What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scotty McKnight & Markques Simas

Interesting observation on Hansen. I'm no coach, but he runs through his checks quickly, if at all. He does rely on his scrambling, but that's somewhat related to our seive of an offensive line. He seems to have a knack for making throws on the run, and when faced with nebraska's D-line, I can't really blaming him for abandoning the pocket early.

The Offensive line is still pretty young and is plagued by a rapid and repeated coaching turnover. They are massive, they are athletic, and sadly they don't seem to be playing up to their talent level.

I noticed it in the NU game last year when he was in and it was really apparent in the KU game this year. It paid off that game but more often than not it will be unsustainable.

It may be the QB coaching or just the fact that he is a younf guy without alot of games under his belt. The overall athleticism is there just maybe not the mental part quite yet.

That Ussery guy looks the part of a B12 receiver from what I could tell as well from warm ups.

I noticed it in the NU game last year when he was in and it was really apparent in the KU game this year. It paid off that game but more often than not it will be unsustainable.

It may be the QB coaching or just the fact that he is a younf guy without alot of games under his belt. The overall athleticism is there just maybe not the mental part quite yet.

That Ussery guy looks the part of a B12 receiver from what I could tell as well from warm ups.

In an amazing turnaround from this season, receivers could be the team's strength next season.

In an amazing turnaround from the first half of this season, receivers could be the team's strength next season.

FIFY

The last half of this year, I'd say that WR was a team strength. We were challenged with depth behind Scotty and Simas, but those two were excellent. The depth should be excellent next season. I think our offense could end up being pretty exciting to watch.

I think we all agree that he can't ignore reads and quick passes to roll out and expect to make big plays every time. He has improved in that department this season. He still turns and runs a little too fast sometimes, but I mean our OL was straight awful all season. If he stepped up into the pocket more often than not we'd be the Packers of college football. He also has very little overall experience considering he is a true sophomore, last season before we put him in vs KSU he was running the scout team. A full offseason should benefit him greatly, as well as the experience he got this season as the starter.

FIFY

The last half of this year, I'd say that WR was a team strength. We were challenged with depth behind Scotty and Simas, but those two were excellent. The depth should be excellent next season. I think our offense could end up being pretty exciting to watch.

Oddly we didn't change receivers in the second half of the season. I'm trying to think what it was that changed in the second half that made them more effective. They were probably just practicing harder, I guess.

Oddly we didn't change receivers in the second half of the season. I'm trying to think what it was that changed in the second half that made them more effective. They were probably just practicing harder, I guess.

Maybe Dan Hawkins can coach a little bit and all the success he had in his career up until coming to CU wasn't a total fluke? :wink2:

How silly of me to think that the head coach had anything to do with the team's success when he was there.
How silly of me to think that said teams greater and more consistent success AFTER he left means nothing as well :wink2:

How silly of me to think that said teams greater and more consistent success AFTER he left means nothing as well :wink2:

Debate wasn't whether Peterson is a better coach than Hawkins. He may very well be. But you seemed to want to give him all the credit for Hawkins' success at Boise.

Heck, Hawkins at least deserves credit for sticking with Peterson when Peterson considered quitting and others were saying to let him go during the time that family issues meant Peterson had to cut back his hours and couldn't take time to leave the state of Idaho for recruiting.

Maybe Dan Hawkins can coach a little bit and all the success he had in his career up until coming to CU wasn't a total fluke? :wink2:

Well, Scotty kept doing what he has been doing for the last couple years. His stats are up this in part because of getting some yardage in garbage time (Toledo comes to mind). As far as Simas, just getting on the field and staying there is pretty much all he needed. He missed the first two games to suspension and was still hobbled a bit by the knee injury after that. But when he was finally at full strength, we all saw what coaches have been raving about for a while now.

So yeah, Coach Hawkins gets some kudos for their play, but I think it is safe to say those two did not need a lot of work. He can really show his coaching acumen if Clemons/Simmons/Wright, etc. are ready to step in and play right away next season.

Well, Scotty kept doing what he has been doing for the last couple years. His stats are up this in part because of getting some yardage in garbage time (Toledo comes to mind). As far as Simas, just getting on the field and staying there is pretty much all he needed. He missed the first two games to suspension and was still hobbled a bit by the knee injury after that. But when he was finally at full strength, we all saw what coaches have been raving about for a while now.

So yeah, Coach Hawkins gets some kudos for their play, but I think it is safe to say those two did not need a lot of work. He can really show his coaching acumen if Clemons/Simmons/Wright, etc. are ready to step in and play right away next season.
thankfully, he will not be WR coach next year, so their development will be in someone else's hands very soon.

Jesus guys, I was actually just trying to give TH a little credit. Sorry to be so cryptic.

thankfully, he will not be WR coach next year, so their development will be in someone else's hands very soon.

If they're ready to contribute right away next season, Hawk deserves some credit.

Jesus guys, I was actually just trying to give TH a little credit. Sorry to be so cryptic.

I figured that might be what you were hinting at, but I was not sure. Anyway, I think it is fair to say Hawkins was an okay WR coach. Nothing special, but not horrible either. I will be interested to see how Ambrose does.

Boise State's last 4 Head Coaches:

Houston Nutt
Dirk Koetter
Dan Hawkins
Chris Petersen
hmmm. Nutt has issues, but he at least has had some success in spurts. Peterson's record against BCS schools is the thing that distinguishes him from his predecessors.

hmmm. Nutt has issues, but he at least has had some success in spurts. Peterson's record against BCS schools is the thing that distinguishes him from his predecessors.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If a nutt's gonna have success, that would be the place to do it.

I laughed. I'll be shocked if anyone didn't. :lol:

But you're still a child, Wally.

Any word on how Ussery, Thornton, and Darden have progressed this year? Im not expecting much of them but it would be nice to see them make a play here and there. I dont know how much speed we will have but we are gonna have some size for sure.

Any word on how Ussery, Thornton, and Darden have progressed this year? Im not expecting much of them but it would be nice to see them make a play here and there. I dont know how much speed we will have but we are gonna have some size for sure.

Thornton works with Riddle since he is a tight end, so I am relly not sure what to expect from him (although he looked great in all scrimmages I saw). He is a prototypical TE. As far as Ussery and Dardon go, you're guess is as good as mine. I would expect Clemmons to make more of an impact than those two

I'm hearing great things about Thornton. The hype is that he's as explosive an athlete as we've ever had at TE and the sky's the limit.

On Ussery and Darden, I've heard they were very good in practice the last third of the year and everyone's pretty enthusiastic. They were kind of overshadowed on the practice squad by Clemons, though, who a lot of observers say is our best all around WR.

I saw Clemons play a little at Michigan, he passes the eyeball test, thats for sure. Our wr corps are actually gonna look like other schools across the country for a change. We will have better size that we have had in awhile. I know Thorton is a te but I hope he is good enough where we can split him out from time to time, like San Diego does with Gates. That puts alot of pressure on a defense, too fast for a linebacker, too big for a corner or safety.

Simas was great down the stretch, but for next year he needs to work on breaking tackles and extending plays. He seems to go down on first contact or run out of bounds rather than really fight for extra yards and a potentially very big play. But, man, he's open a lot and makes nice catches.

Back