm not even certain I want them to win next year if it's going to buy Hawk more years. Hawk's petty, he quits on recruits, and it's just so unfair, so let's make a bunch of excuses instead of trying to improve.

Yeesh... they say that you see true character in the face of adversity, maybe Hawk should look in the mirror.

I'm with you guys, scott thing is nothing but what hawk is doing to sumler is his typical EGO, hypocrite BS. I don't care how many games CU wins, hawk is a doosh and needs to get the eff out of boulder.

attachment.php

What is this talk about Hawkins revoking Sumler's scholarship? NONSENSE I TELL YOU. RUBBISH. Why would he do that? Crazy talk. Of course Hawkins wished to honor Sumler's scholarship. IT WAS THAT DOG SUMLER WHO THREW IT BACK IN HIS FACE!!!!

- I'm going to keep this running joke until it's not funny anymore. This could take some time...

Anybody remember that movie in the early 80s "All the Right Moves" with Tom Cruise, Lea Thompson, Chris Penn, and Craig T. Nelson in it? That's what this saga is becoming.

Only difference is that Craig T. Nelson's character was a good coach.

didn't Craig T nelson play coach?

[video=youtube;NWxHWcGCjSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWxHWcGCjSM[/video]

we want Craig T nelson because if he could coach Minnesota St to a National title... AND COACH Jimmy Mcelroy and chaz Michael Michaels to pull of the iron lotus and become the first all male air to win gold... then he can certainly change the culture here

Last edited:
Honestly, you guys hate Hawkins so much it kind of blows my mind. This thing has become personal for most of you. I'm not sure what to think about this whole Sumler thing. If it is a simple case of Hawkins getting even with him for leaving, then, yeah, not good at all. But, really, wouldn't you at least like to know the other side before you pass all this judgement? I doubt that we will ever hear both sides, however.

why don't you guys go easier on plati?

he's the SID.

it. is. his. job. to. stay. on. message.

This is ridiculous. An athletic scholarship at a Division 1 university needs to be earned by being an ATHLETE. I wish I got a full ride through a semester of college just because I had "earned it" by working hard. Sumler is no longer an athlete at Colorado and is therefore just like any other student paying their own way. I don't care what the circumstances are. In my opinion Hawkins was doing the politically CORRECT thing.

This is ridiculous. An athletic scholarship at a Division 1 university needs to be earned by being an ATHLETE. I wish I got a full ride through a semester of college just because I had "earned it" by working hard. Sumler is no longer an athlete at Colorado and is therefore just like any other student paying their own way. I don't care what the circumstances are. In my opinion Hawkins was doing the politically CORRECT thing.

Sorry. This is why college athletics and the NCAA are a ****ing joke. He put in his time, will earn his degree and probably has the busted knees to show for it. He is under no commitment to stay with the program and given that he'll graduate and is going to move on after this semester it's bush league. At least with Hawk's new policy we can expect to spend less per year given that our graduating seniors won't be on scholarship for their last semester....

Remember this the next time someone doesn't sign their LOI and you bitch about how a 17 year old needs to keep his word, blah, blah, blah. If coaches can take back scholarships then kids should be able to move on without taking a 1 year hit to their eligibility (not the case with Sumler, but he's graduating). What a ****ty way to treat someone that has been a reliable back for you for the past 4 years. Yup, I count his RS year as putting in his dues as well.

Totally disagree with you. Sumler played the season so he earned his scholarship for the year just like the other seniors. Here is kid who has not got in trouble, has played hard, has obviously done what it take in the classroom since he is graduating in four years, and now the coach is screwing him over. So much for doing things the right way.

If I had Hawkins email address, I could tell him how to quit being a jerk (at least on this situation). Isn't that what he asked for -

Dan Hawkins said "I go, 'Guys, you can rip me all you want and I'm good with that. But just tell me how to get better.' You can tell me I'm a jerk. OK, I'm a jerk. WHY am I a jerk? What do I need to do not to be a jerk?,"

Last edited:
I'm not defending Hawk on this one, but in fairness, no one on this board has the faintest idea of what transpired between Sumler and DH. Sure, if Sumler acted honorably and in a straightforward manner, it seems petty that his ticket would be pulled. But, we don't know it happened that way. Hawk hasn't won a lot of games, to be sure, but he generally seems to know the difference between right and wrong.

I'm withholding judgment until I know more facts. (I realize that's heresy on boards like this.) And, if more facts don't come out (as in the Scott departure), I'm going to refrain from concluding based on this incident that Hawkins is juice box sucking, lunch pail carrying, moron.

Really, what facts would support Hawk's jerking his scholly? Never been in trouble, got the grades and his degree, played hard, etc. Hawk is a GIANT hypocrite, here's a kid who he recruited, from all outside appearances, "did things the right way" and gets screwed in the end by what appears to be a petty little man masquerading as a big time FB coach.

I agree with Hawkins to revoke his scholarship. He is not a student athlete and why would WE have to pay for him to pursue his career at another school? It's not like he is injured and we are taking away his scholly, the guy is lucky to have 3 1/2 years of free education and if he chooses to leave our football program, LATER!

I agree with Hawkins to revoke his scholarship. He is not a student athlete and why would WE have to pay for him to pursue his career at another school? It's not like he is injured and we are taking away his scholly, the guy is lucky to have 3 1/2 years of free education and if he chooses to leave our football program, LATER!

As opposed to Tau who has 3 years of education paid for, has been suspended and academically ineligible and so far has never played. sounds fair....

Really, what facts would support Hawk's jerking his scholly? Never been in trouble, got the grades and his degree, played hard, etc. Hawk is a GIANT hypocrite, here's a kid who he recruited, from all outside appearances, "did things the right way" and gets screwed in the end by what appears to be a petty little man masquerading as a big time FB coach.

A couple of things come to mind. One would be that during or after the season Sumler told Hawkins he was staying and then went back on his word. Another would, and maybe could be linked to the "back on his word" arguement, is that once Hawkins found out Sumler was leaving, he decided to give the remainder of the scholly to a deserving walk on as a reward for his loyalty and work. There are probably a lot of things we are not even aware of.

A couple of things come to mind. One would be that during or after the season Sumler told Hawkins he was staying and then went back on his word. Another would, and maybe could be linked to the "back on his word" arguement, is that once Hawkins found out Sumler was leaving, he decided to give the remainder of the scholly to a deserving walk on as a reward for his loyalty and work. There are probably a lot of things we are not even aware of.

Agree with you here, DBT. I think the reason this stinks to high heaven with us is because there is A LOT going on behind the scenes we don't know about. And not that we interweb scum :smile2: need to know everything, but this is where I'll go back to my old argument/suggestion that the Ath. Dept. needs to invest som e ca$hola in a public relations director of some sort so that they can head off a lot of this speculation and rampant rumor mongering that does nothing but tarnish the image of CU. Jus' my $0.02

Fair enough, what about CU's word to a schoarship athlete? Is that worth anything anymore? Schollys get pulled , I get that, but usually because there is some sort of violation, and occasionally, because the player can't cut it. After four seasons and earning a degree, and not getting into trouble publicly, he's rewarding by getting the shaft on his scholly at mid-term. That just looks great. If I had a kid, I'd definitely want them to be in that situation.

Fair enough, what about CU's word to a schoarship athlete? Is that worth anything anymore? Schollys get pulled , I get that, but usually because there is some sort of violation, and occasionally, because the player can't cut it. After four seasons and earning a degree, and not getting into trouble publicly, he's rewarding by getting the shaft on his scholly at mid-term. That just looks great. If I had a kid, I'd definitely want them to be in that situation.
I think the scholarship was to cover 5 years in school to play 4 seasons of football. I honestly do not know how Sumler's career at CU has played out. How many years has he provided both in playing time and in total time? Has it been the full 5 to play 4?

I think the scholarship was to cover 5 years in school to play 4 seasons of football. I honestly do not know how Sumler's career at CU has played out. How many years has he provided both in playing time and in total time? Has it been the full 5 to play 4?

I believe he's been in the program 4 seasons total - played 3, 1 RS year. He graduates in 4 at the end of this semester.

I believe he's been in the program 4 seasons total - played 3, 1 RS year. He graduates in 4 at the end of this semester.
OK, just playing Devil's Advocate here: Did Sumler, then, not fulfill his part of the contract?

Back